The first is from Amy Roloff. She's the mom on the TLC show: Little People, Big World. I don't usually watch this show (no reason, just too busy to commit), but I did hear a sound-bite from an upcoming episode. Let's just say...it spoke to me. Maybe more accurately...it screamed right to that place in my mind and heart that seems to be constantly filled with worry and angst over my precious little people.
And I quote:
"I want to be friends with my kids...now's just not the moment."
Isn't that just the most correct statement? Of course, I want to be able to enjoy the time spent with my kids, and I really want them to enjoy spending time with me. But you know, I can't worry about filling two roles when I'm just one person trying not to screw up 3 basically perfect people. I can focus right now on teaching and guiding and nurturing. My children will hopefully learn how to be loving, compassionate, courageous, kind, hard-working, responsible, courteous, true, funny, friendly, etc. It is just going to take a while. Heck, I'm still learning! So I figure, if they are gathering the stones for this awesome foundation right now...then they need someone to be their contractor (so to speak). One day, when the foundation is secure...they'll know without a doubt that I love them unconditionally and that the times they didn't agree, well, it was only for their good. When the foundation is sound, they will see...they will understand...they will appreciate. And then, I can relax my position a little to really enjoy them as friends. And my great hope is that their love for and faith in me will allow them to equally desire my friendship in return. So I'll repeat the wise Amy Roloff... 'I want to be friends with my kids. Now's just not the moment.'
But that moment will come. And it will be a sweet and well deserved moment.
My next wise sage was also unexpected. She is my daughter, K. Most things that come out of K's mouth are hysterical or obnoxious...depending on the day. This time she was funny, but the more I thought about it, the more I could see the layers. Of course, she didn't intend for it to be so deep and profound, but it is what it is. :)
And I quote:
"I love group hugs! ...especially with other people!"
How cute is she?! Let me set the scene: Steve walked into the room and gave me a big ol' hug. Little man ran up and grabbed us both around the legs. B saw this from the other room, and came diving in. K was a little slow. (She was busy watching Hannah Montana.) She heard us all laughing and looked to see what was so funny that it needed to interrupt her favorite show...
The look on her face went from minor frustration to pure joy in a nano-second! She vaulted over the side of the couch, said her now-famous quote, and then launched herself right smack in the middle of our group hug. Of course, we laughed at her wit...but it wasn't until later that I appreciated her wisdom.
How many times do we overlook the obvious? How many times do we claim we know what we need, but we're actually missing a vital part in order to achieve our goal? K's funny little quip left me thinking about how simple most things really are or should be. I should step back and see the big picture before I start grouping things into sub-categories. I need to focus on what is best for my family. I need to ask myself: Will this make us happy? Will this take more time away from family time? Will my children learn something positive from this? And ultimately... Will this help us draw closer to our Savior?
And that is the big question.
Can I simplify things so that life can be lived and enjoyed at the same time?
Can I be who I am and turn that into positive teachings for my children?
Can I take the time to see the obvious in a situation...and appreciate it to the fullest?
Okay, so maybe I read too much into Miss K's line, but it works for me. :)






4 comments:
Great words of wisdom! Ditto on the friends thing. Too many parents try to be friends with their kids. Kids need guidance. You can be their friend but you have to be a parent first.
Love this, Dana! I enjoy your thought-provoking posts so much.
You teach me so much, I feel like such a shallow person sometimes because I don't always seem to get these deep inspirations and thoughts like you and others. Thanks for sharing!
I love that quote by the lady in the show. That is really going to help my in the coming years. Thx for sharing.
Post a Comment