Christmas starts on the 23rd for us each year.
We load up for our Boaz visit with Steve's folks.
Lil man immediately found the tool bench and played forever.
Good thing he didn't think this was his to take home...
that would have been a nightmare.
~
Slightly disturbing...he kept "sawing" his hand and laughing that it tickled. Let's hope he fully understands the difference between Fisher Price and Craftsman. Ugh.
~
The girls are always ready for presents.
~
And lil man is...
pretending he needs a nap.
~
Seriously. As soon as we were all ready for presents, he suddenly decides he has no interest and instead announces that he "weally weally needs to seep". The kid hasn't napped since the week he turned 3...3 months ago. I don't know what got into him.
~
The gifts are being opened and this is lil man...
~
He was not even remotely asleep...just being a goober.
He did finally "wake up" when I threatened to open his presents for myself.
He loves his coin counter...now he can leave the girls' piggy banks alone.
~
And this little laser light globe was a HUGE hit! He kept calling it his "ice cream". He carried it around the entire trip and made sure to give it plenty of love.
(I know...my son is strange, but we love him.)
~
Just a pretty girl in her new sweater (looking WAY too grown up).
~
Just a pretty girl in her new sweater (looking WAY too grown up).
~
Christmas Eve:
I am pretty protective about our Christmas Eve time.
My plans always include time just for us. Sometimes the day gets a little hectic, but by dinner...things are coming around to where they need to be. Of course, lil man always has his own plans that don't always mesh perfectly with mine...but we seem to make it work...eventually.
~Christmas Eve is when the girls (one day I'll be able to include lil man in this, but he was determined this year to be a stinker...anyhoo) when the girls write their official letter to Santa. This year they tried to score some brownie points by asking Santa to give one of their gifts to someone who really needed it. I'm not suggesting they weren't sincere...I think it was a lovely offer; I'm just wondering how well it would have gone over had there been a picture of the gift Santa decided to give to the needy like they suggested. Just wondering...
And of course, we enjoy making cookies and laying out the treats for our visitors: cookies and milk for Santa, grapes for the reindeer, and cookies in a baggie for Santa to take home for Mrs. Claus ('cause we love her too and appreciate all the time she sacrifices with her husband so he can serve others...it's her way of serving too, you know).
~
We all love so much our time around the tree, right before bed. We read Luke 2, "Twas the Night Before Christmas", a special Christmas book that was my favorite when I was a little girl, and we sing most of the Christmas songs we know. A sweet Christmas-time family prayer finishes off the night.
The girls always say they feel so good when we are having our "Christmas tree time" on Christmas Eve. I hope they always remember these feelings and strive to continually feel that Christmas magic for as long as they are our little people and then when they have little people of their own. The spirit of Christmas is too special to go unnoticed or to squander away with trivial things. Our Christmas Eve time is sacred to me. I consider it my own personal Christmas gift.
~
For some reason, a few years ago, I started taking pictures of our Christmas decorations on Christmas Eve once the house was still and quiet. The tradition continues...
I love my fireplace and mantle. I change it every year.
One of those things that is just for me, just because. :)
~
"My" tree...minus breakables. Still, it makes me smile.
~
"My" tree...minus breakables. Still, it makes me smile.
~
The "family" tree...decorated by one and all...however it may be. This one has all the memories and sparks of fun. It makes me smile, giggle, and hug myself.
~
I had a little bit of vinyl fun this year. (somewhat of an understatement if you consider I even had vinyl in the bathroom) But it was super fun and every time I read the words of my favorite Christmas carol as they wrap themselves around our living room...it makes me very happy. This particular lyric greets friends and family as they enter our home:
~
Just a fun wreath I wrapped in the most glorious red ribbon from last year. It has gold embroidery and sequins and all sorts of fun stuff...and I LOVE it but have to ration every inch because I just couldn't find it this year. Oh no!
~
Trees that lil man insisted were "pahty" hats and kept climbing onto the counter so he could put one on...on a daily basis.
~
These stockings hang in the kids' hallway until Christmas Eve. The girls love moving them to their appropriate location near the fireplace. I love that they all say "Santa's Favorite". What? You think even Santa would get in the middle of this debate?
~
A new find this year. Isn't he a looker? His two brothers are equally handsome...they just didn't make it through the editing process.
Even though lil man was always respectful of "mommy and baby Jeezhus", he had a thing for these sheep. I usually find them in the tree or moved to other random locations around the house. (drives me nuts)
~
And running a close second is Baby 'Pea'sus. Lil man has toted these pieces around for a month now. Thank goodness they are made of plastic...enough said.
~
Christmas Morning:
Courtesy of my own Christmases as a child, Steve and I are very specific about how Christmas morning begins...
The kids are FORBIDDEN to leave their rooms until Steve and I are fully awake and prepared to meet the world. Once we are "ready", meaning Steve is on the chair closest to the kids' rooms with the video camera and I am across the room with the other camera for snapshots, I call out that they may finally leave their prison...I mean room. I cannot even imagine missing that very first expression when the kids see what Santa left under the tree. (It would not be good.) The girls are convinced we have secret spy cameras set up to catch any unauthorized movements. This theory stays in effect through dating years as well.
~
The girls have been wanting a room make-over.
Santa decided to get the ball rolling. (thanks big guy)
K got a new desk, chair, wireless keyboard & mouse, and a new monitor/TV for the wall. (I think her Daddy and Santa had a few chats without Mommy.)
~
B got a new chair, an artist's drafting table, and a doggie collar with tag already engraved with the name she wants to name her new dog. The clincher is the document on the table...it is a "legal" document from Santa assuring her of a dog of her very own once school is out and she can spend more time loving it and training it. Steve and I had to sign it to make it official.

