I had an interesting "teaching" moment the other day.
Actually it was pretty darn funny, but I wasn't so sure how it would turn out based on K's intro.
Moment goes as follows:
K: I'm perfect.
Me: Excuse me?
K: I'm perfect.
Me: Hm. What are you saying?
K: Well, if I die, I'll go to Heaven and live with Heavenly Father. So I'm perfect.
Me: Oh. (pause to collect much needed and perfectly explained thoughts)
No, you're not perfect. (okay, so the first comment could have been better, but hang on, I do improve)
K: Yes, I am. My teacher told me in church that since I'm not baptized yet, I can go straight to Heaven and Heavenly Father if I die. So I'm perfect.
(said with slight raising of chin as if to dare me to dispute her teacher from church)
Me: No, that doesn't been you're perfect.
(wait for it...improvement coming)
It means you're not accountable for your choices.
(brilliant explanation...I know)
K: (looking a little let down at her perfection being blown out of the water)
But I can still go to the best part of Heaven.
Me: Sure enough. But how about you plan on staying here with me for the next few decades?
K: Okay. (wheels turning)
What happens after I'm baptized...exactly?
Me: (internally relishing the blossoming teaching moment unfolding before my eyes)
After you're baptized (which happens in a mere 64 days...oh my GOSH! 64 days?!), you're accountable for the choices you make...good and bad.
K: I'm kinda scared.
Me: (oh great...) Why are you kinda scared?
K: I'm scared I'll make a mistake after I'm baptized and mess it all up.
Me: (secretly thrilled with the apparent appearance of conscience in my emotional diva's pshychie)
K, you're going to make mistakes.
(Hey, I'm nothing if not honest...just wait for it...)
Everyone makes mistakes. I do...everyday. And it's okay.
We're not supposed to be perfect. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes.
It makes us better people...even little people.
K: (totally not buying what I'm selling)
How is it okay if you mess up?
Me: (and here's the where I pull out the big guns)
That's what repentance is for, K. You make a mistake...you say you're sorry...you figure out a way to never do it again...you're forgiven...you make another mistake...you say you're sorry...get the idea? It just keeps going on like that. Pretty cool, right?
K: (looking doubtful and hopeful at the same time...don't ask me how she did it, but both looks were there)
Me: (seeing I haven't completed the moment just yet with my brilliant parenting...)
And that's why we take the Sacrament every Sunday. We get to make our baptismal promises all over again and then we get a whole week to try again.
K: (with precious pleading in her tortured little voice...)
Are you sure it really works?
Me: (laughing and hugging her at the same time)
Yes, Honey. I promise it really works.
K: (with such relief I cried on the spot) Oh good.
Moment over.
As a mom who sometimes wonders how many moments slip by without my noticing, I am so grateful for this small, but vastly important conversation. I was able to remind my beautiful daughter how much her Father in Heaven loves her. I was able to let her know that I really do believe all those things we talk about in church and at home.
That moment with K was good for me. It reminded me of how much we truly are loved; of how much our Father in Heaven wants us to be happy, and to have joy. I can't imagine not having faith that Someone loves me so much that They always know what is best for me and will send me the answers and impressions of how to discover it.
We're going to keep talking about these basic and essential gospel principles around here. We all need to feel that love and support. I know it helps me to re-focus my day. Maybe I can remember for myself that it really is okay if I slip up and make a choice that could have been better. Just because I make a mistake, the entire day isn't ruined. One mistake doesn't mean I'm a bad mom or a bad wife or a bad person. It means I made a mistake, and I can choose to either learn from it or let it weigh me down.
Well, I've got enough weight issues right now... :)
Tombstone
6 years ago






7 comments:
Good job! A very important lesson for each of us to remember every day. The other side to that, of course, is to be as forgiving of each other as He is of us.
beautiful, Dana.
When is your K's Bday? My Little K will be 8 April 25...they must be close in age. And from what I can tell, personality too.... =)
Isn't it kinda neat in a way that little ones can say with complete confidence "I'm perfect"? They're still innocent and trusting...the world hasn't given them any reason to doubt themselves or their abilities yet...
I think you handled your little discussion beautifully! Your kids are blessed to have such a wise and loving mom! ;)
Excellent work Dana! It's moments like these that we stop and think, OK I think I have the "mom" thing right for today.
I should make a copy of this and file it somewhere to reference in a few years.
Another good thing to come out of this is you know she is paying close attention in Primary!
I have tears. That was beautiful. What a good mommy you are.
Gotta love moments like that!!
Post a Comment