Penguins and iPods aren't always the best combination...

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

In theory, I'm a genius. In reality, not so much.

Remember how I said that the MP3 players for the girls were the best gifts we ever gave ourselves? Well, I still stand firmly behind that. They are a very welcome addition to our family.

It was in the same mind frame that I purchased something similar for little man...
not an MP3, but a stuffed penguin that acts as a speaker for my iPod. I figured if the MP3s kept the girls happy on road trips and basically whenever we need them to be somewhat calmed down, then this would be perfect for my little guy who loves music. I just wanted a pleasant car ride. Is that so wrong? I thought, and let me stress the word, thought I was being smart with this purchase.

He does love his new penguin friend and he does love the music that comes out of its headphones. See...?

He walks around all day with this thing.
(It also doubles as his dancing partner.)

"What's the problem?", you may ask.
Well, the problem is that he loves it a little too much. He wants this thing on night and day...forget about the car. The other problem?
He is just too darn smart for his own good.
He's discovered how you can unzip the side of Mr. Penguin to expose the iPod safely nestled inside. So he'll listen & dance for a while, then unzip, then pull out the iPod, then screw with the thing until there is no more music. He'll then bring it to me and say: "Boke it, Mama. Fis it, Mama." Yes, it is extremely cute and all that, but after about 23 times...the cuteness wears thin.
And then when I try to take the iPod so I can charge it up because the battery only holds up under only so much stress...he has a meltdown rivalling that of his sister, K's. (very, very frightening.)

So what I thought was a brilliant idea turned into just another tug of war with my very determined 2-year-old.

"Why don't you just take it away?", you may ask.
I wish I was that strong. But it's not so easy when you try to cajole, plead, force, and sneak the thing away and this is what is looking back at you...



Need I say more?

7 comments:

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

That darling little face WOULD be pretty hard to disappoint, but trust me on this, Dana: you have to start building some immunity to the cuteness factor now while he's still little... you'll really need it in the not-too-distant future! =)

Cari said...

The combo of the crazy cute grin and the bed head would just be too much for me as well. That last pic is too adorable. I offer no advice b/c I would do the same thing you are doing. Wimps!

hope said...

Don't you love their intellegence?! I especially love when decisions of great effort backfire like that!

Anonymous said...

Okay . . . how would this work. Let the battery run out, tell him the penguin died, then have a funeral. Hmmmmm . . . just a passing thought.

Lisa said...

How can you resist a face like that?? CUTIE PIE!!

Anonymous said...

ummmm...you are brave, if he is doing that to the penguin (which is minor now)...it's only a matter of time before he thinks up some marvelous plan for the i-pod! :)Believe me, I was a child of many schemes and it was quite fun and it looks like he has the face of someone that could enjoy being a mastermind! LOL

Becki said...

Hey! You should try saftey pinning the zipper shut. I guess then it could open and poke him, so if you try it and that happens, please don't blaim me ok? I loved the story though! Two year olds are very smart and stubborn...a bad combination.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley