I spent today at home with the intention of tackling our "literally can't take one step into it" junk room. Did I do it? No. I didn't even start...but I talked about it a few times. Now when I do get to the execution phase of my plans, I'll have already worked through all the details in my mind. I'm sure it will make things go much faster. Yeah...that's it, I'm sure.
Joking aside, I really do need this room cleaned out. I also have two closets that are slowly driving me insane. Only 3 drawers...that's not too bad, is it? This doesn't include my bedroom/bathroom. Those areas are in their own category of "Clean Sweep" nightmares. (Don't you just love a TLC reference? I know they make me happy.) Ahem, moving on...
I really need to make myself behave and follow my own plan. If my plan is going to succeed, I MUST accomplish this goal first. No pressure, right? This so-called plan is directly related to my realization from yesterday. Yes, I finally get to the point. :)
I'm an all-or-nothing girl.
It is extremely hard for me to know when to stop...whether it's cleaning, laundry, a project, writing my thoughts (obviously, but hey...at least I can admit it), eating, or decorating. I feel like if I can't do it ALL, then I don't really want to start. But once I DO start...I can't make myself stop. Big problem when my all-or-nothing issue for the day involves a box of Oreos. Many times, I plan a project and it grows exponentially. I have invested hundreds and hundreds of hours on so many things that really could have been done simpler. I'm not saying many of these things weren't fabulous *wink wink*, but the time I spent...crazy and out of control. I lose LOTS of sleep. Ridiculous. I need to edit.
And that...is my plan.
I will edit.
Planning big (okay, ginormous) may be what is needed in some circumstances, but turning into a walking zombie to accomplish...is not. I have decided that I will begin with the holidays. Go big or go home, right?
I will not kill myself over Thanksgiving. I cannot possibly have every baseboard repainted and the floors refinished by then...no one cares anyway...so why bother? I will not slave over every dessert known to man just to make sure that all varieties are appreciated. I will not lose more than 2 hours of sleep planning a fun craft or game for the kids to participate in that day. I will do what is necessary and still probably travel a block or so down that second mile, but not so much that I can't enjoy my family or Thanksgiving day itself.
I will not become miserable in the days and weeks leading up to Christmas by trying to cover every lateral surface with Christmas decorations. Sometimes it must look like I vomit Christmas all over my house. Nice visual...you're welcome. I will put up our trees, deck my mantel, and brighten my kitchen with festive joy...but I will edit. I will fill our home with just enough Christmas things to LOOK "tis the season", but I will try even harder to fill our home with the proper Spirit so we always remember WHY "tis the season".
Growing up, I could close my eyes at any given moment and surround myself with gloriously warm and cozy Christmas memories. It wasn't because of the gifts or the stuff...it was because of the feeling in our home at Christmas-time. Those are the best memories. Those are the best feelings...a big hug of security and peace, and just knowing that you are loved beyond any reason. Waking up every morning to Christmas music. Sitting in a darkened room lit only by the multi-colored lights on our 20-year-old Christmas tree. Watching mom roll out her cookie dough. Getting excited because you knew she was saving some for Daddy because he loved the dough better than the baked cookie. Knowing that he would share this favorite Christmas treat with you over a game of Cribbage at the kitchen table. Reading Christmas devotionals every night and lighting the Advent candles. The smell of wax and smoke after blowing out the candles before going to bed. Feeling so completely safe and loved that you could wrap yourself up in it like a favorite blanket. Waking up with a smile knowing that Daddy was getting ready for the day and Mom was in the kitchen getting our day ready for us.
That...is what I want to decorate our home with.
I will still bring out my pretties. They will still bring me giddy giggles. But I will edit. I will enjoy, and I will reflect our Savior's love to my family. And they, in turn, will reflect that same love to others. Our Christmas decorating won't just be the store-bought, hand-crafted, twinkling kind this year.
At least that's my plan.
And today, we still are thankful:
Steve is thankful for time spent with lil man while I was with the girls at play rehearsal.
Please feel free to roll your eyes or keep a tally of every time I use those two words "play rehearsal" over the next three months. I'll apologize now.
B is thankful for making new friends.
K is thankful for doing better on her piano recital pieces.
Lil man is thankful for "luvving you & that's all, nothling else".
I am thankful for a soft pillow.
Tombstone
6 years ago






8 comments:
Whenever I start to look back over the years and wonder what kind of job I did as a mother, you always post something that brings a tear to my eye and a tug on my heart.
Great post Dana. I will pray that you are able to "edit" and just be able to enjoy the holidays. :)
But please don't "edit" too much on the Thanksgiving desserts. LOL! :)
Ok, so IF you do decide to go all or nothing on Oreos just one more time... go buy the fudge mint dipped oreos at Publix.... OH MY GOSH. They are heaven. I think better than thin mint girl scout cookies if thats possible. ;)
PLEASE don't edit te Thanksgiving desserts!
Ummm, so by editing, you mean... I may need professional editing help because I just went from 2 Christmas trees last year to 18 for this year... And I still want 5 garganchuan wreaths for my family room... Shawn is none the wiser... that is until I blog about my recent purchases... and unleash them from their hinding place in the attic...then I'm in HUGE doooody!
There is just too many good ideas in that brain of yours. Poor girl. I never know how you do it all. You do all that "amazing" for the Christmas festival and then go all out on your house. I need more sleep, so editing is the only way for me to go.
I will spead the love to others. :) And I hope you can enjoy the holidays more this year. Also I want to try having a candle going before bed. :) Good ttimes, Good times. :)
Oh Dana, your home memories are beautiful. It made me want to go home and hug my momma.
Post a Comment