I'm learning my son is very resourceful.
When denied all access to water, he still finds a way.
(If you're wondering about his love of water...or rather his love of dumping water in the floor, click here.)
What does he do when he is determined to watch liquid splash to the ground...and all bathrooms are locked, his path to the kitchen sink is blocked, and no one will give him any of their drinks?
He spits.
On the floor.
Just to watch it splash.
And then he looks up so very proud wanting me to share in his brilliant moment. Does he really not understand that I really don't want any liquid, from any source, on the floor? Or is he just that genius to play it off so innocently?
I tend to lean toward the genius side...not because he's my son and I choose to live in the world where he is the smartest kid ever...but because I watched him. After cleaning up spit splashes for the THIRD time, I decided to lay low and watch the genius in action. Sure enough...he's not just randomly spitting,just because he's discovered it's fun...oh no, he's storing spit in his mouth. STORING spit in his mouth for a nice big splash. 'Cause just a little saliva won't do, obviously. And the best (i.e. scariest) part...? He's humming a happy little ditty while he's stockpiling saliva. This is apparently making him happy. (good grief)
For now, I am choosing to look on the positive side. Instead of worrying over the obvious issues (I say with a dry wit as I am well aware that I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow involving lots of paper towels, a time out chair, and basic consistent parental skills), I am foreseeing great things in his future. He is resourceful (to a fault), he doesn't give up, he thinks things through on his own, and he finds joy in his work.
Nothing like a "glass is half-full" attitude, right?
Except that lil man will probably find it & dump it right out.
Tombstone
6 years ago






5 comments:
When it comes to my grandson, I am at a loss for words. [Insert time for deep, silent contemplation.] I just know that I love him, no matter what! AND I am sure this comes from his father's side!!
Wow. He's very good at conflict resolution. I'm hoping that your mom is right that it's from Steve's side.
Geez! He is resourceful!!! Better watch out for the undies coming off...
Perhaps... you could have a small 'water exploration' time or table for him at 'specific' 'sanctioned' 'supervised' times and places. Then he will have TIME to PLAY and POUR and SPLASH, with cups or something, into buckets or bowls, or something. And he won't feel the NEED to pour water (because it is untouchable) on the FLOOR! and long term??? perhaps he will hve a career as a marine biologist or something along those lines.
uh.... here is a thought Dana - let him spit (it is better than other liquid resources - i.e. what he did in the dishwasher....) ;)
Post a Comment