Memories and feelings...

Monday, January 28, 2008

Our beloved Prophet and leader, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away last night.
I cannot even begin to fathom the number of people whose lives have been blessed by this wholly amazing man. I am sure all will have memories and testimonies. I can speak only for myself and know only what is in my heart.

President Hinckley was the Prophet when I was baptized 12 years ago.
He has therefore been my example of a living prophet; how blessed I have been.
Never having met this great man, I still always knew of his love for me. He was one of those people who loved with the true meaning of the word, and you never once doubted that you were included in his warmth.

He taught every good and righteous principle. There was no end to his concern for us as people, not just as a church. He truly wanted us to live better lives in order to find everlasting joy. He encouraged us as women to realize our worth as wives and mothers. He patiently, and many times humorously, reminded and reprimanded us to choose the better path. He lovingly pushed for obedience in organizing and maintaining our food storage, consistency in our temple attendance, and dedication to our families. He personified a life that had "come unto Christ."

I am more than grateful for his diligence in reminding the brethren of their duties in the Priesthood. Because of President Hinkley's admonitions, I am blessed with a husband who follows the commandments, respects his priesthood and callings, and adores me and our children.

I love how much President Hinckley treasured his wife, Marjorie, through all the decades they were together on this earth. He has missed her since her passing four years ago. What a homecoming there will be!

President Hinckley was a kind leader. He was a strong leader. He was a humble leader. He was and will always be my greatest example. I hope I am a better person because of his teachings, his counselling, his humor, and his great capacity to love. President Hinckley once challenged us to live better lives...to take what we needed to improve on and do our best to improve...to take what we already had a grip on and improve on that as well. That challenge may appear daunting, but it is not; for President Hinckley reminded us in his challenge of that one detail that is so basic and simple that I sometimes forget...pray. Pray, do your part, and enjoy the blessings. If you don't feel like praying, get down on your knees and pray until you feel like praying. Simple...not necessarily easy, but simple and doable.

Oh how I will miss this man. How blessed I am to have been able to sit at his feet and learn of the greater things of the kingdom. I thank thee O God for our Prophet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to an exceptional servant for God.

Anonymous said...

He was the only Prophet I really remember and I will greatly miss the positiveness that he is known for and the great love he has for all of us! It must be sweet for him to be with his beloved wife again, though he will be greatly missed by all!

Dahnelle said...

I remember other prophets, but I never had a testimony of a true and living prophet until him. I even remember when I got it. Personally, it's very sad for me that he's not here anymore, but I am glad that he can be with his wife again. Thanks for the tribute, Dana.

Luna said...

well said and I echo your feelings.

Jenni said...

Dana, You definitely have a gift for putting words to what many people are feeling right now - thank you for such a wonderful tribute to a very special man.

Lisa said...

That was beautiful. You put some of my inner thoughts to words. He was a GREAT man and Prophet.

Jessica M said...

Amen.

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

An exceptional tribute to an exceptional man.

All I can say is 'Me Too, Amen'.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley