K's Baptism

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

K turned 8 on Easter...
and 6 days later was her baptism day!

Easter weekend through to the baptism weekend was quite possibly the best times we've shared as a family. The days were packed full and sometimes I thought there was just no way I could get everything done. Some days were more stressful than others, but the stress just didn't seem to get in the way. We struggled through some serious trials and tribulations in the months leading up to the big event, but during this week, we felt such joy and contentment. It was so humbling. I know that our family has been immensely blessed. I'm not saying we are worthy of it, but I am happy to accept it nonetheless. If my Father in Heaven can love me and my family enough to bring us such blissful moments, I refuse to question it. I fully intend on savoring every morsel of happiness I can. :)

On to the main event...
Lots of pictures were taken of K with those special friends and family who came to share in her day. We treasure these memories. I am more grateful than I can express to everyone who played a part. For this post, however, I am choosing to share the pictures that touch a tender place in my heart.


My still completely innocent and "perfect" K...arriving at the church, full of excitement and silly nerves!

K and her Daddy watching the font fill up with water.
Even though it could have been the other way around, K was giving him last-minute instructions. That girl. :)

Steve's so proud of his K. And she was over the moon to have her Daddy baptize her.

Big sister, B and K's treasured friends sang "Where is Heaven" during the program. (This song was sung at my baptism 12 years ago by a dear friend and K sang it at B's baptism.) What beautiful young ladies we are blessed to know. Thank you girls, we love you!

Our eternal family. My heart runneth over.
Is there really a way to find words that encapsulate the feelings of your heart? I think back on this day and tears fill my eyes. Everything and everyone came together just right. The room was filled with so much love and support. While K was getting dried off and dressed in her princess dress, we had asked everyone present to write a note to K expressing their thoughts, testimonies, loving advice, etc. I thought these would be a source of great strength and comfort for K throughout her life...and they will be, but I had no idea the effect they would have on me. Each person shared such lovely and touching sentiments. Some have known K since before she was born; some have only known her a short while, but each one offered something precious and perfect just for her. Thank you.
----------------------------------------
Moments I want to always remember:
*when K came up from the water and immediately tried to dry her eyes with her wet hands, to no avail, and instead buried her face in her Daddy for a big hug
*how K was so excited to see everyone as they came in...she knew they were there for her and she felt so special
*leaving both sets of church keys at the house and worrying whether the font would fill in time to actually start at 10:00
*little man coming up to me after the program was over and saying: "K take a baf (bath), Mommy!"
*K's confirmation...the potential this kid has is amazing!
*B's sweet rememberings of her baptism 18 months earlier
*once she was baptized, K asking literally every 10 minutes: "Am I still perfect?"
----------------------------------------
She doesn't ask so often now, but when she does...we unfortunately have to tell her the truth and then when she tries to excuse her way into perfection, we happily remind her that Sunday is only (blank) days away so she can take the sacrament and try all over again. She just can't seem to understand why it's so hard to be perfect all time. I wish I knew what to tell her, but I'm still trying to figure that out for myself. (Thank goodness Sunday is only 4 days away.)
-----------------------------------------
Quite possibly my favorite moment captured (thanks, Shannon!):
One of K's "best friends ever" giving K a precious daisy necklace and bookmark. The sweetness of this moment will always make me smile.
----------------------------------------
After the baptism, we had family and friends over for lunch and cake, then Steve ran our girls plus some extras back to the church for a primary activity while I stayed home to clean up from lunch, get little man down for a nap, and get the house ready for phase 3: the Birthday Dance Party!, after which we fed the missionaries before falling into beds and sleeping a dreamless and longed-for sleep. Whew...

12 comments:

Lisha said...

What an amazing day! We're counting down to Carden's wonderful day!

hope said...

How beautiful! You described feelings I remember having just months ago. What a beautiful, sacred time for our young ones to enjoy. She is simply beautiful!

Cari said...

How sweet and special. Be sure to print out this post to give to her someday too. I think she would love to really know what you were feeling that day and what you went through to pull it off!

Anonymous said...

Cute pics of the girls that sang! They did a great job!
Milestones for our children always leave great loving memories that make life worth all the hardship!

Stefanie H said...

aw What a wonderful day :) I still remember my baptism like it was Just yesterday!! :)

Charity said...

So sweet- kids these days are really special, do you think?

BTW- I love, love, love your new haircut Dana. Gorgeous!

shari said...

I like your new background. So sophisticated and the pics look good. Sweet K in her princess dress.She looks so happy!

Becki said...

I'm so glad everythin went so well. They grow up so fast. Logan's baptism is only three years away, it's hard to picture, but I know it will be hear much sooner than I think. Thanks for the beautiful post!

JT's Mommy said...

Seeing the pics and reading about her day really makes me hate that we missed it (I was already hating that we missed it - but now I hate it even more). We were out of the country for #1 and #2 - maybe we will be around for #3 :)

Krista said...

Just caught up on your blog...I haven't touched a computer for three weeks. Just been to busy. K's baptism looked incredible! What sweet pictures. Her hair looks so good short. And I was excited to see the pic of your short do. Have to say I love it, it looks really good!

Jessica M said...

It was a beautiful day. K's dress was awesome! You have such a wonderful family (and good friends too).

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

What a wonderful day!!!Your pix are really great...such a precious memory!!! Wouldn't it be neat to get our K's together? =)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley