You know how you can make one innocent comment pertaining to something positive about your child...then nature's unrelenting balancing act takes force and...things return as they once were?
Yeah.
I had just said (my mistake) that little man has been doing so much better about not throwing hard objects at people...specifically their heads.
Today, he was playing with an old Pentax camera. A couple of times he would come up to "take my picture" and I would flinch out of habit. Seriously, he used to throw EVERYTHING. We have all had our share of busted lips, bruised cheekbones, and bonked noggins. However, after realizing he apparantly had no immediate intention of throwing that heavy old camera at me, I relaxed, said "cheese" on cue, and contentedly went back to reading my book.
WHAM!
A few minutes later, he pegs me on the side of the head with that *%##$@** camera!
Let me clarify...it hurt...a lot...for quite a while.
He totally knew he had done something wrong and tried to act innocent. I wanted to yell and get mad, but I knew he needed immediate attention on the disciplarian side of life. I took him to his chair (he so knew he was in trouble because he didn't even complain, he just followed along like a lamb to the slaughter). I told him throwing things was NOT NICE and that he really hurt Mommy. I left him alone for a while until the pain subsided to a nice dull throb and he started calling "Mommy, wherah are you?" I go back and he says "sowwy" before I release him from the chair. I really think he could tell I was at my limit.
For the rest of the afternoon, he would point out random things in the room and say: "I not frow the mote (remote) Mommy." "I not frow the tway Mommy." "I not frow my book Mommy." I would quickly agree that he was indeed NOT to throw ANYTHING anymore.
A little while later...his questioning became a tad more disturbing. He then began asking: "I frow dis Mommy?" I frow my book Mommy?" I frow my toy now Mommy"?
Ummm...no son. You may not now or later throw hard objects at my head or any other exposed area. You may not now or later throw hard objects at another human being or animal for any reason. You may not now or later throw hard objects at the TV, computer monitor, lamp, or fireplace screen.
Too bad he can't read yet. I would have him sign this and then take it to a notary, soon after which I would frame it and hang it on our wall.
Did I mention I've got a bit of a headache?
Tombstone
6 years ago






4 comments:
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger", right? :) Maybe he'll be your pitcher!
Boys love to throw. remember Chad throwing his metal car just missing my head when I was driving? All because he was mad at me! 3 year olds!
So I haven't read your blog recently. This was too funny. I am sorry, but it was. Of course not the big bump part, but everything else. You gotta love the cause and effect learning stage!!!
This reminds me of a book. "Green Eggs and Ham?" No I will not eat green eggs and Ham. I do not like them Sam I am. . . .
"No you may not throw books at my head; not your toy, not the camera."
Boys love throwing and hitting and . . . . so on and so on. They do learn, some sooner than others. Good luck with your 'little man'
It sounds to me like you passed a test as well.
I have on occasion had to put myself in time out - my bedroom so as to pull it together.
You are an great Mom!
O.K. so can I suggest that after having the paper framed and hanging it on the wall, it would be a very nice 'Target' for him to 'frow' something at??? that would be Liam - he has been throwing things at the tv screen, luckily it is above the fireplace and he has yet to be able to aim well enough to hit it! but he has certainly tasken aim at pictures on the walls a time or two as well.
Sorry, we've been the target on a few too many occasions recently as well.
Post a Comment