Clean up vs. Camera...the eternal debate

Friday, February 15, 2008

I forgot to lock the ice and water dispensor on our fridginator. This is never smart.

Little man's radar must have immediately started it's high-frequency beeping, because before I knew it, he had grabbed a plastic cup and attempted to fill it with "cushed ice and waduh, Mommy".
Of course, the water obeys the law of gravity.
I turn to grab a towel and as I turn back around and toss the towel in the general direction of our new swimming pool...

...little man is helping himself to a nice, cool drink.


I said: "Ew, son! That's icky. Don't lick off the floor."
He looks up at me with the biggest grin and says: "I dink like Sashee, Mommy!" (Sasha is our Golden Retriever.)


I'm sure this is completely normal behavior. I actually have no problem with my son pretending to be like his beloved doggie. I remember B tasting cat food at a friend's house around this same age. K even spent an entire day with a toy collar and leash around her waist when she was three because she was determined to be our new pet. So I get that this is just what little people do.

What I think is slightly disturbing to me is that the second the water hit the ground, my first reaction wasn't to grab the towel...oh no, it was to grab my camera. I just knew something picture-worthy was about to take place. I'm not sure if this is just my finely tuned maternal instincts, or if my subconscious just knows that my son will take any opportunity to do something weird and/or disgusting and/or dangerous.

I'm thinking it's a healthy combination of the two.

11 comments:

Julie said...

I think the camera was the right decision. What's the use of a blog without great stories & pics?!?!

Birdie said...

Your "little man" is the cutesy little boy ever. I love your stories.

Anonymous said...

I still remember the first time we left you with friends - you ate a mouthful of dirt. You must not have liked it, because you never did it again!

Cari said...

I adore his grin in the second pic. So funny!

Lacey Freeman said...

Haha...he is so funny, I love his smiles. I am so the same way...sometimes, I even egg Chase on to get some good pictures. It makes for good stories and memories! Gotta love those little boys right?

Jessica M said...

That's great! I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, little man's creativity or your camera addiction. Ha! And actually, the teacher in me is quite impressed that Carter is making connections like "I'm going to behave like the dog." Where I come from, we call that smart, very smart.

JT's Mommy said...

I think, with him around, you should wear the camera around your neck at all times! LOL - I can't wait to be home and see him and the girls (oh- and you and steve too) ;)

Ang said...

That second picture is priceless! What a cutie. How could you ever say no to a smile like that. You are in trouble.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dahnelle said...

See, I keep posting as Dave. That's my problem.

If you had wood floors, the towel would have been best. As you have tile, thanks for making the right decision:)

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

The camera is always the better decision =) (except in the case of hardwood....YIKES!); just know that as they get older, it is still hard (sometimes harder)to keep from laughing at some of their shinanigans, which can be used against you by the same darling kids....Your Little Man is just too cute and, I think I've said it before, but you're in for a ride with that boy...Too fun!!!!=)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley