Mommy waxing nostalgic...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Little man will be three next week.
I have enjoyed his #2 year beyond words.
His energy, his adventurous spirit, his love of exploration and destruction, his love of being tickled because he likes to belly laugh...he is a dream.
Exhausting...but nothing better can be imagined.

Funny things just come out of his mouth.
(of course I'm not biased at all)

*He's not a "why?" kind of kid. Instead he is always asking "why not?"...it just comes out sounding so funny. For example: "Come help mommy put your toys back in the bucket." response "Why not?"
Why not, indeed.

*He stood up on the ottoman the other day and announces: "Ladies and Gentlebabies! Here comes K!" He went through the entire family. I have no idea where that came from and what exactly a gentlebaby is...but it definitely was entertaining.

*Unbeknownst to Steve, little man brought him an empty bag of chips and offered him one. When Steve reaches for the "chip", little man breaks out in a loud: "Ha. Ha. Ha." (imagine a little mustache twisting) On Saturday, he got a hold of the water hose and sprayed K as she rounded the corner of the yard. He laughs out a solid: "Ha. Ha. Ha." (keep twisting that mustache)

*I was chewing gum last night and inadvertently blew a bubble. Little man runs up to me and says: "Spit again, Mommy!" I explained that I wasn't spitting, I was blowing a bubble with gum. He revises: "Spit a gubble, Mommy!"
So much for his listening when we tell him how disgusting spitting is. I just made it great fun.

*Little man over heard Steve saying: "son of a gun" (don't judge...it could be worse).
Now, when frustrated, if he doesn't say: "oh snap" (courtesy of K), he says: "somagum!"

*Little man has only recently begun saying he's 2. Okay, so he only said it for about a day. I was still pleased that he was finally on the correct age before moving on to the next. How quickly things change...now when asked how old he is, he says: "2 in 4 minutes".
Again, I have no idea.

*I asked little man what he wanted to do for his birthday. He "um'ed" for quite a while...literally the sound "um" lasted for the longest time. Then he said: "A cake...and a candle."
Okay, done. Nice and easy.

*I asked him later if he wanted Cars, Diego, dinosaurs, Wubzy, or Blue's Clues for his birthday stuff. He just says: "Yes."
Big help.

*K asked him what kind of party he wants and he answers: "Cars and stwaberries."
Where exactly did strawberries come from? This from a child whose fruit variety consists of apples and Hannah Montana Fruit by the Foot.

*There is a framed picture of me and the kids on Steve's computer desk in the study. Today little man keeps walking around with this picture. It's kind of big and I really hope he doesn't drop it, but he's just so darn cute. He's walking around with this picture dwarfing him singing: "la la la la la". I asked him if he could please put it down...he looks back at me and says: "I love it."
Well, of course he does. What was I thinking?

I absolutely cherish every funny, cute, frustrating, and/or confusing thing out of his little mouth. He fully entertains me. And I'm pretty sure he knows I'm wrapped up tightly around that chubby little finger.

---------------------------------------------------

As much as I've been happily swimming in little man's conversations and antics, I've also been missing the vocabulary the girls used to bless us with. They are just getting to be so grown up. But last night, K was having trouble getting to sleep and came out to the couch to sit with me for a minute. She must have really been tired because she reverted back to a word that I have missed oh so terribly...
I asked her why she couldn't get to sleep. She said she just couldn't get "conchterble".
Ahhhhh...sweet memories.

The weirdest thing happened with B.
She simply walked into the room, and I jumped. She literally scared me. She's gotten so tall I didn't recognize her out of the corner of my eye. I said: "You are almost a real person now." She calmly responded: "I've always been a real person, Mommy."

Uh yeah. That's not exactly what I meant, but how do you explain your heart to your 10-year-old?


(It's all sweet smiles until the hormones rage.)



(The classic "I know I shouldn't have said that, but you can't really be mad at something this cute, can you?" look. It's all in the eyes...frightening aren't they?)



(Not his happiest moment, but sometimes a mom just has to capture the face that triggers short-term memory loss.)

3 comments:

Jessica M said...

I can NOT believe that Carter is almost 3. The empty chips bag trick is awesome. He's a smartie, really.

The new piano looks great! Hope y'all love it!

hope said...

What sweet angels that live among you! It is so weird for me to realize the same thing. Why do they have to grow up??

Anonymous said...

Once again I am awed by your ability to put your moments into such beautiful words. Awed and jealous. :)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley