Let the games begin...

Friday, December 5, 2008

ornament: 0 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . lil man: 1


I debated long and hard about whether to put glass ornaments on "my" tree this year.
I love "my" tree. It's just purty. I love our family tree too, but "my" tree is all mine. (How much like a bratty kid can I sound?) Anyway...I thought I would just sacrifice all my glass ornaments and fancy things in hopes of preventing undue stress and frustration with my son. I tried. I really tried. I put so many non-breakables on my tree, but I just didn't like it. And that made me sad. This is the tree I sit and look at when all the kids are in bed and the house lights are off. It just feels like Christmas to me.

So what to do?
Well, lil man has been excellent about not bothering all the tree stuff that has been laying around for a couple of days. I thought I would take a chance, cave in, and put my favorite colored balls on the tree. I would still keep my really purty glass ones safe in a box in the attic, but I HAD to add something.

I did. I added some. And now I LOVE my tree again! Merry Christmas to me! (again, sounding like a brat, but what can you do?) Shockingly enough, lil man has still kept his curious little hands away. I did have an issue with the dumb blonde in the family (the dog, not a kid), but that wasn't too bad.

This afternoon I was pulling some ball ornaments off one wreath to add to another. Obviously, lil man thought this was acceptable for everyone. I make the mistake of going to the bathroom (silly mommy, when will you learn that a bladder infection just may have to happen?), only to discover lil man has taken advantage of my absence by pulling his own ornament off the old wreath. I calmly told him to bring me the ornament and I actually thought he was going to do just that. (Uhhhh...when did I lose all sense of reality?) One second, he is walking towards me, the next second he makes a detour into the dining room. The instant I lose sight of him, I hear a crash...actually, it was more of a shattering, splintering sound.

I run to the dining room and sure enough...broken-ness all over the floor. The following dialogue occurred:
me: Did you throw that?
lil man: I did.
me: Why would you throw the ornament? Mommy told you it could break and you might get hurt. (by the broken glass, not me beating him or something)
lil man: It be a ball. I frow da ball.
me: It's not a ball to throw. Now it's broken and can't be fixed. Go sit down so you don't step on the glass.
lil man: Yeah, you need to clean dat up.


(Thanks.)

11 comments:

Julie said...

Wow. I'm sorry. I want to avoid putting up a tree at my house this year. Trevor gets into everything while I'm distracted with Tyler, so I can only imagine what would happen with a tree around...

Anonymous said...

"Clean up on aisle two - clean up on aisle two!!"

Mandi said...

Such a boy! I had to laugh that he told you that you needed to clean it up... too cute

*Lisa* said...

Awww.. that's one of those things you'll probably think is kind of humorous later right? I was just imagining myself in this situation with Mr. Two year old. He keeps throwing the Little People Christmas guys (only decorations out so far) and I cringe to think about what he's going to do with my Christmas stuff. Especially after seeing him with the few Halloween decorations. He just can't leave stuff alone if he likes it. Actually, I hadn't thought too hard about any of this until I read this post. Ben was always really good with everything... sooo thanks ;)

Quincy Sorensen said...

Too bad he's discovered that the Christmas tree isn't REALLY hot. We told that to Zoe when she was a wee one . . . you know . . . "don't touch those hot, pretty lights."

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

HAHAHAHA!!!! Little man cracks.me.up!

Jessica M said...

Yeah, my kids are smashing things too. After an afternoon of cleaning up the pieces, Melanie was very confused when she couldn't break a shatter proof ornament. Hah! Victory.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

So sorry Dana. But I love your new blog look!

Karen said...

Oh the joys of the holiday....

Sandra said...

Do you like my picture?

Beth said...

I laughed so hard at your dialogue. You need to clean dat up...hilarious!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley