Disclaimer: yelling comes in various forms...all of which I'm sure are loving, patient, and kind

Thursday, November 13, 2008

I think B overheard me having a moment of self-ickiness. What other reason would there be for my daughter to hand me a piece of her favorite pink paper with the following written in her favorite pink marker?

Mommy's Character

Pretty, Smart, Creative,
Hardworking, Thinks
she's fat but isn't,
can yell,
great parent,
good ideas.

(I'm cringing about the yelling part, but I digress...)

After I thanked her and hugged her and snuggled with my unexpected gift, I asked her why she had written it. She informed me that she loves me and that I was to not talk bad about myself anymore. I could do lots of great stuff and even if there is something not so great, it doesn't matter because she loves me and there are lots of other great things about me that matter more.

Today, I am thankful for my B. I am thankful for her love and her pep talks. I am thankful that I could see such sincerity in her eyes as she gave it to me straight, I had no option but to believe her. I am thankful that my daughter sees past my not-so-great moments and is happy to magnify what she sees as worthwhile.

Dr. Phil...watch out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful affirmation from one of your children! Apparently you believe her more than me, but that's okay. Just know that all the compliments, encouragements, and support from me are not given without merit. You deserved every word that B wrote about you.

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

Aren't daughters great? I totally agree.....what a tremendous blessing to have them in our lives!

Lacey Freeman said...

That is SO sweet...I love it. I bet that just made you feel like a million bucks!

Karen said...

What a way to make your day, week, month... That was so sweet. She's a keeper.

*Lisa* said...

So sweet! What a great way to turn your day around!

Beth said...

What a wonderful sweet girl. Daughters are the best!

shari said...

B is for Buddy!! I know you cherish these moments. It's nice to have a buddy.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley