I love being Elizabeth Bennet.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

As of this morning at 9am, my Honey and I have been married for 13 years. Wowzers. 13 years!
I remember when 3 MONTHS sounded like a long time to be married.
And we're just getting started! :)

If anyone were to complain how married life gets boring and predictable after a while, I would laugh. I can't recall a time since I met Steve that we have been "bored". I'm absolutely certain he would never in a million years claim life with me to be "predictable". (At least not if he didn't want a thump on the head.)
I personally believe that even with trials and squabbles, you continue to learn and love...deeper and truer.

I even enjoy love that pokes fun.
Ahem...case in point:

I walked into the bedroom this morning to find Steve and lil man looking through these note cards, which were a gift from a most favored friend. I "politely requested" that they not waste any of them since they were to be strictly rationed for super-special occasions.
Can you see how fabulous they are?
Jane Austen...Pride and Prejudice??
In a NOTE CARD???
Combo made in heaven.

Each one has a quote from the book.
They are exactly and quite precisely perfect.
The one above reads:
"You must allow me to tell you how
ardently I admire and love you."
That's right, buddy. Then let good ol' Lizzy ream you like you deserve...for being so obliviously delicious.

This morning, I received a card from my Honey.
It just so happened to be this particular card.
At first, I thought: "Gee, Honey. Thanks. Sure would hate for you to actually BUY me a card." But I was actually much more interested in the fact that Steve chose a Jane Austen card at all...for any reason. He's not exactly fond of the great Mr. Darcy love which frequently explodes in our home. He just doesn't "get it", and usually finds great pleasure in mocking my enormous capacity for "getting it" and drowning in it. So his card choice was utterly intriguing.

I read the card and immediately said:
"You know I have to post this, don't you?"

Here is, without a doubt, the best card Steve has ever given me. It is loving and silly and sweet. And my favorite part is finding out that he actually READ excerpts of the book to find just the right phrases that mirrored his own sentiments. I'm fairly certain you'll recognize one or two. Awwwww, right??


Dana,
While I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words which laid the
foundation for my unbounded love for you, I have been humbled over the course of these many years of marriage by your love returned.
You have, and continue to, demonstrate through your selfless affectations
to myself and unto our sweet family how insufficient are all my pretensions to please a woman so worthy of being pleased.
If my heart can convey but one sentiment on this, our anniversary, let it
whisper directly to your heart how ardently I love and admire you. I cannot
deny, for it is a truth universally acknowledged, that you are my better half;
the reason I maintain hope in that which oft appears unattainable; and the
greatest motivation for my improvement as we pursue our eternal family.
Happy Anniversary, my dearest love,
Steve


It's okay...you can laugh. I did. But it's the best kind of laugh.
And all together now: "Awwwwww!"

Happy Anniversary, Steve. You will always be my Mr. Darcy.
And don't think I won't remind you daily that I am a
"woman so worthy of being pleased".

9 comments:

Mandi said...

That is love!! ha ha Happy Anniversary to you two!

Karen said...

Too fun. Happy Anniversary. 13 isn't long at all. Try 15 sometime.

hope said...

LOL!! Oh my. If Shawn did that it would be hysterical!!! But this is still quite entertaining.

Happy Anniversary. You do make such a sweet couple.

Julie said...

Awww...how sweet! Happy Anniversary!!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Oh, aaaahhhh.... swoon.

What a man.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Yet one more reason to like Steve! Happy, happy anniversary to a couple I love!

Natalie said...

I love seeing the notecards again, they were a very fun find. I am so impressed by Steve's love note for you. Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple!

Bianca said...

Love it!!! It gives me hope for all men out there who just don't "get it" (mine included). Happy Anniversary!!!

Charity said...

Awwww...he he

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley