How do they grow up so fast?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Allow me a moment to wallow in the realization that motherhood is nothing short of a time-warp machine...

How is it possible to put them to bed one night and they are four-years-old with the last remaining traces of baby fat still happily content to cling to their hands, thighs, and faces...only to wake up the next morning and find that they are almost 8 and their little faces are slowly beginning to resemble that of an (ugh) pre-teen?

How is it possible to sit one day enjoying Dragon Tales and The Backyardigans and Maggie and the Ferocious Beast with my sweet toddler/small child who keeps making sure that her hand rests in mine and that we sing all the songs together...to glance at the couch the next day and find her enjoying a completely non-animated show without even thinking twice that she needs her Mommy for it to truly be magical?

How is it possible to one day be preparing cute little crafts and snacks and party games for my excited little Kindergartner and her classmates...to rudely discover (the very next day it seems) that the teachers are requesting 'no parents' at the parties and that the kids will all be happily playing board games?

Seriously...how is this possible?

This is what we were doing yesterday afternoon...


...getting her baptismal dress ready.

Can my baby girl really almost be 8?!
It just doesn't seem possible.
I know that I long for her to always want to cuddle with me, to not be embarrassed with hugs and kisses in front of her friends, to let me pick out her clothes, to want hair bows, to love her dolls and stuffed animals, to think a game of Twister and Monopoly with her family is a great night, to sing silly songs and not get embarrassed, to want so desperately to choose the right that she constantly is asking: "Is that okay, Mommy?"

I also long for her to mature into a happy, kind, and well-rounded individual. I long for her to develop her own testimonies and watch her faith grow and strengthen. I long for her to become my treasured friend as well as my precious child.

I sometimes wonder and struggle if I am a good enough mom for my children.
Will they learn all they need to learn to live good and righteous lives?
At the end of the day, I guess you can only do the best you can. If you're always doing your best, then you can never look back and regret that you could have done things better.
And is my best good enough...? I sure hope so.
I look at their faces and I see such promise...such great potential to become that person they are meant to be. I just need to remind myself that I hold that same potential.



Ready or not, here we go.

11 comments:

Jenni said...

I completely relate to those sentiments - how do they grow so quickly? It seems like just yesterday they were placing my sweet little K all wrapped in pink in my arms and now she is 15 with a boyfriend! Enjoy evey moment with those precious little ones for they certainly don't stay that way for long!

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

I never realized how fast kids grow until I had Trevor. It's amazing to watch them grow, but it's also a little bittersweet. Time needs to SLOW DOWN! In the day to day rush it's sometimes hard to cherish every precious moment.

Stefanie H said...

wow thats sad :\ I always worry about that for when i decide to have babies. It scares me that they don't stay cute little non-talking babies forever.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful words. You are a great mother of the three precious gifts from God. And for me to think/know that it was only yesterday that you and I were make those long trips to clinic, or you were asleep in your mother's arms on that certain pew in some church somewhere. Yes, time moves rapidly on, but God gives us each day to grow and teach. What a beautiful, smart daughter you are and what a loving mother you are. Can you tell that your daddy is proud of you and loves you so very much? So cherish each moment of every day and never stop teaching, learning, loving, growing and always lean on our God above. Time to stop. remember You are Loved!!!!!!!

Cari said...

Okay, I have to say, your dad's comment is just as sweet as your post. How cute is he?!

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

Ok, so here you go making me all teary. I am so totally right there with ya! All I can say is wait until you have several in high school and in the back of your mind a little clock keeps ticking off the days until graduation/college/leaving-home-and-never-really-having-it-be-the-same-ever-again. Stresses me OUT!!!

Hey, beautiful white dress for Miss K! Did you make it? Kelly wore my First Communion dress for baptism and Karlie will wear it also. My momma made for me eons ago and it will always be special for all of us...

and p.s. gotta tell ya...your parents seem like really fantstic people.... =)

shari said...

That is a beautiful picture of K.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful

Jessica M said...

What a sweet baptism dress!! I'm impressed by your handi-work.

kg said...

Beatiful dress!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley