A smattering...

Monday, May 25, 2009

What a month! ...or two.
Let me preface with acknowledging that we ALL have good and bad times. I would never presume that my most recent experiences outweigh anyone else's. So please, don't think I think I've cornered the market on "ugh". I know I haven't. But these things must be "written" down and remembered. You know...for when the next time comes around. ;)

The following is a glimpse.

Play rehearsals 3-4 times a week for 2 + hours a night...in Hartselle.
Meanwhile...trying to get ready for a big project at school.

A week or so before crunch time for rehearsals, I came down with the flu. It was NOT the swine flu as so many have disturbingly hoped it was (strange friends), just your average run-of-the-mill kick you in your booty makes you want to be in a coma hurts like the dickens cry in your sleep regular ol' flu...which quickly turned into a bacterial sinus infection. Nasty. And painful.

This is where I am eternally grateful for my husband (even though he was out of town through most of it...lucky guy), my mom, and my brother. Wow...did they step up! Thank you thank you thank you. I don't remember much from that week and a half, but I do know that I obviously survived and that all the kids are still healthy and they managed to get where they needed to be. Whew.

Okay, so once I was over my "conditions"...back into the routine.

Immediately, we were up against the last week of play rehearsals. We were there from (literally) sun up to sun down 6 days a week. The three days of performances KICKED MY TAIL. We had to be in full makeup, ready to jump into costume, out the door by 7am. (remember I have two other little people that had to be planned for...ugh) Then performances ran for 5 hours on Thursday, 5 during Friday DAY...then back to Madison for a couple of hours...before heading back out for Opening Night (the others were for elementary schools). Saturday was so crazy, between 3 performances, setting up the cast party, finishing director gifts, helping out, sorting tickets, giving driving directions, blah blah blah, yada yada yada...it is now a mere blur.

The next day was Mother's Day. When my precious family came in with breakfast in bed...I was WIPED! But they made my day. I love them. A lot. I tried not to be grumpy-tired. It wasn't their fault...okay, it was actually K's fault, but she would never see it that way. :)

Unfortunately, that evening...I had a cart in the ditch.

A friend and I had met at the school Saturday around 7am to decorate for Teacher Appreciation Week. There was no time on Friday and the schools had been shut down due to the swine flu (which I did NOT have) and we didn't get word that we could reschedule until Thursday. Ergh.

So Saturday morning it was. We got a lot done in the 3 hours I had, but HAD to get back to finish before Monday morning. So Sunday it was. No judging, please. It took all of an hour and a half. We had a great discussion about church and Sundays and how to keep a sweet spirit in spite of things sometimes. And I actually still don't feel guilty about it. So there. :)

Okay, so then Monday morning starts a semi-nutty week of Teacher Appreciation. We generally "appreciate" everyone who is employed within our school. And I do mean...everyone. Amen, Alisha? That would be about 125 individuals. The week is covered with gifts and treats and food and other fun stuff. It's a lot of work, but we love it...so we get sucked in every single year. :)

So I made it through Thursday's big luncheon...and hit a wall.

By 4pm, I had the WORST headache I have ever had and hope to never have again. It was so severe that I was literally scared. My girls were scared. Lil man didn't know what was going on. B made the mature decision that we should call my mom. (Steve was out of town again.) So my mom and dad came and saved the day. They had to spend the night...I was seriously knocked out by this headache. SO thankful they are close enough to come when we really really need them! I don't know what I would have done. I wound up having sick, severe headaches all the way until Wednesday.
It. was. not. pleasant.

I had an appointment with my ENT on Wednesday and of course, he started me on steroids...along with more grouchy-making antibiotics (seriously, I am a beast) and plenty of allergy meds. Great news is that all the meds have made a WONDERFUL difference! Stinky news is that the steriods are giving me a lovely puffy face and other areas. I mean it. I am BLOATED. I know it's worth it and I am SO HAPPY to have smell and taste back, but I will not be leaving my house much if I can help it...until I get to taper down the steroids and the swelling decides to go bye-bye.

This past Friday, I finally made it back to the school to finish up some small things. It's beginning to be bittersweet. We've been rezoned to a new school, and even though we are excited about the new changes, we will miss our happy comfort zone. Wednesday, I was voted in on the new PTA board for the new school. Hopefully I will be able to serve. If so, it should be fun...with some frustration and confusion thrown in, of course.

Now we have misc bdays, play dates, end of the year parties, teacher gifts, undecorating, getting K ready for Musical Theatre Camp, B ready for Cooking classes/art classes, lil man ready for swim lessons, all of us ready to help with Vacation Bible School in Decatur at Mom and Dad's church, and saving for our vacation to Point Clear in July. WooWee! Got to love summer! :)
Now if only I didn't look like a baby whale who just swallowed a whole school of guppies, I might be a little more excited.
I know I know...this too shall pass.

So things are getting better. Nothing was so bad that I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. But when you are sick and you hurt...things just seem harder to handle. And if you know me at all, you know I am NOT happy about being fat. Blech.

Thanks for sharing, thanks for indulging, thanks for supporting, thanks for loving me in spite of myself. And now...a few pictures:


K and "Fern"


Opening night...K with her flowers and her mouth open.
Lovely. :)


"Templeton" receiving some last minute instructions.
He's awesome.


K and "Charlotte". She's so pretty AND she offered to babysit. Can you do much better than a happy and willing spider?


K and her directors: Ms. Dena and Ms. Allison.
We miss you guys already!


K and her Mama Sheep.
I love this kid. She took such good care of K.
They were precious together.


K and "Gander". Another doll of a teenager.
This one almost cried because she was going to miss her "Lambie" so much. We have lots of cell phone numbers with instructions to text. (I think they may have forgotten "lambie" is only 9.)


K and "Wilber". She was the PERFECT Wilber!
Seriously, this kid is going places. She is Fantastic!


Mother's Day?
One shot.
My son...giving me a card.
Teacher Appreciation Week...
Name boards with vinyl courtesy of Wight House Gifts.


Aren't they CUTE?!
The teachers were so excited...I was even summoned to take a picture of a "happy" teacher.


And the last remaining bits of a door decoration.
K's teacher just can't seem to let this go. :)


Another little gift:
Magnets for all. Again thanking Wight House Gifts for the awesome vinyl!


Okay, folks...that's it.
Now we're off to IHOP! Maybe no one will notice my super-fat face.
At least too much.
But with my smell and taste back...?
You better believe I'm eating and I'm eating GOOD!

5 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Dear Friend, I do hope you're planning on sleeping in (LATE) every day this summer. You deserve it. Congratulations on the PTA position! They are LUCKY to have you.

Sandra said...

I'm not sure that reliving these past few weeks via your blog was exciting as actually living it! What would we do without our family?? Glad we could be there for you and the munchkins!

Julie said...

What great pics! What a rough/busy couple of weeks. Hope you're feeling better and that things will slow down.

Jessica M said...

I don't know how you do it woman. You're amazing. The teacher appreciation gifts were SO SO cute BTW! I bet everyone LOVED them.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Dana, Dana, Dana, you poor overworked lady! The school looked GREAT. I visited Hannah and was so impressed with all your work. What is Columbia going to do without you? Your little lamb is so cute!!!! I'm sure she loved being in a play, and it was worth all the effort, even though you were miserable. I'm so, so sorry you were so sick and tired. love you!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley