Lucky 13

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Today is my birthday.
But today is more important to me for another reason...
We brought B home from the hospital on my birthday.
What a gift she was then. And what a gift she continues to be!

THIRTEEN years ago today, B came home with us for the first time. Did you catch that number? Yes, my first-born...the child I have loved the longest is a *cough, sputter, wheeze, sniff* a teenager.

Teenager or not...future angst-ridden traumatic moments aside...I love this girl. She is a joy to be around. (As long as she has woken up under her own conditions.)
She still devours books. She continues to write and is really really good. Her haikus are HILARIOUS. There is a part of her that still truly believes she can fly if only she could figure out the logistics. And I secretly think she still believes Hogwarts is real. (Come on, B. You know it's true.) Basically, this beautiful *cough, sigh* teenager is a dreamer and daily amazes me with her imagination. This comes in handy when babysitting...of which she is a darn good one. :)

B loves easily. She would befriend the entire world population if possible. She is completely without guile and holds no judgements or pre-conceived notions about ANYONE. If you want a friend who will love you unconditionally...B is your gal. I admire her HUGE capacity to love so completely. I see in her a gift to love as the Savior wants us to love. B is my hero.

B is also a *deep breath* teenager and thus requested a cell phone for her birthday.

She is a seriously good texter.

B is loved by all.


...including her Mama who remembers her own birthday each year only as it pertains to that special day I carried that sweet-smelling, snuggly, squooshy, chubby-cheeked, perfect gift into our home and our family for the very first time.

Happy Birthday, beautiful B. Mama loves you!

6 comments:

Hannah said...

you mean Hogwarts ISN"T REAL?!?! haha Happy Birthday gals! B has grown up to be quite a beautiful young woman! Way to go momma! You done raised her right :)

Jessica M said...

Happy 13th!!! Hope the birthday is spectacular and the texts start rolling like wildfire. Tell B that I'm expecting a text soon, something totally random and cheerful. =0)

PS- Cannot wait for Friday!!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

We LOVE our B babysitter!!!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Hard to believe the toddler I met so many years ago is now a teenager . . . and such a delightful one! I think you're wonderful, B!

Stacey said...

Happy Birthday, birthday girls! I cannot believe B is a lucky 13! You've done a great job with your cute little familiy!

Becki said...

Happy birthday to you both!!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley