Birthdays and a Bathroom

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lil man's "birf"day was last Tuesday.
My baby is now a big boy of 4.
And I still can't decide how I feel about that.

Since part of the birfday was spent at Preschool...of course we had to make sure everyone knew. :) And believe me. We heard this phrase...a lot.


After Preschool, Nana & Granddaddy took lil man and cousin R (who has a bday only 4 days later) birthday shopping and out for lunch. He had so much fun and I spent 2 extra hours in a quiet house. Not a bad deal. Thanks Nana and Granddaddy!

Later that evening, lil man wanted to use the rest of his cupcakes for his family party. Thanks, dude. That made Mommy's day tons less hectic. That's my boy!

And how do you eat a cupcake? Well, you don't. You lick it. Yummmmm.

Four cupcakes and ONE bite. I sure am glad I didn't spend time baking and icing. But the kids enjoyed, so it was perfect.

Will I ever get a "normal" shot? Or is this our normal?

4th Birthday moments to remember:

*Lil man had been singing the birthday song to himself for about a week before the actual day...so when B and K begin to sing Happy Birthday to You...lil man interrupts and says: No no no. Not YOU...ME!" So everyone then has to sing Happy Birthday to Me. :)
*Steve called from work to ask lil man about his day at Preschool and told him Happy Birthday. Lil man says, with a sigh: "Yeah, I know. I heard it a million times already."
*When lil man blew out his candles, K told him to make a wish. He scrunched up his face in thought and finally said: "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
~
About lil man:
Lil man loves to laugh and giggle. He completely enjoys being tickled until he gets the hiccups and has to pee. He is a tornado...never still...even when he sleeps. He is by far the pickiest eater I have ever encountered. He eats chocolate-chip waffles and pancakes for breakfast, goldfish (and they HAVE to be the colored ones...he swears all others taste different) and/or PB crackers for lunch, and fish sticks (maybe, if I'm lucky) for dinner. Oreos are his favorite treat. And every once in a while, I can convince him to eat an apple. He constantly rides his tricycle in the house...FAST!...sometimes catching corners on two wheels. He used to be my dream sleeper, but now it's total crap. He says there are monsters in his room and always wants to sleep with someone. (WHO TOLD HIM ABOUT MONSTERS?!) He loves loves loves to sing and dance. He and K can put on a show! He loves to show his underwear. (I dunno. Is that a boy thing?) He still doesn't see the point in peeing standing up. (Too much info? Sorry.) He terrorizes, yet lavishes love on the dogs...who take it from him most of the time. He ADORES Spongebob! Lil man's nickname is SpongeCar UnderPants. He is addicted to the computer. Seriously, he is better at some games than I am and his memory is out of control. He has been able to fully spell his name for about 3 months. Counts to twenty. Knows colors, shapes, and can visually pick out any number and letter. He sounds out several letters and tries to find things that start with that sound. He is a pill about prayer time, but his prayers are always good for a laugh. He finally sits through most of Sacrament meeting without us needing to tranquilize him, but he still is hesitant about Sunbeams. Lil man is funny! He is a teaser. He'll tell you the craziest things just to either get you mad or scared or laughing and then say: "I just kiiiiidding!" He always steals my Propels, but it's okay 'cause I love him. A lot.
~
And Happy Birthday to Steve!
Steve's bday was at the end of August, but better late than never. He turned 40 this year! Where did his 30s go? I swear he was just 28.
I had asked him what he wanted to do...thinking a big party or trip or something fantastical...but he really just wanted to stay home and spend time with me and the kids. Awwwwww. But I couldn't let such a great milestone go by without something special, so I contacted some family and friends...some we haven't spent time with since YSA days...and asked them to send me a thought/memory about Steve. I was not disappointed. I made sure we had exactly 40 notes, I typed and copied them out, then the girls and I hid them around the house like an Easter egg hunt. I told Steve since we didn't have a party and a reason to have our family and friends close by, he was still going to be able to feel their love on his birthday. With a little help, he found them all and we spent a good hour sitting on the couch listening to Steve read his special birthday notes. I put a couple aside for him to read once the kids were in bed, and boy was he surprised at who I had contacted! It might have been more fun for me to watch his expressions, but he insists it was the best birthday he ever had. Awwwwwwww.
~
On a personal note...I was overwhelmed with the love and respect that was expressed in the notes. I, of course, know my husband is an amazing man; but to read what others especially thought or remembered about Steve was truly inspiring and humbling.
~
Although some were tear-jerkers through and through, some made me literally laugh out loud.
My mom may have the best insight: Steve the "Fashion Setter": has found a way to wear jeans/shorts until they actually disintegrate and to wear shirts that are only held together by paint stains.
~
His brother Jon won the "Steel Magnolia" award for making me laugh out loud until I snorted and then reducing me to tears. I would share, but some memories are just better left within the family unit. :)
~
So many mentioned a time when Steve offered service in some way or another. Or what a hard worker he is. Or the fact that is a wonderful father. All true. One that meant so much to Steve because he always worries about being a good leader/manager was from a friend/co-worker:
Steve has a rare approach to leadership where he actively promotes individuals that work under his supervision, is quick to share credit and goes out of his way to recognize the accomplishments of others, regardless of how trivial they may be. As a result, he easily earns the respect and loyalty of those that work with him.
~
Steve may not be the most organized guy I know...he may be a bit of a slob...but those are habits that can easily be forgiven. What I do know...I want to be more like Steve.
~
Glare Alert! Cake with 40 candles is a sight to behold. :)

~
Speaking of Steve...
He completely remodeled our half-bath in the hallway! I wish I had a "before" picture, but I don't. Just trust. It was blah and boring and ick and I hated it. It was functional...that's the only positive. NOW, we have lots of positives!
~
Introducing...
Ahhh...I love it. Love the color, love the EVERYTHING!
I wish I could better pictures, but I don't know how to accommodate a camera in a small space.
Do you see the horizontal bead board? LOVE it!
~
Do you see my beautiful floor with the itty-baby glass tiles? LOVE it!

~
And let's try to take a peek at the most glorious bathroom mirror...ta da da ta da! LOVE it!

~
And we have give a nod to my FABulous light fixture...LOVE it!


What?
Excited?
Who, me?
Oh yeah, I am!
It looks so good! Seriously...come pee anytime.

8 comments:

Sandra said...

Thanks for the invitaion, but I don't think that I can make it to your house. So I'll just go here.

Anonymous said...

So many things to comment on!

First, Happy B-day to lil man!
Second, glad Steve's b-day was GREAT!
and third...LOVE the bathroom! Looks like y'all have been busy, busy!

Julie said...

What a great post! So many pics (Trevor through a fit over the Cars plates by the way -- he wants some) & love the lil man info!

Happy Belated Birthday to Steve! And love the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you that I love your new blog look! See I told you there were so many things to say! :)

shari said...

I agree with Sharon, so many things to say. Love your bathroom! I just want to put in a good word for Steve too. Steve is a good leader to young people. Brendan loved Steve and felt that he was a great example of a priesthood holder, and he wanted to be like him. Kendall loves Steve's Sunday school lessons. Thanks Steve and Happy Birthday!

Becki said...

You're so funny! I love little mans birfday shirt! What a great idea. Owens b-day is coming up...hmmm....

Beth said...

Lilman looks so grown up in that first picture! So bittersweet as they grow up... LOVE the Bathroom!

Mandi said...

Happy birthday all around! And the bathroom turned out FABULOUS!! I am loving the horizontal bead board. :)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley