Happy Birthday to you!
That's how we celebrated New Year's Day per lil man's request.
He insisted on cake and candles. Okay...why not?

We said "See Ya" to 2009 with dinner, fireworks, hot chocolate & popcorn with some of our favorite friends...until around 9:00.
Then we went it alone.
I knew the girls would stay up until midnight...they have for a couple of years now. I really wanted lil man in bed. (He can be a bit of a grump with limited sleep.) Problem was, he was WIRED after the Giles left and ran around like a lunatic for almost an hour. Steve laid down with him in our bed until he fell asleep...of course Steve was out like a light too.
The girls escalated into unknown realms of silliness and giggles while I listened from the kitchen. Around 11pm, I woke Steve up so he could share in the hysteria with me.
Mastermind was the game of choice for this New Year's Eve. The girls must have played 20 times.
We counted down til the New Year, kissed and hugged, shared resolutions, offered our first family prayer of the year, and discussed how we wanted to read/study our scriptures this year. Then it was off to bed for all but me. I insisted on folding that one last load of laundry before I went to sleep. I had FrAnTiCaLlY been doing laundry for two days so it would be D-O-N-E. I am happy...no, JOYOUSLY ECSTATIC to report that it is complete. COM-Pah-LETE!
Can I get an amen?
Can I just dive deep down in the glorious comfort of knowing that I don't have laundry hanging over my head? Ahhhhhhhhh. (deep breath...and) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Feels. So. Good.
Can I keep this up? Not a clue. And I'm not even going to worry about what will come...I am just enjoying...no, RELISHING the moment that is now. And right now...my joy is full.
(FYI: Laundry is a bit of a personal goliath for me.)
I've been mulling (don't you just love that word?) over what my resolutions would be for 2010. I usually hesitate to make any because I honestly don't enjoy feeling like a loser. *smirk*
However, I do enjoy goals and challenges...so here we go:
I really enjoyed two of my goals last year, and have decided to continue with them. Both are encapsulated by two quotes:
"Try a little harder to be a little better." ~Gordon B. Hinckley
"I'm just trying to matter." ~unknown
Here are some of the additions:
1) choose my happy (in any situation, find a reason to smile, give thanks, realize a happiness or even a joy, don't become bogged down by negative or frustrations)
2) find a true friend in my Savior (I know he is my friend, but I want to feel it so strongly that his presence and influence are absolutely and unquestionably real to me...as real as my friendship with my husband, my mom, or any of you)
3) I found another quote... "The greatest reward is not what we receive for our labor, but what we become by it." ~John Ruskin
May we all enjoy a New Year full in it's promise of happiness, joy, friendships, and service. And may each day bring smiles, laughter, and at least one silly giggle.






6 comments:
ACK! Laundry!!! I have 3 clean loads taunting me right now with another in the washer and one more waiting to be washed. It NEVER ends!!! Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you! Glad you made progress with the laundry - I HATE how it doesn't ever stop! Glad you had a good time - even if you did have a few sleepy heads on your hands!
Happy New Year from Decatur. I'll see you later today. Don't forget that Grandmom is 85 today.
I'm teaching in RS tomorrow... the topic?! Joy! I found out in D&C 11:13,that joy is an indicator of the Spirit. That blew me away... I take that to mean that since I have the Gift of the Holy Ghost... so comes with that a responsibility to have Joy, choose it, grasp it, never throw it away! So heres to a JOYFUL New year, whoo hoo!!!
Wow. Thanks Dawn for that little scripture. And Dana, yay for your laundry! Happy New Year!
Hooray, you updated your blog and with LOTS of fun pictures. It looks like a wonderful Christmas and New Years at your house and CONGRATS on the laundry! That is huge for you, way to go!
Happy New Year, friend!
Post a Comment