Little man and I have been part of a playgroup consisting of him and two little girls for this past school year. Recently, a little boy has been added to the mix. They are the cutest little group of 2 year olds!
Little man has always played reasonably well with others. Of course there are always those little issues and/or skirmishes, but for the most part...not so bad.
Over the last couple of months, however (and I do hate to include the dreaded "however"), little man has become awfully territorial. If he was a dog, he would pee right around this house. So now, when his little friends come over...we have issues. He drives me crazy. Fortunately...so far (yes, I say "so far" because I am not a delusional mommy)...he is still a well-rounded child at others' homes.
Little man and I have been having these lovely conversations lately about sharing. (eyes now rolling far, far, far back into my head) Basically anytime the word "share" is mentioned, he shuts down. Bang. Tight like a drum. We also happily discuss (yeah, right...who's believing that?) being nice to our friends. Usually when I say the word "nice" in referrence to him actually treating someone else in such a manner, he takes that as an opportunity to fess up. He then tells me if he's hit or pushed or thrown toys at someone. Oh great.
This morning, it is my turn to have playgoup here in our home. I spent a lot of yesterday getting the kid prepared for the invasion. This morning, from the second he woke up, I've been pep talking the playgroup. Honestly, he is always excited to play with his friends. As long as I don't slip up and say the trigger words, he's excited up until they first touch one of his beloved toys. He still loves them and is very protective of each of them when it comes to issues and/or skirmishes with OTHER kids...but he just has that need to mark his territory.
So this morning, as we were organizing our toys (i.e. putting away the definite trouble makers...I am so not dealing with that kind of nonsense), little man comes up to me with the sweetest face and says: "I pay nice, Mommy."
I say: "You'll play nice?"
He says: "Yes, I pay nice wif Wosie and Bear and Nafan."
I say: "That is great, honey! I'm so glad you're going to play nice!"
I give him a hug and he smiles and melts my heart.
Then he once again confirms: "I pay nice."
I once again jump right in the conversation with hesitant joy in my heart: "Oh good. You'll play nice with Wosie?"
He confirms: "Yessss."
I continue: "You'll play nice with Bear?"
He confirms: "Yessss."
I go one more: "You'll play nice with Nafan?"
He confirms: "Yessss, I pay nice."
Then I push too far: "You're going to play nice and share your toys?"
He answers: "Nope." And walks away.
(sigh) At least it's a start.
Tombstone
6 years ago






12 comments:
Sounds like a "trade off" - really wanting to share OR telling the truth. So instead of concern over his generosity, let's praise him for his honesty!! Just a thought.
oh my gosh - that is so stinkin cute. How can you not laugh at his cuteness? Easy for me to say I guess, huh?
I laughed out loud.
That's my problem.
you have one cute little man!
I can't believe I spaced it AGAIN!!! And, I went grocery shopping with the stinker, it would have been much better without him. Oh well. Carter cracks me up, we so need to get these boys together...
Gotta love an honest boy! Can't blame the little guy for hating the 'S' word!
Dontcha just love boys?!?! And I'm with Little Man...sometimes I feel absolutely NO obligation to "pay nice" or share myself.;)
What a great story!
Ha ha ha. Classic. Of course I wouldn't know ANYTHING about territorial children. Oh well, at least we know they'll fight for their right, should serve them well some day.
Ha ha ha! He's so cute!
Hmmm...sharing or honesty? Which one would you rather have? ;-)
Haha. Love it. They are so honest.
I just had to stop in and say I miss you. The only times we were able to see each other was the blogging luncheons (what happened to March and April?!?!) and the gym and neither of those seems to be happening any more. However, I did sign my name up for oodles of things for the Christmas program for the Stake, so maybe I will see you then!! LOL By the way, tell your hubby thanks, again for me, in advance for helping move my parents in when they get here, and thankyou to you for letting him!!
Post a Comment