Let's give credit where credit is due...

Monday, September 29, 2008

Little man likes taking things apart.
Some times things don't come apart as easily as he would like.
Case in point...our telephone.
He tried and tried to get the back off the phone.
He loves to see the battery dangle. I think it just amuses him.
I thought a little tape would solve the problem.
Wrong.
Realizing old ways weren't working, he threw the phone onto the hardwood floor.
Not surprisingly, the back popped right off and the battery flew out.
He looked up at me with a satisfied little face and said:
"I did it."

Little man likes to lock doors.
Usually he can unlock them...unless there is a childproof gadget attached.
For reasons I will not take time explaining, I have the door knob to our laundry room reversed so it can be locked from the hallway as opposed from inside the room itself.
One day little man locked me in.
Scary.
Not me being in the laundry room...little man having complete and unsupervised access to the entire house. Yikes!
I call for him to unlock the door. He tries. It doesn't work.
We go through this exciting routine for the next 10 minutes until I have a mini-breakdown.
Little man says: "Okay, I unlock. Mommy not yell. You not be mad, okay?"
I assure him through gritted teeth that I will not yell and that I am not mad.
I ask him to keep trying while I decide to just track Steve down at work.
Miracle of miracles...he's actually in his office when I call!
"Steve, little man's locked me in the laundry room. He can't get the door unlocked. Please come home and let me in the house."
(pause for unnecessary laughter)
"What do you mean you can't come now?"
After listening to the most frustrating play-by-play on how he would get the door open, I politely thank him for his time and hang up on him.
Back to the choreography with little man. Still no luck. Aarrrrrgh!
I go into the garage looking for a screwdriver the right size.
Why are things never where they are supposed to be?!
I finally find the darned thing and spend another 10 minutes taking the doorknob off.
Problem is...once you get the doorknob off, you still have to shimmy the locking gizmo just the right way to get the door open.
I literally broke a sweat.
All this time, little man is shuttle running from the locked door to who knows where doing who knows what. He is at the door when I FINALLY get the stubborn thing open.
Without missing a beat, he swings the door open wider and says:
"You welcome."

Yeah, thanks.

5 comments:

hope said...

What a good boy!! Helping Mommy out of the laundry room!!! (Sarcasm totally included)

How terrifying!!! I am so sorry!!!

Julie said...

Wow...never a dull moment at the Herwigs! I'm sorry about your latest "happenings," but they alwasy make such great blog posts! Your little guy just wants to entertain all of your blog readers. :)

I'm thankful that our doors don't lock...

Anonymous said...

Hearing the story about little man reminded me about the time I locked you in the car with the motor running. As usual, you were trying to escape being put in the car and I had opened the door, "thrown" you in the front seat, and slammed the locked door shut! [renenber, that was before the days of car seats, seat belts.] I was having a "come apart" as I worried about what might happen. I could envision you putting the car out of gear and it careening backward down the street into traffic, etc. Then your Grandmom calmly said, "Tell her to unlock the door." Now there was a perfect solution, but somehow in the excitement of the moment I had forgotten that my 3-year old could unlock the door herself. And that's what you did as soon as I asked you to. Sometimes I just miss the obvious!

Quincy Sorensen said...

So, in what condition was your house? :)

Dawn, said...

Thank you, little man, for giving your mommy such wonderful material for her blog!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley