Just how hard are their heads anyway...?

Thursday, September 18, 2008

If you're going to go...go big.
Or as fast and unbalanced as you can.

Little man should, by all rights, have at least two concussions and a rockin' set of stitches by now. He, however, has a nice granite-hard noggin.

Potential disaster #1:
Little man runs full-out (HARD) around the house. He takes off at full-speed and only stops when he slips, falls, is distracted, or slams his face into something immobile. This particular obstacle was the corner of our wall that separates the living room and the hallway. He took off running for who knows what reason...and WHAM!!!...slams his face against the wall and goes sprawling into the foyer. He got some seriously good slide time on that one. I ran to grab him because I thought he hit his foot. Thankfully, it was the boulder we refer to as his head, because toes would never have survived the impact. He was already rubbing his head as I picked him up. A couple of "ouch"es and 22 seconds of crying later...he's up and at 'em again.

Potential disaster #2:
He loves cards. Correction...he loves pulling cards out of the box and throwing them up in the air so he can innocently ask me to "fix it please". The most recent card tossing extravaganza took place next to the island in our kitchen. Being a tender-hearted little person, he decided to help me "cweam up". Obviously he has hit a growth spurt since the last time he walked under the island, because when he stood up after being a nice little helper...SMACK!!!...the top of his head found contact with the metal "L" brackets underneath the island's butcher block top. I was already deciding which towels would best absorb blood when little man walked out from under the island, rubbed his head, and said "ouch". There may be some ancient Chinese secret to the combination of rubbing and saying "ouch" that protects against injury...because there was nary a drop of blood. He didn't even have a bump.

Potential disaster #3:
K was in the kitchen getting a cup of crushed ice from the fridge when little man ran up and tackled her from behind. Seeing as how she was caught completely unawares (I love that word), they both went crashing down to the ceramic tile. All I could hear was little man's head hitting...CLUNK!!!...the tile. I just knew he was going to be knocked out...nope, not even a blink. K was more upset because I was more concerned with her brother than with her. But in my defense, she was on top and she looked totally unharmed. She went off crying to her Daddy while I examined the boulder (i.e. the boy's head). He cried for a second...maybe two, and was fine. Once I was satisfied that the emergency room was not needed, I went to make amends with my severely neglected (please read with sarcasm) daughter. After ruthlessly branding me with a guilt trip, she relents to tell me: "I wasn't really hurt."
Why I oughtta.....

I feel as though I should clarify a couple of issues (for my mom and dad specifically because I can just hear them now)...
*yes, I checked his pupils continually for sign of concussion
*yes, I double-checked and made sure there was no blood or bumps
*yes, I checked on him in the middle of the night
*no, I didn't call the doctor
*no, K really wasn't hurt...she was just milking it
*yes, he makes me nervous too, but all the protective bubbles are sold out online

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay . . . you must explain the ground rules to little man concerning his behavior when in the presence of his Goppie: 1) he is not allowed to climb up on any countertops, furniture, trees, etc.; 2) he is not allowed to run into objects; 3) if he does have an accident, he is not allowed to bleed or lose consciousness; 4)he is not allowed to jump off of or across to anything; and 5) he may not break any bones (of his own or anyone else's). Yep. I think that about covers it. By the way, I'm checking other sources for a protective bubble suit for him.

Julie said...

Thank God for that boulder! Do little boys EVER sit still?!?!

hope said...

I wish mine were that hard. HOnestly. Someone threw a frisbie that accidentally hit me the other night at soccer practice. Ouch!! I bet one of my kids would have just picked it up and thrown it back!

Lacey Freeman said...

Hahaha...sounds just like Chase. His head is so big and indestructable...(thank goodness!)

Jessica M said...

Ooohh, eeeehhh, I cringe and cringe again. It's amazing our children live to be adults.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley