"Nuffing" to worry about...

Friday, October 3, 2008

3 days and counting until little man turns 3.
We are having his party tomorrow. And for those of you who know me, I use the word 'party' loosely. As opposed to previous years with little man and the girls, I am keeping things simple.
No, I'm serious. Stop smirking, I mean it this time.
I decided the day needed nothing more than time for family to enjoy spending time with little man and each other. No frills. No bells and whistles. Here...I'll prove it.
The party will consist of cake, ice cream, singing "Happy Birthday", blowing out a candle, opening presents, cousins playing the Wii, and one balloon for little man who actually requested this one item (other than the candle of course). I'm not even ordering a fancy cake. I'm not even decorating the cake super fancy myself. I will scrub all bathrooms, vacuum, and dust...but I do that when the pest control people are scheduled. :)
See...simple. Easy, breezy, lemon squeezy. And I couldn't be more excited!
And no, I did not mean that sarcastically.
I am slowly learning the beauty of simplicity.
My problem is that I hope it doesn't slowly send me over to the lazy side. I think a part of me finds chaos and hustle bustle as my drug of choice. I'm not sure how to achieve a balance.
But in the spirit of taking time to care for myself...I plan on figuring it out.

But I digress...

I keep jotting down the little things my not-for-much-longer-2-year-old says and does, then I remember I have this handy little blog ready and willing to house my memories. I find myself being so grateful for this outlet. I have gone back so many times to read old posts. I love being able to type as opposed to tracking down a pen that my girls have misplaced. I love the ability to add pictures and captions. I love that family and friends near and far can easily check in on us from time to time without the pressure on me of trying to remember to send cards, emails, and updated pictures, constantly printed at Target or Costco. I love the friendship between blogging friends as we share our daily trials, triumphs, and the mundane. I love learning from others. I love being strengthened by others. I love being entertained, awed, amused, and inspired by others. I love having an easy and inexpensive creative outlet that doesn't cause a table full of bits and pieces of...stuff.
As much as I enjoy writing, I am a horrible journaler (not a word, is it?). I still have folders of pictures sitting on my desktop waiting to be plugged in to a "retro"post and I know that there are things I've already forgotten, but I am so thankful for this past year and a half of reflections that remain at my fingertips.

The latest cuteness...

*When guilty of some infraction, little man is easily busted as the culprit.
For example... I walk into the living room and he quickly looks up at me and says: "Nuffing."
(yeah, right)
I then discover he's pulled some keys off the keyboard of my laptop.
One day he walks up to me and says: "Nuffing in the pantry...nuffing."
I soon find that that really meant he had poured out an entire box of crackers for Sasha to eat.
A couple of days ago, I walk by the girls' room and notice him making a quick move. I looked in and he was in a weird position...his legs were straight, but he was bent at the waist at an abnormal angle with his fist pressed against a drawer. He looks up and says: "Nuffing." Since I had easily established by this point that "nuffing" always means "something", I thought I'd press the issue. After extensive interrogation and a prying the hand off the drawer, I see a lovely pencil drawing courtesy of little man. He still insists it's "nuffing".
I wonder how many "nuffings" are yet undiscovered.

*I was playing a game with little man in which he was the instructor. He would tell me what to do, and I would do my best to correctly interpret and comply. At one point, I must have been doing an exceptional job (wink wink) because the praise I received from my son was huge:
He laughs and hugs me and says: "You good at dis, Mommy!"

Well, thanks! Maybe I'll just forget about our little "nuffing" investigation for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...All the great memories you are going to be able to reminisce about with him! Sasha must love your little man and all the free food! :)

Anonymous said...

You are seriously cracking me up! Here's wishing you luck as you try to achieve that "balance." Yes, simplicity really IS beautiful.

And I love blogging for all the same reasons....even if I'm not updating as frequently these days at least I'll have SOME memories recorded.

Jessica M said...

Nuffing. I love it. He's so great.

And, I'll add another vote for the greatness of blogging. I've not written more than a dozen times in my journal since I got married. I seriously lost interest in it. Blogging has saved my family's history. Never would have thought that it would be this much fun.

hope said...

I love the saying, "Less is more". Simplicity has brought new meaning back into our family life. My kids loved it aweek ago when all we did for FHE was eat sloppy joes on a blanket outside, then jumped on a trampoline. The kids wee filled with joy and excitement with me and Shawn spending such personal time with them. For birthdays I am seriously going to the friends-no gifts parties, or the one friend-sleepover. My fondest birthday memories while growing up were the incredible ice cream cakes that my mom spent all day making for us. Nothing fancy. But she spent all day slowly freezing the cooled cake, softening the first box of ice cream, mixing it up to soften it and spread it on, chilling the cake, repeating with another flavor ice cream, then maintaining a theme like Oreos or peanut butter or something with the toppings. She knew birthdays were special, especially with 7 kids.

Sorry to write a novel... memories!! I love simplicity. It helps me feel more joy in celebration!

Dawn, said...

Good Luck detective mommy, in search of 'nuffings', but beward, sometimes a well hidden 'nuffing', is better kept hidden!!

I love the quote,'Simplicity is the ultimate Sophistication'... now don't that make you wanna go get supper sophisticated, grin!!

Happy birthday lil' man and have a blast with your simple, pleasant, relaxing day! WAIT!! Can those 3 words coexist with a 3 year old that is hyped up on birthday cake?!??

Dawn, said...

I think I hit an all time HIGH on typos!! giggle... that should be 'beware' and 'super' sophisticated.... whimper!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley