Temple FHE

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Steve wanted to do a lesson on Temples for Family Home Evening (FHE).
I love when he does the lesson. I get to sit back and enjoy watching my sweet husband and his unique style of teaching. The girls and I picked out the songs, did the prayers, and chose our "after-lesson-game"...then the fun began.

Steve really wants the kids to develop a deep love for the temples. He talked with them about developing a love for attending, a love for the building, a love for the purpose, a love for the promises. It was very short and sweet, and yet very well thought out. He then talked with them about how our attitudes and behavior should be as we prepare to go to the temple.
Next, he walked around the corner with K for a little pow-wow; then K walks back into the room, up to B, and starts acting like a nut. She is talking in some sort of German/Italian accent and acting goofy and conceited and just plain weird. She then grabs B's hand and asks B if she'll marry her "just because...no good reason...I kinda like you, okay?" B of course says: "Uh-uh!" and tries to pull away. (That's my girl.) So here comes Steve around the corner (still in his work clothes of a dress shirt and tie) and very sweetly approaches B and talks with her about his mission he served and how he really would like to be married in the temple. Obviously, when he gets around to asking B if she'll marry him, B is head-over-heels and immediately says: "Oh yes!" (Very cute, but hopefully when the real day comes, she might make the real fellow sweat it out just a bit.)

Steve takes little man around the corner to prepare for the next object lesson. I had no idea how he was going to use the little one, but knowing Steve, it was probably going to be quite enjoyable. I was right.

From around the corner, Steve asks: "If you were getting ready to go to a friend's house, or church, or the temple...how would you want to dress? You'd want to look your best right? When you look your best, it shows that you care about yourself and that you respect those in whose home you're in."
Then he and little man walk back in the room...

We laughed so hard!
Little man walked out so "grown-up". His tie was still straight at that point, but when his daddy started acting like a goofball, he got so tickled. Steve had his pj bottoms pulled up so high, I almost peed on myself.
Steve was really hamming it up. Of course the girls immediately got the idea behind his lesson and spent a little while discussing how you can be on your best behavior and try to look your best when you go to someone else's house (i.e. church, temple) because they love Heavenly Father so much. It was a great FHE. And again, I find more reasons to fall in love with my husband. I am so grateful my little man has such a tremendous example.

...then we played Twister.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving C's cheesy grins!!!!

Anonymous said...

FHE would be a great idea for every family to follow. P.S. I love little man in a tie!

Mandi said...

That sounds like a great lesson. It's amazing how an object lesson can really make a point clear. And C in the tie it adorable!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley