This has been an interesting week. I have found a new level of worry and frustration. I am typing what I feel. It is personal and real. It will probably be choppy and lacking my normal awesome flow. :) I'm just going to get it out of my head so I won't forget my ponderings.
The school called around 1:45 Monday afternoon to tell me K was in the nurse's office. (She'll finally go back on Monday.) Yep, she has been home ALL week. She never really had a fever or the yucks, but she was just run-down. She had absolutely no energy. She didn't even feel like going to Activity Days or the Book Fair. I was really getting worried about her. It was just so unlike K to be so tired and mopey without some obvious reason.
Thursday, she woke up with a yucky eye and a stuffy nose. Thank goodness. Not that I wanted her to be sick, but I finally saw a reason behind her fatigue. After a trip to the doctor, we found out she has pink eye and compacted sinuses. No wonder she was so tired! Her head and face are full of yuck! She is now on antibiotics and eye drops, and as of this afternoon, is no longer contagious. Now it is just a waiting game to see if anyone else in the family has contracted any of it. I do think little man is slowly coming down with something, though. He was just "off" yesterday and today. His eyes are droopy and his sweet little voice is hoarse. I've been sleeping on the couch so I can be closer to the kids if they cry out in the middle of the night (which has happened a few times....zzz....sleepy, I am).
Even though it is never enjoyable for children to be sick, I have been so grateful that we haven't had the stress of fevers, vomiting, or any other icky fluids. I am grateful to see a marked improvement in K's eye and hear her "sniffling" sounding better. I am grateful that even though little man may not be feeling that great, thus far he doesn't have a fever. I am so very grateful to have the priesthood in our home. I am grateful to Steve for living a life that welcomes the blessings of the priesthood without question. I am grateful to have these normal illnesses to worry through, as opposed to something much scarier.
Throughout this week, I have struggled with such fear in my heart. Not being able to easily see a reason for K's tiredness, I found myself worrying that something could really be wrong in her little body. Honestly, I was worried she had leukemia. I sit here and cry as I type that sentence. I have always been a worry-wort. I guess I come by it honestly. But where my children are concerned, sometimes I choose to assume that all is well. I just can't give in to my deep-seeded worries. I would go crazy. This week, I gave in.
When I was 7, I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Even so, I have been extremely blessed. I learned about real prayer, and that it is in indeed answered. I learned about true faith, and how much I am loved by Heavenly Father and my Savior.
I went into remission during my first stay in the hospital and never relapsed through all the years of chemotherapy and treatments. I lost my hair; gained abnormal amounts of weight due to all the steroids; woke up some mornings with my entire mouth covered in ulcers and could barely fit a baby spoon of pudding in; vomited...lots; watched friends from the Hematology Clinic lose limbs, hair, and even their lives to their own personal cancers; and learned the best way to ignore IVs, spinal taps, and bone marrow treatments. Yet through it all, I was able to be a normal kid. My mom and dad are the best. I mean...the BEST! They fought for me to be able to play softball, to eat PB&Js, to go to school, to not feel scared about everything happening to me. I know what a huge financial nightmare my years of chemo were, but they never once let me see their worry or hear about any sacrifices. Even though they may not have always felt at ease where my leukemia was concerned, what they projected to me was that they always seemed to just know that everything would be okay.
I have no inkling how they managed to go through those days with smiles and encouragement. How did they know I would be okay? How could they know?
My mom and dad have always been best friends. I never saw that change. They just grew closer. That has been a huge blessing in my life.
Even when I looked hideous, even when I would freak out and refuse to take my meds and Daddy would stay up for HOURS with me until I calmed down enough to take them, even when I cried, even when I vomited...lots, even when I asked them questions I'm sure they really didn't know how to answer; they showed me such deep love that I never doubted it. My mom and dad love big and they love completely. I worry that I fall short as a mom.
This past week, I realized what my hidden worry was. It made me mad. I didn't want to worry about it. I didn't want to imagine it as a possibility. I really don't know how mom and dad did it. I don't know how any parent goes through it. Maybe I'm just weak. Maybe my faith is lacking. But I hope not. Someone told me you can't possibly imagine the intricacies involved in making it through a trial; you prepare ahead of time and then square your shoulders in the face of it. I find myself extremely grateful for the knowledge of how to prepare. I am grateful for more things than I can even begin to list or properly express.
Even in the times of worry or fear, gratitude is present. Gratitude is a constant. Gratitude is like a friend who calls you up when you're having a bad day just to say hi...and then shows up with dinner and dessert without even asking first if you need it.
Does it make sense to say I'm grateful for gratitude?
Going through who and what I am grateful for is empowering. I feel stronger and more able. I feel more at peace and more willing to accept His will.
Yay. I love feeling better.
Tombstone
6 years ago






10 comments:
I can't explain it either. But I always knew in my heart that you would be okay. You know that I am a "half full" kind of person anyway and I think that I simply looked for the blessings in each day - no matter how small. You were such a brave little girl through it all. [Thanks again for yesterday's spree.] I love you.
I can't explain it either. But I always knew in my heart that you would be okay. You know that I am a "half full" kind of person anyway and I think that I simply looked for the blessings in each day - no matter how small. You were such a brave little girl through it all. [Thanks again for yesterday's spree.] I love you.
:) I'm so so glad that she is doing better and it was nothing serious. I'm sorry u had to go through that as a child :\... But.. i think its really molded you into such a wonderful person/mom.
I am so glad that K "only" has a bad infection and that she is now on her way back to normal. I totally sympathize with your fears. Surviving a serious childhood illness, especially ALL, is a remarkable thing and even though it is a part of your personal mission here on Earth and there is some comfort in that knowledge, that experience has to color the lens through which you experience every other event in your life, particularly concerning your own babies.
When Little K was 1, I was the triage nurse when her dad came running through the doors with a blue, foaming at the mouth, unresponsive, unbreathing Little K. As I scooped her limp body from his arms and ran to the Peds resuscitation room my first thought was "This baby is in trouble!", followed in a heartbeat by "Oh my God! This is MY baby!" Obviously she recovered and every single day I am profoundedly grateful that I continue to have the privilege of seeing her grow up. But, even though I've spent many thousands of hours in triage and in the ER since that day, I never am without a teeny sliver of fear that the next critical patient I see could be one of my children. That's a little irrational, but I can't help it. I'll never get over that. But I think I am better for it; it is a constant reminder that every patient that comes into my ER world is someone's child....and you know what else? I realize how blessed I am to have knowledge of our Heavenly Father and His plan and our purpose here on Earth. How can people endure the trials and heartaches of life without that knowledge? You know what I mean? ;)
Sorry about my long, long comment...I got a little carried away! Just know that I am thinking of you and your family and am inspired by "all y'all's" strength and faithfullness.
I worry about the same things. I always worry that I'm not a good enough mom and I'm terrified of anything happening with the kids.
And you are SO strong!
Each time one of my kiddos is even a tad bit sick, I worry and it makes me realize how grateful I am for them. For me, each one was 'hard fought for', can't call ME 'fertile myrtle', grin. I had hoped for so many more little ones but am so incredibly taken aback by the miracle the 3 of them are. Kids... healthy, happy, sick, sad.. help put life in prospective!!
Dana, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that K is feeling better. I know that I am a bit more cautious now as a mom than I used to be. It's hard not to worry about your kids, and especially when you have had something in your background to intensify that worry. Sariah - who has a strong attachment to her little brother, particularly is nervous whenever Liam is feeling bad, or 'off'. She really gets worried that he is going to get sick again! I wonder how that might affect her parenting latter in her life. I hope I can remember this, and can be sympathetic and can help her to keep calm, in the face of fears.
I am glad all of you are feeling better. I am thankful you shared that story. I had no idea anout your youth. I am glad your with us. You are an amazing person.
I think we all have black fears that keep us up at night, worries, especially for our children, that may be completely unfounded but we can't help but feel sick over. I always have to remind myself that God is still in His heaven.
I'm glad to hear that Kaylah's feeling better, I'm excited to see her this afternoon.
I think you're the greatest. Experience has given you a unique and wonderful perspective.
(PS- I think this is my longest comment ever.)
(PPS- Everyone I talk to is so excited about our Twilight plans.)
Post a Comment