Eww.

Monday, January 7, 2008

This wasn't a moment to make a mother proud, but sometimes you just gotta share...

Little man is somewhat potty-training.
(Already, you can sense where this is going?)
Like I said, only some-what. We are not actively pushing anything.
He has his little potty he likes to sit on occasionally. He has his Pull-Ups he absolutely loves.
And right now, he is very interested in taking his diaper/pull-up off the second he stops peeing in them. It's a start, right?

Maybe you can tell, but I am not a pushy potty-trainer. I just let it happen.
It worked like a dream with the girls, and I am happy to see if it works with little man.
If not, I'll be asking for advice...

So here's what happens...
Little man just pees and takes off his jeans and diaper.
He brings them to me and lets me know: "I pee-pee, Momma."
I say: "Thank you. Can you let me know BEFORE you pee-pee next time?"
He answers with a giggle and a gleam in his eye that I would swear was sarcastic.
He really really does not want anything back on his bottom.
I'm attempting to straiten up the house for the umpteenth time (basic damage control), so I figure there's no real harm in letting him run around for a few minutes all free willy. Usually after he pees, we have about 20 minutes before the next build up.
Yeah, well you know what they say about people who assume...

I'm in the family room, and I hear him opening the dishwasher.
This drives me crazy that he can now reach the child latch on top of the counter to open the dang thing! Anyway, I immediately go into the kitchen to close the dishwasher and remind the little stinker to "Stop doooooing that!" In the 4 seconds it took me to get to him and the dishwasher, he had climbed up on the open door and peed right into the dishwasher...clean dishes, I should add!

I honestly didn't know what to say or do.
It happened too fast to get the camera. (lucky you)
It happened so fast I just stared at him.
He looks up at me and says: "I pee-pee, Momma."
What was I supposed to do? I did what any good mother completely in love with her too-cute-for-his-own-good son...I laughed.

I tried to have a little talk with him about peeing only in diapers / pull-ups / potty, and he seemed to listen so sincerely...but I'm not fooled. Now nothing is safe. And I dread the day he learns how to aim properly. Oi.

Let me just say that I am eternally grateful for the sanitary cycle on my dishwasher.

12 comments:

Stefanie H said...

hahaha, I saw him at church on sunday! Too Cute

Cari said...

Hearing about the antics of your little boy is like having a time machine for me. I get to hear about what I have to look forward to.

PS. I would have laughed my butt off too.

Julie said...

LOL! That is the funniest story EVER! I love it! I'm so sorry to get such a kick out of your horror story, but that's a classic! That will be a story to tell for years to come! Good luck with the potty training! I'm not looking forward to that one...I don't know if my dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle...

JT's Mommy said...

OK - I am having technical difficulties here - seems there is a German version of Blogspot and when I try to make a comment everything is in German...
Anyway -I think I finally figured it out... just had to tell you that I laughed so hard when I read this! I woke chris up and read it to him. I was laughing so hard I forgot to tell him WHERE I was reading it from. He laughed so hard and when he calmed down, he said "You should send that to Dana" I laughed again and said "Honey, that WAS Dana!" We laughed so hard that I think we may get kicked out of Army Lodging tomorrow :(

Lisa said...

Okay, this is my third time reading it. I have finally stopped laughing enough to leave a post. That is SOSOSO funny!! hahahaha

kg said...

waiting for your top ten.....

Ang said...

Ha. That's pretty good. I'm sure this story we'll have lots of stories of him doing his business outside infront of everyone. LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

Lisha said...

You're right, that is a great story, especially in writing. He's gonna love that some day. And I hear ya on the potty-training thing. I was already starting with Carden by the time she was Nathan's age, and it hasn't even crossed my thoughts in regard to Nathan, except to bring momentary dread into my heart. That, I guess, is Emma's doing!

Jessica M said...

Oh that's great. One for the baby book, whew. Hilarious.

Jessica M said...

Oh that's great. One for the baby book, whew. Hilarious.

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

Ohmygosh!!! That is hysterical! Sometimes I miss having a baby/little one around and then I think of potty training and feel much better! ;) Thanks for reaffirming that for me! LOL!

Dahnelle said...

That's hysterical, Dana. Did I ever tell you about Chris's Great Yellow Adventure? This reminds me of it. Your blog is great. I'm suddenly feeling so...unworthy...
;-)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley