I want to be a "loser" too...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I am coming clean.
I love The Biggest Loser.
I mean...I LOVE The Biggest Loser!!
I look forward to it all week long.
Yes, I am serious...all week long.

K has even jumped on my plus-size bandwagon. I DVR it and when she walks in the door from school every Wednesday, she throws down her bookbag, jumps on the couch, and says: Did you record it? And every Wednesday, I am waiting on the couch with a snack and the remote. Of course I've already watched it, but I always conveniently "forget" what happens so K feels like we're watching it for the first time together. It's just fun.

Why do I love this show...nay, adore this show?
(I seriously tear up during the theme song.)
It just makes me feel good. Why? So many reasons...
*The host. Allison is just cute. She is so genuinely invested in the contestants and loves them so dearly that you just can't find it in you to hate her for being so darn cute. If she knew me, we would be friends.
*The trainers. I LOVE them.
Bob...sigh. Jillian...yeah, baby!
*The strategy of the gameplay.
We are talking competitive like crazy.
Some days...it is brutal. I don't think I could hang.
And I really hate to admit that.
*The prize.
A chance to win not only $250,000! ...
but to completely change their lives.
Let's face it...even those who don't win the money, come away with the best prize ever. It's a win-win situation. Who doesn't love that?
*The amazing shrinking figures.
Each week they just look better and better.
And happier and happier. Wow, do you get hooked.
*The fact that they have to run 15 miles every day.
Let me repeat...15 miles...every day.
And not walking. They jog or run. Oh yes, they do.
Even when they weigh 300 pounds.
It may take them all day to get it done, but they do it.
It really makes me re-evaluate my 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical.
*The motivation.
During and after each show, I have the strongest desire to get off my duff and sweat it off on the treadmill.
*The freedom of wearing spandex...
in front of other people,
not to mention the few million in TV-land.
I think this has to be a huge gift. I am always self-conscious of some part or other. Can you imagine the emotional freedom of being in a position where you just get used to others seeing all your rolls and flaws and sweaty face and nasty hair and yet you still feel good about yourself? Sounds like heaven.
Now we get to the heart of why I love this show...

*You get to witness these completely real people changing their lives for the better. The transformations are nothing short of incredible. They face and tackle their own personal demons. They overcome some serious physical, mental, and emotional obstacles. They are so grateful for what is happening. They really and truly are committed to learning how to live healthier lives. They inspire me every week. I have to admit...I love these people. They are my heroes.

*And finally...The Biggest Loser makes me feel good about me. I am being totally honest, so don't condemn a girl. No matter how big I think I am and no matter how much weight I think I need to lose, it ain't nothin' compared to my big-boned friends.

Yeah, I just read that again, and it sounds as bad as I thought it did...but I really do come away each time feeling grateful that my weight issues are manageable. I am grateful that I don't have deeply internalized issues that I need to surface and confront. I am also grateful to see that anyone can achieve their goals if they really commit.

So I am committing. I am committing to make better choices about what I eat. I have the knowledge. I just need the dedication. Why would I not want to be healthier? It doesn't have to be about numbers...although I do enjoy certain jean sizes more than others. It just needs to be about me really taking the time to think about the choices I'm making.

I'm hoping to feel better about myself, have more energy, and stop letting food dictate my happiness. And if I get smoking hot in the process...hey, I'm not going to complain.

11 comments:

hope said...

Okay, I will admit if I watched TV that would be one show I would frequent. I have heard good things on that one, and it is something I seem to ALWAYS be interested in!! By the way, after my family drama and busy week clear up we need to get back to the gym!!!!

hope said...

Oh! I almost forgot.... when/where is hte next luncheon???? We musn't stop now.

Anonymous said...

That show is amazing! When they show the before and after pictures of even those who left early, the change is astounding. Now go take a nap.

Julie said...

I was expecting another post about "Idol" after last night & the big controversy. I'm completely addicted to reality tv myself, but haven't gotten into "the Biggest Loser." Although I have watched "Celebrity Fit Club"...does that count? :)

Lisa said...

i LOVE the show too!! It is so inspiring!!

Dahnelle said...

Wow, you almost convinced me to add another show to the list of the 3 that I watch. Almost.

Stefanie H said...

Oh i'm a fan of that show too. But i don't watch the new ones, i used to watch the reruns like crazy. i LOVED it... i think it's amazing how much weight they can lose!.. I didn't know they ran 15 miles everyday.. i could NEVER do that. haha, I can't even do the 30 minutes of elliptical you do everyday.... I just do it til i get to one mile then i STOP. no matter how long it takes haha.

Cari said...

I am religious about this show!! I too look forward to it all week. I had no idea that they have to clock 15 miles a day. I barely make my 3-5, and that is walking/running. Crazy!

Cari said...

I forgot to mention how I much I LOVE your new header!

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched the show this season except for a quick peek last night and one other time. It is absolutely amazing to see how DIFFERENT those people look after they have lost so much weight! I couldn't believe it when I saw it last night. My SIL McKenzie and her husband just ended their own 7 week Biggest Losers Couples competition (you can read about it on her blog--there's a link on mine). There were 5 couples and they lost a total of over 240 pounds--in just 7 weeks! And my SIL and her hubby won. :)


And what was the "controversy" on AI last night??? I must have missed it.....

Lisha said...

How hillariously cute is your header! LOVE IT!!! I need to start watching the show!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley