Date Night

Monday, March 10, 2008

I had one of my best dates ever this past Saturday.
My date was so cute and fun...and giggly.

K and I had our mommy/daughter date, and now Steve has some serious competition.
Our date consisted of a few specific points of interest...
First, we went to ride the carousel at Bridge Street, but it was closed due to the cold.
(Even though we were going to brave it, but whatever.)
We shook off the disappointment and headed over to the Chocolate Crocodile to load up on some seriously delicious truffles and dipped pretzels and huge peanut butter cups. Yum!
Next, we went to the Monoco to watch the only G-rated option available until Horton Hears a Who comes out (no, K didn't want to wait a week for our date...she said she had already been waiting for FOREVER!) We saw College Road Trip instead. It would not have been on my list of movies to see at the theater, but it was for K and it was completely appropriate, so that's what it was.
I was pleasantly surprised that it was so FUNNY! We laughed out loud at several parts. And, thank goodness for G-ratings, there was not one single part where I cringed or needed to cover her eyes or ears or had to make a list of things to explain later. It was just a silly movie and a good time.
After the movie, we decided we needed to stop by the photo booth for a souvenir.

(FYI...people outside can watch a screen on the outside of the booth and see your entire photo experience.) I kept hearing these interesting comments: "Oh, that's a sweet one." "Ha ha, I like that one!" "Aw, how sweet." When we finished, I pulled open the curtain to see a large group of complete strangers gathered around just enjoying the entertainment.
Of course, we couldn't leave Bridge Street without visiting the Chocolate Crocodile one more time. Yeah, we love chocolate. Although this time I bought my mom a dipped apple as a thank you for watching little man. (See? It wasn't just a selfish trip.) I have to expound on the apple...after much deliberation, I decided on the Apple Pie Apple. It is dipped in caramel, then in white chocolate, then rolled in tons of cinnamon and sugar. Wow. Mom said it was the best thing she's ever eaten. I am so regretting not snagging a piece.
Then, on with the rest of our night...
We had dinner at Cheeburger Cheeburger and got soooooooo full...and sleepy.
We were having such a good time, though, and didn't want to go home just yet, so we took a detour to Books-a-Million. We each picked out a book and enjoyed browsing through lots of "if we had the money, this is what else I would want".
No trip home would be complete without the most obnoxious sing-along ever. It was so fun, but I am so glad no one recorded it. I take great stock in the saying: "Dance like there's no one watching."
I sure love my K! She makes a great date! And maybe in 10 or 12 years someone other than myself and her daddy will find that out.

Steve and B had their daddy/daughter date the same day. I can't give an exact play-by-play since I wasn't along for the ride, but I do know that they had a great time and B could not stay away from her daddy for the next 48 hours. She stuck to him like glue. I can only assume he has set the bar rather high as far as a date goes. (Excellent work, Honey!)
What I know...dinner at Five Guys, candy at Chocolate Crocodile, pictures at the booth, Spiderwick Chronicles at the Monoco, Checkers and Battleship at home before watching a video snuggled on the couch.

We enjoyed our one-on-one time with our girls so much! We will switch up next time so I get a date with B and Steve gets one with K. I can't wait!


12 comments:

Cari said...

How insanely fun!! Those are the kinds of things that your kids are going to remember forever. What a good idea to switch off.

Stefanie H said...

Aw that sounds like so much fun, Some of my favorite times have been dates with my mom :) By the way, i LOVE your hair in that picture. I wish i had your thick wavy hair...JEALOUS!

Dahnelle said...

Chris and I actually had a date at bridge street not too long ago. It was so great!! We did silly little things like finding pennies to throw in fountains. He loved it! And of course the carousel and lunch. Ours wasn't quite as spectacular as yours, but we still had a great time!

Dahnelle said...

Oh, and Stefanie, I dare you to find ONE person that ISN'T jealous of Dana' hair.:)

Anonymous said...

Little man and I had a great date too. He was a perfect gentleman who kept me entertained all evening!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. We keep talking about Dates with our Kids but somehow they don't seem to happen. I love that you guys split up and did 2 dates in the same day--brilliant idea---and I plan to steal it! Thanks!

hope said...

This is perfect inspiration!! We made it a family goal this year for more quality time with the kids and I have been pondering how to go about doing it. This makes it seem so easy. Sawpping it up every month instead of making sure each child gets one night with each parent... that would just get busy. This sounds great!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

Lisa said...

My parents did that with us when we were young. Now they do it with our kids when we are with then. We do it too. Now that the kids are getting older it will be much more fun!

Jessica M said...

What a sweet idea!! Golden memories for your kids. And next time you head to the chocolate crocodile, try the chocolate dipped marshmallow sticks. Heaven.

Wendyrful said...

What a fun time! I too love the idea of date night and switching it up, and going the same night. We started daddy daughter date nights with our girls for their birthdays, that meant once a year. O.K. so at thsi point that is still 5 months worth of dates. But then one time I was invited along for the night. (I was so glad, since I always felt a little left out) ;-) Since that time we both take the birthday girl out on her date. (though we've never had as much fun as you all did on your dates!) So... I wonder if we could make some changes to our normal routine and do this date thing. It sounds like so much fun! And the kids usually like spending time one on one with us - since it happens so rarely.

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

How fun!!! You are SUCH the fun mom! ;)

And, yeah, your hair IS tres cute!!!

JT's Mommy said...

Ahhh - how fun! I have such fond memories of my daddy daughter dates! I had my last one as a teenager. We went to see the movie superman - and afterwards my dad was pretending to fly down the street humming the superman theme. Although I think it is cute now, as a teenager, I was mortified and we never went on a daddy daughter date after that :( But everytime superman came on, he would call me and ask me if I wanted to come to the house and watch it with him :) dang, I miss my dad :(

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley