College Street Players are putting on a production of Charlotte's Web, and we decided we would finally stop "torturing" K and let her audition. I've had mixed feelings about getting involved in theatre with K at this age. On the one hand, she is a born entertainer...for better or for worse. Theatre is something I just KNOW she would thrive in. Her teachers have told me I should do this with her for years now, but she's just seemed too young. On the other hand, starting young can be a huge benefit...on many levels.
Anyway...we decided to let her give it a try.
And she was fantastic!
(no bragging here, of course...I just call 'em like I see 'em) ;)
~
K reading through her first script ever...
~
K during her first read-thru ever...
~
outside the Fine Arts Center right after her first audition ever...
~
K striking a pose...for like the millionth time ever ;)
~
*UPDATE*
That afternoon, we received a call from the director...
K got a CALL BACK!
After her first audition ever. (lol)
When we arrived at the call backs, we we informed that K was up for the role of Fern! It was between her and two other girls. One of the girls had theatre experience and the other was a little older, taller, and had a great voice that doesn't need to be miked. And then there was K...no experience and no trained theatrical voice. But you know what? She was amazing. Her read-thru was funny and wonderfully inflected. She really had a great time reading with the other girls and "Charlotte" and "Templeton". Unfortunately, she did not get the role of Fern, but she did secure the role of the little little lamb. It is one of the few speaking parts outside of the leads with more than one line. We are very pleased and Miss K is thrilled to be a part of Charlotte's Web. I was worried she would be really disappointed, but she took the news like a trooper.
So here we go...
On to a new adventure.
And on to many hours either in the car or at rehearsals.
And on to many hours either in the car or at rehearsals.
What have I gotten myself in to?!
~
Later that same day...
our church had a talent show.
We completely enjoyed ourselves from beginning to end!
We completely enjoyed ourselves from beginning to end!
And again...K had a first...she sang at the talent show.
Not that this was her first time singing...good grief, no...but her first time performing in front of an audience that wasn't family. And if I can just be a pleased mommy one more time before I invoke the gag reflex...
She was great! She was so nervous and had a yucky cough, but she did a really good job.
~
snapshot from the video I can't seem to upload...ergh







13 comments:
It was a great experience for Goppie, too. Thanks for letting me in on what is sure to be the beginning of K being a Broadway star! Maybe I should get her autograph now before she starts to charge.
K is a born entertainer! So glad you finally let her in theatre. As a theatre girl myself...you need to let her have that outlet. It'll be so fun for her!
I am so proud of Kayla, and I see her shining in Charlotte's Web and then on to other parts, too. Her singing was beautiful, and she seemed very comfortable doing it, too. Did you ever consider acting? (Real question, not a joke.)
Wish I could've been there to see everyone's wonderful talents! I am sure K did great! Glad to hear she secured a role in the production.
She was great in the talent show! How great for her to persue her talents. So exciting.
Congrats K!
PS. It's not brag when its fact! ;)
Way to go K! While I am sure you totally deserved to be Fern - at least the experience will show you the ins and outs of your dramatic future. So proud of you (& Mom) for giving it a go! And, I know I told you then but you were GREAT at the talent show!
WOO HOO!!!! How very, very exciting! My own K will be so happy for her! I know what you mean about waiting to get her into theater....I just don't want to spend my whole life driving to/fro rehearsals, etc. Does that make me a bad mom?
How exciting! Congrats to her. Let me know when the play is. I bet my boys would love to see it!
I want to see the video!!! ;)
That is sooo fun!!! I'm proud of K! that is awesome! You'll have to let people know when the show is.... she might have a whole audience of fans!
We were impressed with K at the talent show! That took a LOT of guts to get up there by herself, and sing that song accapella! Great job K!
CONGRATS!!!! That is just awesome. Way to be the best mom ever, by the way.
Post a Comment