No, not for a wedding. Silly.
It's our new (old) piano. Isn't it great?!
I've been looking for an old piano with all the dings, scratches, and imperfections that really show the character and love of it's history. And I really didn't want any fluff...just clean, straight lines. I wanted it to look like a cross between an old saloon piano and an old church piano (this last distinction is thanks to my years growing up a preacher's kid traveling from one old country Methodist church to another.) I couldn't believe my luck when this one showed up on Craigslist!
It used to be an old player piano. The owner's weren't sure when it was converted, but decades ago they had found an old tuning date wedged inside. She's had the paper taped inside the top for about 28 years. Assuming the piano was tuned post-conversion, it's at least 85 years old. And boy, can you tell. Ain't it great? If you slide open the window where the music scrolls used to be, you can watch the hammers. (Little man is more than a little mesmerized by this.)
The best part about our new addition is that it was a complete surprise for K.
She had no idea I was looking for one. She was just happy to have a keyboard to practice on.
The girls were with Grandparents for the weekend, so we decided that would be the best time to take on our little mission. Thanks (and I can in no way express appropriate gratitude to our amazingly willing & fortunately strong friends and their wives for loaning them) to some great friends, we were able to sneak the piano in late Saturday night.
K was beyond surprised when the girls returned home on Sunday!
All the kids have taken their time plunking and tickling the ivories, but K spends most of her spare time parked on that bench practicing. Working out the logistics in getting the piano may have been a bit of a pain, but it has been well worth it. And so far...I've yet to get a piano-induced headache. Yay for small miracles. :)
Now when B starts art lessons in January, we'll have to come up with some fun surprise for her. Any ideas?






5 comments:
Pretty cool! It's nice when you are able to score and find the thing you were looking for! Congrats on your new or old piano!
I am so happy that you found just what you were looking for. It's a blessing to have a piano! Yay for K and the whole family. :)
What a beauty! I am a little green over here right now. I love my electic keyboard, but dream of having a piano similar to the one I grew up with.
Breathtaking!!!
Excellent score!!!! Isn't it the greatest to finally find THE thing we've been looking for?!?! I still kinda feel that way about my Odyssey minivan and I've had it for like 2 1/2 years now! ;)
Post a Comment