~
I feel as though I should clarify a few things:
~
B got a new chair, an artist's drafting table, and a doggie collar with tag already engraved with the name she wants to name her new dog. The clincher is the document on the table...it is a "legal" document from Santa assuring her of a dog of her very own once school is out and she can spend more time loving it and training it. Steve and I had to sign it to make it official.
~
I feel as though I should clarify a few things:
Yes, we are crazy. (this will mean we have 2 dogs, and I am NOT an animal person but my child very much is...so what can I do?)
Yes, we have thought this through. I may not be the happiest about it, but that doesn't mean it's not the right decision.
Yes, I have come to terms with the above statement.
Yes, I have come to terms with the above statement.
No, the gifts are not really weighted in K's favor. The girls made an agreement months ago (and I do mean an agreement with a contract printed on the computer and signed by each family member...I kid you not) that if B gets a dog ALL HERS, then K gets control of their room. This means that she decides what is played on the computer and what is watched on the TV. B can of course use them, but only if K isn't and even then, she has to ask K's permission.
Yes, this is nuts and a potential disaster. But you know, we left the negotiations up to the girls and they debated and discussed all aspects for weeks before coming to terms.
This is how much B wants her OWN dog. I can't really relate to my animal-loving daughter, but if she's happy, I'm happy. I CAN, however, relate to my other daughter who now has techie control of the room...and I completely understand her glee.
~
Not a good picture (at all), but Steve kept saying: "It's not a big deal. It's nothing big." every time I opened one of his gifts. I finally asked him to put a sock in it. He was making me feel like I was about to open a box of saltines. In his defense, he gave me some very thoughtful and very fun gifts. I guess he thought I was expecting a new car or trip to Hawaii...come to think of it...that would have been nice. ;)

~
~
Not a good picture (at all), but Steve kept saying: "It's not a big deal. It's nothing big." every time I opened one of his gifts. I finally asked him to put a sock in it. He was making me feel like I was about to open a box of saltines. In his defense, he gave me some very thoughtful and very fun gifts. I guess he thought I was expecting a new car or trip to Hawaii...come to think of it...that would have been nice. ;)
~
Sasha was very excited about her candy cane rawhide.
She said: "I woof you guys!"

~
Lil man finally woke up around 9am.
She said: "I woof you guys!"
~
Lil man finally woke up around 9am.
Why he chooses the one morning no one wants to sleep in, to actually sleep in, is beyond me. (Just another way he was determined to drive me insane this year.)
He does LOVE his race track! It's made to either race normally, or crash and destroy. How perfect could the manufacturer be? They must have boys in their homes.
He does LOVE his race track! It's made to either race normally, or crash and destroy. How perfect could the manufacturer be? They must have boys in their homes.
~
Not that he was really this excited about a new MagnaDoodle, but the face is too cute not to share.
~
Lil man loves to take over my camera and since I usually need my camera and don't relish the thought of him chunking it across the room, we decided all might benefit from his own camera.
~
He knew right away exactly what it was. As soon as he tore away the wrapping paper, he lets out a huge breath and says: "Oh. My. Gosssshhhh!" "It's my camwa!"
He knew right away exactly what it was. As soon as he tore away the wrapping paper, he lets out a huge breath and says: "Oh. My. Gosssshhhh!" "It's my camwa!"
SO funny!!
(And just in case anyone is wondering...this thing really is indestructable. Don't ask how I know this already. I'd rather not relive the moments right now.)
~
Around 11am, my side of the family came over to see what Santa brought. Mom, Dad, my brother, and grandmother come every year for a couple of hours. Mom says it just isn't Christmas without Santa.
We had the YUMMIEST Christmas breakfast...sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, and eggs. I love having breakfast for lunch...especially on Christmas. Mmmmmmm.
Around 11am, my side of the family came over to see what Santa brought. Mom, Dad, my brother, and grandmother come every year for a couple of hours. Mom says it just isn't Christmas without Santa.
We had the YUMMIEST Christmas breakfast...sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, and eggs. I love having breakfast for lunch...especially on Christmas. Mmmmmmm.
~
Lil man loves Grandmom's walker...
although he mostly rides.
We spend the entire day in jammies. I mean, no one is allowed out of them. I do not want to even remotely think about laundry on Christmas. Around 3pm, K asked me for some clothes...I looked at her like she was crazy. She slowly turned around and walked away. (that's right, keep walking) :)
Christmas Day ended with too much food, lots of laughter, and fun game-time with the kids and Steve's brother and his wife (Chris and Sandy). To everyone we spent part of our day with, we love you and thank you for adding to our wonderful Christmas!
~
Christmas in Decatur:
And the fun continues the day after Christmas at my mom and dad's. Christmas would not be complete for me without being surrounded by the feeling of Mom and Dad and their home.
~
Mom was ready to start presents the second we walked in the door. Her enjoyment is always contagious.
~
K sporting a new hoodie...with a furry hood.
(She came up to me and asked if it was real fur. She was withholding all her excitement until she made sure no animals were harmed in the process.)
~
B showing off cold weather accessories.
(Think she might actually get to use these?)
(She came up to me and asked if it was real fur. She was withholding all her excitement until she made sure no animals were harmed in the process.)
~
B showing off cold weather accessories.
(Think she might actually get to use these?)
They are more than ready to travel!
~
I also got a new scarf. It is smashing!
And the BEST purse ever!!
But where was he?
~
~
Daddy gets a new Christmas mug every year.
This year B obliged...and added candies for good measure.
This year B obliged...and added candies for good measure.
Daddy also spent some time enjoying Alabama Football magazines and special editions. It's always a Roll Tide! time around the house.

~
Grandmom loving the time with the kids.

~
And lookie here...lil man finally decided to play along with our Christmas fun. He then spent the next couple of hours making all sorts of food and playing store. He's going to be the next Rocco DeSpirito...but with rhythm. (For those of you who watch Dancing with the Stars, you'll appreciate that little reference.)
~
Grandmom loving the time with the kids.
~
And lookie here...lil man finally decided to play along with our Christmas fun. He then spent the next couple of hours making all sorts of food and playing store. He's going to be the next Rocco DeSpirito...but with rhythm. (For those of you who watch Dancing with the Stars, you'll appreciate that little reference.)
~
The biggest hit, oddly enough, were these little Santas that all fit inside each other. Mom and Dad have had these for forever. Lil man is obsessed. He is still playing with them.

Funny story about the Santas...
We found them in the refrigerator last night. (Don't know why.) B said: "Well, it's a good thing Santa is used to the cold."
~
Christmas Family Picture:
Every year, all I want, is one simple little family picture in front of a Christmas tree. I know it's cheesy, but I want one. It is tradition. We usually wait and have mom take one when we are at their house...just because. This year, no one was cooperating. We have never had this many issues. We even had a full out emotional meltdown at one point (not me). And Steve was a second away from taking out and hiding all camera batteries.
~
This was the final shot. Forget the tears, the grumbling, the poses, everything...I just pulled everyone together, grabbed lil man, and commanded: "Just smile, will ya?!"
~
That's us in a very large, very wordy, very picture-full nutshell.
That's us in a very large, very wordy, very picture-full nutshell.
Aren't we just the perfect picture of Christmas festive fun?
I think we do alright. I mean, it could always be worse...right?







8 comments:
After reading all the Herwig Christmas adventures, I am exhausted! BUT WASN'T IT GREAT!! Are you aware that there are only 361 days until Christmas?
That is one HECK of a LONG post! Pheeewww!!!! Glad y'all had a fun Christmas and the decor looks great!
Whew! I made it all the way through the entire post. :)
I am cracking up over K's concern for the "fur" in her jacket. Looks like the Herwigs had another Merry Christmas!
I just love me a NOVEL post!!! Thank you! And by the way... until you own 4 donkeys, 9 goats, and so on... you will never be judged by ME on the total CAVE of giving your daughter her own dog. Did I mention that chickens, ducks, horse, and a cow are on Savannah's 2009 wishlist too? Are you sure Savannah and B are not long lost sisters? We truly should get these two together!!
I love your Mantle and little man's pjs on Christmas eve. Oh and I love your new purse. What a great Christmas!!
Whew, thats a lot of Christmas! I thought my jam-packed 2 days was a lot! :) Looks like fun though!
I love your huge long post. I think it's longer than mine! I also love your decorations. I hope they're still up, I need to experience the full effect. I'm still ticked that I had to miss the ornament party :(
Y'all are just the cutest. Looks like you had such a fun time. It's fun to read all the details. I don't think my actual Christmas post will be as long as my other one. Thank goodness. I gotta get working on it.
Ben has those same jammies that lil man is wearing. Love them.
That was a lot of fun!!! Your Little man is cracking me up!!! I can't believe he didn't want to participate in presents, not just once! but several times over!!! What a silly boy!!!
Post a Comment