Let me preface this with my sweet husband's opinion of Valentine's Day.
Actually, let me preface my preface with this statement:
My husband is now and has always been extremely thoughtful and romantical.
He will bring me flowers for no big reason. He will compliment me without coersion.
He will even suffer through television shows and/or movies that make him slightly nauseous just so he can spend time sitting next to me. When I do nothing more than make PB&Js for dinner, he sincerely thanks me and acts like I've offered up a five-course meal.
Basically, my husband is the best.
Now for the original preface:
My sweet husband does not "believe in" Valentine's Day.
I know...one could easily assume that this is just a handy little platform on which to perch that would then always and forever excuse him from acknowledging the day in a manner that the majority of husbands would fear to shun. However, after 10 years of marriage...I must defend his honor.
If he never took the time to show me he loves me, I would have to take issue...but in all honesty, he makes me feel loved every single day. Highly sickeningly sweet, but true.
And now that I have established a secure foundation for my husband's intentions, I can happily poke fun at his Valentine veto. He says:
"I do not need a calendar to dictate to me when and how to show my wife I love her."
Roll your eyes if you must (believe me, it took years of harassment on my part before I finally came to terms).
So Valentine's comes and goes around here without much to-do. The kids exchange cards and treats at school, they make and receive cards and treats with us, but that's about it. And believe me when I say that I am totally fine with this scenario. I also know that because of Steve's stand on Valentine's Day, he will make a point to bring me flowers and cards and plan a couple of fun dates over the next few weeks. I have to admit...I think I've got a pretty nice deal going on here.
Back to the reason for my prefaces and my sweet husband comments, ad nauseum...
The Young Women in our church are raising money so they can all attend Girl's Camp this summer. One of their fundraising "schemes" was to sell Valentine's to the husbands for their wives and/or daughters. It was a brilliant plan. I'm pretty sure they made a nice chunk of change and look at what we found in our yard this morning...
hearts everywhere...
There must be close to 100 hearts in our yard and in our mulch.
And look at my pretty door.
My neighbors are going to think we are
the Valentine's-est people ever!
I am secretly waiting for the razzing to begin from my next-door neighbor when Steve gets home from work today. Ahhh...good times.
My poor honey, after all his hard work over the past decade of taking his stand against the "day of love", he succombed to the pressure of a few cute young ladies with their big eyes and silly giggles.
But I think he actually likes it. B, K, and I were so tickled this morning and of course he got more than the usual amount of hugs and kisses...along with a few exclamations of adoration.
Yeah...he liked it.
Is it too early to suggest this same fundraiser for next year?






8 comments:
What a great way to greet the morning! Love is everywhere! When did this happen . . . late at night? early this morning? They definitely earned whatever money they made. Love to all.
What a unique idea! I had the same question...when were they able to do this? And what did they use to put the hearts in the ground?
What an awesome idea! I really like that and I am going to have to remember that one for future reference. I think it is funny that Steve is so over Valentine's day, because X is so the opposite...it's one of his favorite holidays...I don't know why, but he loves it.
I think this might just be the most brilliant YW fundraiser idea EVER! I definitely filed it away for "someday when I need it." :)
Ok #1 I am in total agreement with Steve. I HATE Valentines Day and I am always telling Chris I hate it. This year, after how many years of trying to boycott it, I think I finally convinced him to boycott with me. I like NOT celebrating once a year since we celebrate all year long :) #2 I have instructed Chris that if he EVER gets the idea to pay the YW to heart attack me, that he had better pay them to come clean up the hearts the next day :)
So, is Steve cleaning up your yard? Hmm - sounds like a good chore for the girls...
What a brilliant fundraiser!! I love that. My hubby isn't the most romantic of folks but when he gets inspired he can really out do himself. Like you, I like those spontaneous moments better.
So, Shawn feels the same way Steve does about V-day. He refers to it as the day that gets husbands into trouble. I just enjoy seeing what he comes up with each year. This year I had no clue so many were getting this same treat even when he came home Wednesday night and didn't tell me. As obvious by my blog I thought it was someone else. And I agree this is thee best YW fund raiser ever!! How sweet is it??
That is so neat!!! You are one blessed (spoiled) chick! ;) Kudos to both Steve and the YW .... awesome surprise!
Post a Comment