Just some things...

Monday, September 15, 2008

#1:
The weather today.
I LOVE...nay, ADORE Fall. Granted, we're still not quite there yet, but today is a nice teaser of cooler temperatures, less humidity, and a crispier atmosphere. I ache for the days of sunshine and blue skies that doesn't induce sweat and asthma attacks. The feeling in the air today also gets me excited for a Fall wardrobe. This time of year warrants the wearing of my favorite clothes of all time. The only downside is that right now I can't actually fit into my favorite articles. Sad, but true. This however leads right into...

#2:
Weight. Ugh.
Recently, I went to my family doctor for a regular old check-up. It had been 18 months since my last visit, so I was definitely due. I had intentionally been putting off this visit because I've put on weight since my last visit. I really really hate seeing people I haven't seen in a while (after gaining weight) because I can just see the look on their faces: "Wow. She's gained weight." Then you can just tell that their next thought is wondering whether the weight might mean that you're pregnant. I probably should just have a T-shirt made that says: No, I'm not pregnant. And yes, I know my butt's bigger." Just get in out in the open, you know? So I've shared these specific thoughts with my husband (who has never had a weight issue in his life) and some friends. Every single one of them has poo-pooed me. They just couldn't imagine a world in which someone would actually mention anything as unsavory as gaining weight, especially to the person who is the most recent fat cow. Well, I'll have everyone know...it does happen. What are the first words I hear from my nurse after calling my name? And I quote: "Have you put on weight?" I kid you not. Then she goes in for the kill..."Hop up on the scale." Oh joy. I watch as she writes the offending number down in my "I wish it to be destroyed" chart, and from 18 months ago...almost to the day...I have gained...to the pound...30 pounds. Ouch.
It wasn't a surprise or anything. I'm not delusional. I knew I had already gotten out my fat clothes. I knew that even they were beginning to be snug. Again, ouch. But you still don't like seeing the evidence in black and white. And I most definitely didn't like hearing about it from that stinky old nurse. She asks me: "So what do you think is the reason behind your weight?" Uh...I eat too much? Maybe that was too obvious. Or maybe, just maybe she is literally the devil incarnate.
So if the next time you see me and I am a mere shell of me...I have decided that my personality is directly proportional to my size. The larger my size, the smaller my personality. I think that visit just sucked the joy right out of me. So if you're ever in need of a lift-me-up...give me a call. I can be your token fat friend.
Okay, I'm finished with my pity party. Thanks for coming.

And not related to the first two at all...
#3:
B's love for all animals.
We fed the missionaries Thursday night. One of the Elders showed us photos from home. He is an avid hunter. There were pictures with moose antlers, shelves upon shelves, of deer antlers, bear paws, bear and deer carcasses, and first kills. For real.
B was shocked. She asked: " Are those REAL?!"
She quickly informed: "I am going to save wildlife."
Oh that poor Elder. I felt so bad for him. We are just not judgemental people...but obviously I forgot to explain that to B. Every picture elicited some outraged or disgusted response..."I am going to work on a Preserve." "I am going to be a wildlife conservationist." "Why so many deer?" "What are THOSE?! REAL antlers?!" She really wasn't being judgemental, though. She was just honestly shocked that hunting is a sport.
I love that she is so compassionate toward animals. I just wish that same compassion would translate toward her sister.

7 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Dana, I love the crisp weather, too. It makes me happy. And you have at least one friend who doesn't fit into her fall wardrobe either. :)

Julie said...

Fall rules! Time for the baggy sweatshirts! :)
I don't even want to think about weight! Tyler is 6 weeks old & I'm trying to find clothes in my closet that fit that aren't maternity! Besides, I still have to lose the "baby" weight from Trevor! Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Fall and Spring are the best! Too bad Alabama doesn't really have much of either! I try and enjoy while it actually does last! :)

Jessica M said...

I'm going to second the "devil incarnate". I feel really badly that some health professionals are born without brains. Good grief!! Take it from me, you're a hottie!

PS- I went out to run this morning and almost went back in for a jacket. Hooray for cooler weather!

B said...

Your NOT, I repeat NOT fat.Take it from your loving B.:)

Wendyrful said...

So, while my computer was in the shop I didn't keep up as much as I'd like to. I've been reading(clear back from the start of school). I have been sitting here cracking up!!! Reading things out loud for Amanda and Bill to enjoy with me... unfortunately - I have this horrible cough, so... I'd be reading, laughing, and dying from coughing!!! Amanda told me to stop reading your blog! so I'd stop laughing, and coughing up a lung! I still thought it was worth it! Your life is so entertaining!!! ;-)

JT's Mommy said...

yeah - I keep growing out of my clothes too. I think I am just going to opt to go naked all the time - it will save me money :)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley