Storytime...according to little man

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I decided to try Storytime again.
(refer to 9/13/07 post, titled "Wheeee!"
Really, go ahead and read it...it's a good one)

So yeah...after a year, we tried Storytime at the library again.
Fortunately, there were no crying outbursts or poopy outbursts (which is infinitely worse)...but I'm not going to qualify our visit as a huge success either.


Don't be deceived by this picture. The coloring lasted for about as long as it took me to take this. Once I had practically drug him into the building, I had to convince him that I was not going to leave him. When he finally decided to believe me and let go of his apparant abandonment issues, he was much more interested in what was on the tables instead of the story. (Shocking, isn't it?)

He became so disruptive with his beggings and pleadings to leave the room that I finally gave in and let him "lead me" into the main part of the library. (I was actually running after him, but what's the diff, really?) And how many times should I plan on repeating: "We need to be quiet." before it finally sinks in? Obviously about a thousand...

Here begins our own special brand of Storytime,
i.e. Thus the Hullabaloo:

Little man was immediately drawn to the house in the kid section.


Then decides to run down a couple of aisles.


Before heading back to the house to point out random children.


While already planning his next venture to the DVD shelf.


Which apparently makes him homesick for the house.


But after playing musical books, heads off to terrorize the unsuspecting gal at the info desk who quickly found work in another section of the library.


The lure of the house was more than he could withstand.


Until the call of the book bins took over.


But was quickly shadowed by the enticings of the small yellow table.


Oh! but the book bins are soooo tempting.


Ahhhhh! but the small blue table is equally lovely.


And look! a small red table. Could things get any better?!


Oh yes, indeed. A snazzy chair right next to a bookshelf overflowing with things just waiting to be tossed haphazardly, and a computer just too tauntingly near.


I was insane and drooling from the corner of my mouth at this point.
I convinced little man that it was time to go. (Okay, really I bribed him with a trip to Kroger to buy some M&Ms, but whatever...I was done.)
On the way out (amidst the tear-jerking applause from all library patrons at the mere hint of our departure), little man noticed the Storytime room.

He runs in like he has just seen a long lost friend.


Then obviously realizes where he is, and has a frightening flashback of 20 minutes earlier.


I'm just not sure if Storytime will ever hold the magic it did for me and my girls, although I'll probably give it another try. Little man does ask to go, but I just can't picture him sitting and happily listening to a story.

I can't picture him sitting.

12 comments:

hope said...

My favorite time at the library?? When Skylah has just been dropped off at Preschool. Even if I don't need a book, I just go to absorb the silence thatis meant to be the library, and smile at the moms who are dealign with the same sweet children that I am normally dealing with!

But it does sound like he enjoyed himself!!

Julie said...

He looks like such a big boy! And his hair is so long & thick! Wow. I know I'll be in for the same thing with Trevor. He won't sit still for longer than 2 minutes!

Anonymous said...

What makes this so funny is that I know you aren't even having to makeup anything. I can just see him in all his energetic enthusiasm as he has to checkout everything! Good luck on next time.

Lisa said...

He is just so dang cute!!

Anonymous said...

Balls of energy and mastermind thinking can go far in life! :)

Jessica M said...

OK, that was awesome. I could FEEL the sensory overload of the toddler.
Keep trying, he'll settle....right? (PS- the librarians in there are NOT nice and/or patient, ask me how I know that.)

Quincy Sorensen said...

I'm proud of you for getting so many pictures . . . you must have been laughing your head off! :)

Sarah (and a few others) said...

What a hoot! He makes the library look like a theme park!

shari said...

Just reading this post exhausts me. So funny how different little man is compared to the girls. Kendall wouldn't read much until she read Harry Potter. Now she can't live without having something to read.

Lisha said...

Gotta love a little man... and the business and apparent broken volume controls. If we could just figure a way to get those to work, life would be so much more pleasant, wouldn't you agree?!!

Dahnelle said...

I. Love. This. Post.

eea said...

Thank you for this post. Jacob clings to my leg when we enter the door of the library screaming. "No, not the room, not the room!" Story time has not been a part of our vocabulary for a long time. Your pictures and descriptions are a flashback. I feel like I am not alone, thank you.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley