Snow again...ew.

Friday, January 8, 2010

As I sit snuggled under my blanket, sipping mint hot chocolate, I'm fondly remembering the past two days of snow-play. Yes, I can fondly remember them because I am INSIDE all warm and snuggly. Yet I fear that as I drag my pictures into place, I will be rudely interrupted with a chill or a shiver as I TRULY remember the past two days of snow-play. Seriously...it has been FREHEEHEEHEEZING! Literally.

But the kids, K and lil man specifically, have had the BEST time. On day one, we played for a bit then came inside to warm up...only to realize it was snowing again! As soon as fingers and toes returned to their normal color, they were begging to go back out. This outing proved a bit more fruitful than the previous one. K and lil man joyfully found the driveway re-covered with snow, and this time there was enough to make...

Snow angels. (not too bad, eh?)

K was determined to "build" a "snowman".

Lil man wanted to roll up the snow until he had a big ball for his snowman (like he's seen on TV). He worked so hard, trying to get a ball started.
















K helped him get the perfect snowball started, but lil man quickly realized that the snowman of his dreams just wasn't going to happen. On the other hand, K was so happy with her snowball, that it is now on display.
















Day 2 offered even more snow.
This time, our grass and trees even enjoyed a short-lived friendship.


As I was genuinely enjoying the beauty, I happened upon a fun little escapade at our back-yard neighbor's house. The end of their driveway has a fantastic slope DOWN into their backyard. Their boys were having a BLAST!


What, then, happened at our house?
K was off to find a place to sled.

About three years ago, we had a good snowfall and some of our "hill"ier areas were actually covered. The girls had the best time "sledding" down them on inner tubes and pool floats. Unfortunately, I cleaned things out a little too much at the end of summer...deciding to buy new pool toys when summer rolls back around...so there were no "sleds" to be found. At least in the garage. But the kitchen cabinets hold a plethora of snow-day items...like cookie sheets.

K tries the first "hill"y area...no good.


K tries the next "hill"y area...no good.


But she did not give up, and eventually found the perfect spot!


Yeah, not really.


But she did learn if you kick your brother's cookie sheet with just the right amount of strength, he'll slide a good 36 inches before he hits asphalt.


I'm sure our neighbors who witnessed this feat of "extreme sledding" wondered why I gleefully encouraged K's dogged determination. Well, why not? As long as they keep a positive outlook and pleasant disposition, I'm more than happy for my little people to show such persistence. K and lil man had a grand ole time scoping out potential sledding areas. Of course, it didn't really pay off and they had frozen backsides from their efforts, but they accepted defeat with rosy cheeks and funny memories.
~
B also discovered that sometimes...you just need to laugh it off.
She and a cousin spent time exploring the forest-y area behind our house. It really is beautiful back there, especially with a light blanket of snow. Obviously, it was enticing to my daughter, the explorer.














We also have a creek that runs through the trees and it appeared to be frozen solid. What saying comes to mind? Appearances can be deceiving?
B found this out...the cold, wet way.
She also found out you should test the ice with a stick before putting your entire body-weight on it. I found out how grateful I am that we only have a shallow creek behind our house instead of a pond or lake. Holy Heart-Failure!
~
I'm also grateful for precious little boys in their Mama's scarf.

~
So now I will enjoy the cozy warmth of our home. I will drink hot chocolate. I will bake brownies for my family. I will force them to play a board game with me...the one I love and they can barely tolerate. And I will appreciate the snow from inside.

Oh yeah, and I will once again love that I live in Alabama where 2 cm of snow is about it.
Stay warm!

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Love the pix. Thanks for the update. We still have snow and ice on our driveway, but that may be gone by the end of the day. It is just so COLD! Be careful when you go shopping.

B said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becki said...

Way to get out there and enjoy that freezing coldness! Sinc I just got back from Utah, I wasn't as excited about it to tell you the truth! It is tooo cold!

Bianca said...

I've definitely been hibernating this last week. I am just waiting for warmer temps on Monday.....PLEASE!!!!!!

Karen said...

Sledding on the drive way on a cookie sheet? Really that is hysterical.

Wendyrful said...

I remember a men's volley ball team that came to play at BYU, and stayed in the dorms near mine. We met up in the dining facility, and eventually ended up sliding down bell tower hill, on "borrowed" lunch trays. I will say the snow was better, but good for them for trying. My kids have had a blast, but Rebekah sent pic's to her NY friends and classmates, abt. how we got out of school for a skif of snow! ;-)

Jessica M said...

Fun pictures! K's snowman made me burst out laughing. Love it! Glad the kids had so much fun.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley