Heinz or Hunts?

Thursday, March 5, 2009

I couldn't resist the title since this post is all about
"catch-up".
PaHahahahahahahaha...yeah, I really need to get out.

My question is:
Can you ever really "catch-up"?
...with laundry...with sleep...
with my poorly neglected blog...
with an aggressive age-fighting moisturizing schedule...

My answer is:
Nuh uh.

I know I never seem to slip ahead. I'm fairly certain, I've yet to catch-up. Yet, I'm quite flippin' positive I'll be lagging behind for most of forever. But I think I'm okay with this. I'm not admitting to a chronic condition of laziness or apathy, I'm simply resigning myself to the fact that I am just not a "jump ahead, get it done, sit back and relax, or jump on to the next item" kind of gal. And since I have resigned myself to...well...the truth, I find I am suddenly free.

I am free to enjoy the time PRIOR to the actual time I decide that something just HAS to be done. I am free from the stress of worry. Because when you are in the throes of a "buckle-down, suck it up, get it done get it done get it done" scenario, there is no time for stress. Stress is a creativity blocker. Worry hinders the creative juicy flow. I really and truly enjoy...maybe even thrive on the "mad-dash to the end". I'm sick enough to openly admit I actually look forward to looming deadlines and crunch time. It is a rush! I may not be an extreme-sport minded individual, but this gives me a great adrenaline rush!

So yeah, I may still be needing sleep from 6 months ago...my laundry may always be in some varying state of flux...I may now and forever have some random drawer or even entire room that could really stand to be cleaned-out and re-organized...but that is okay. All things will get done if they are important enough. I will work on things as I come to them. I will use my to-do list as an outline, not as my own personal hellish mandate. I know how to prioritize...therefore, all will be well.

And with all that being said...
I really need to catch-up on my blog!

(What? Freedom never comes easy.)

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Make mine Hunts. I understand and empathize with your dilemma. I'm afraid that you inherited part of your problem from me. I, too, get a rush out of that last minute "time's running out, put out the clean towels, finish the bed, run to the grocery store, they've just pulled in the driveway, just throw that in the closet" kind of moment. W-h-e--w--- Your Dad always said that the house would never get a really good cleaning if company never came. And we won't even mention the Christmas Tree in the living room story.
Love, your Mom

Julie said...

Um yeah...the blog is way behind. :) And make my Heinz please.

I have decided that I will never catch up & will forever drown in housework. I manage to keep the dishes washed, the laundry washed, and the kids fed, so I guess I'm doing alright. My house is so dirty that I'm wondering if mice will soon be invading my house, but hoping I'll be able to clean all the bread crumbs Trevor keeps managing to drop on the floor as quickly as possible.

Well, gotta run...the youngest is fussy! Nope...never can catch up!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Confess it, Dana, you thrive on the stress, the lovely chaos, the project to get done, the project to start . . . I could go on and on. You're so good at all of it . . . it doesn't matter if you don't catch up.

Anonymous said...

Don't fall off your chair, but I am looking at blogs right now. This is a great post!
Nat

Jessica M said...

I know exactly what you mean. Forget catching up. Take it from here, and run with it.
Glad everyone's feeling better!

Bill said...

One of my favorite cliche's I learned at West Point is "If you wait until the last minute...it only takes a minute!"

Wendyrful said...

I used to always be 'catching up' on my journaling. I would feel like I needed to get the old down, before I forgot it, and then I'd still be behind what what was actually current! It was a mess, so I'm glad I get to blog. It keeps me closer to being on top of something in my life - little successes. I don't think I'll ever be on top of anything else in my life, but, it's o.k.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley