What have I learned from lil man today?
If at first you don't see...turn, turn the child around.
Story (unfortunately, it is true) :
I'm attempting to get us ready to leave the house this morning. I'm sure one day getting ready and leaving the house will be a simple thing, but for now...it is an endeavor.
I'm packing lil man's lunchbox, leaving him to his own devices. (already not my brightest mommy moment) I do know he is in my bedroom, but since I had just spent 8 hours the previous day cleaning it out...I really didn't think he would find too much to get into. Why I forgot about the bathroom, I have no idea.
Here comes lil man, walking down the hall, saying: "I sowy, Mommy." (immediate uh-oh) With a growing sense of unease, I ask him why he's sorry. He says: "I sowy I get wet, Mommy." I quickly look him up and down, and other than a couple of drops of water on his shirt...he's dry. I ask him if he was turning on the water and he admits as much. I remind him that the sinks and bathtub are off-limits and turn back to the kitchen. And off he goes.
Less than a minute later, I think I hear a thud, but since crying or screaming didn't soon follow...I shrug it off. (again, not my brightest time) No sooner had I shrugged off the alleged un-interesting thud, than here comes lil man again. I hear: "I sowy, Mommy. I wet." I may not be on my best mommy-guard this morning, but hearing this a second time triggered some vague and hazy red flag that maybe...just maybe there's something to this whole "wet" admission.
Here's what I discover: lil man is still pretty much dry in the front, but when I turn him around...I literally gasp out loud. He is SOAKING wet. The bottom half of his shirt is sopping and every inch of his pants are dripping...DRIPPING. Upon further inspection (about time, I know...I know), I discover his socks are drenched and his shoes are juuuuuust a tad squishy. Ick.
Now my mommy juices are finally starting to flow. As I follow lil man to my bathroom, I'm noticing all these great wet footprints up and down the hallway, some super-fun wet splotches on my bedroom carpet, and the best discovery...?...is on the bathroom floor.
Sasha, the dog, is lapping...LAPPING...water off the floor. The water is so deep that I can see ripples on the water. It takes large, large beach towels to make a dent in my indoor pool...as lil man is having his time out. His long, long, long time out.
I did find out what happened...
He found one of his sisters' water cups, and spent I'm not sure how long filling up the cup...and dumping it out...on the floor. The thud I heard? Lil man slipping on the wet floor and busting his tail...which would explain the splatter marks I found all the way to the far corners of the bathroom.
I learned my lesson for the day. Did lil man?
Not so much. As soon as we get home this afternoon, he goes straight to the hall bathroom, grabs another water cup and turns on the water. This time, my mommy senses are at their peak and I quickly prevent any potential water park adventures. I even lock the bathroom door so I can lower my mommy antennae just an inch or two. And off he goes...on to the next fun discovery.
Another lesson I learned?
Know where the key is BEFORE you lock a door.
Tombstone
6 years ago






9 comments:
Oh no! Seriously...jaw dropped on this one. I'm sure Trevor will be doing the same things...the other day he left our main room for only a few minutes and then came back handing my broken glasses. Needless to say, I added a baby gate to our den. Ugh...
Lessoned learned for me?
Don't read your blog while I am at work. I can't seem to control my laughter, now people know I am goofing off :)
Knowing that I like to always look on the bright side, I would think about how clean the floor is now! Is that any comfort??
I am so not looking forward to the serious "exploration" phase. Noah is already almost all I can handle. Boys!
I laughed so hard I woke Addie from her sleep! Boys!!!
Too, too funny. Did you find the key before of after the door handle had to come off?
"i'm sowwey mommy" this just cracked me up. it's always the water that is most tempting. :]
So did lil man think Sasha was thirsty?! Poor little puppy just needed a little drink of water... see... lil man was actually a hero... are you buying any this... so sorry for your flood! Christian was my lil man that CONSTANTLY thought outside of the box. I always joke that I am thankful we lived in rental properties during his toddler years!!! Ty was incredibly less adventurous and we owned our home by the time he came along, whew, no major property damage with him!
What are you going to do with the lil guy? His smile just melts me and he's not even mine! Sorry about the mess but that he apologized cracks me up! Hopefully you made him help clean up!
Post a Comment