Yesterday, I attempted to take little man to Toddler Storytime at our public library. Please note that I used the word: attempted. It really wasn't that bad, but I had high expectations. Let me explain...
I have Storytime history. I took both the girls for years. Once B started school and it was just me and K, we went religiously every Wednesday. It was our time. I literally cried real big, baby tears during K's last Storytime before Kindergarten. It wasn't just me...our sweet storytime lady was emotional too. (What can I say? We grow on people.) Anyway...I love Storytime! It has a very special place in my heart. With that being said, I have been looking forward to little man starting Storytime since the day he was born.
I should have known it wouldn't be the same.
The first time, little man did sit in my lap almost the entire time (he clearly thought I was going to leave him with strange people), but towards the end...he pooped more than the boundaries of the diaper could allow. We left quickly.
The second time, we had to go to Preschool Storytime because we couldn't make it the day of the Toddler one. Well, the stories were too long and over his head. Even the songs weren't toddlerish enough. We left early and I just let him play around in this reading house center in the kid's area in the main library. Not bad, but not my dream.
This last time, he was not interested in sitting still. (Unbelievable, right?) Normally, I can't stand it when kids walk all around and get in the way. I'm seeing now that it is because you can't contain them. So to everyone I may have judged a little too quickly..."I apologize. I am now aware of your situation and I will try to be a better and more tolerant person". (There, now I feel better.) It's just that K and even B were complete delights at the library. They sat, they sang, they listened, they colored (on appropriate paper), they made memories of our time.
You may be thinking that I should not have been so naive in even hoping for something close to this for myself and little man. Yes, I do know he tends to be a little "energetic" and "curious". I am not delusional. I guess I just wanted this to be our special time in our special place. But I do have intelligent tendencies, so I shrugged off my preconceived notion of how Storytime should be and I am working on a new plan...one just for me and my little man.
I do let him roam a bit during Storytime. It was really hard not to keep grabbing him and forcing him to sit. But that would have been pointless and counter-productive. It would only have taught him that Storytime is a place where he's unhappy. He may not ever sit through an entire story with rapt attention, but at least he won't be miserable. As long as he's not bothering anyone, I'll allow him a little freedom to see what's going on. Why would I want to hinder such passionate curiosity? That is part of his beauty. If we need to leave a little early, that's just what we'll do. And if we do leave early, and the weather is nice, we will go to the park.
Yep, that is our new special time in our special place. He loves to swing and slide and run and be loud. He's a boy. And I love that! So Wednesdays are our give-and-take days. He gives me about 10 minutes of semi-still just to give me the illusion of a good Storytime, and I give him time to be a silly, fun, active, loud, beautiful boy. Sounds like a good trade, doesn't it?
And to be honest...I'm not sure who's getting the better deal.
Look at the joy on that face! How could I want anything more?






10 comments:
You are one smart Momma. He is a cutie!
For some reason that story made me have a knot in my throat! It just reminded me of my mom for some reason...i loved that post
Oh Dana, this has to be one my favorite ones. It says the honest truth of what most mommies feel with their little boys. They are truly different than our girls. You are a great mom to emphasize his characteristics even though they may form a different picture. Cheers to you!
Super cute! I really love the last picture!
adorable!!!
He is one super cutie!! I here you on how different boys are. My boy just called me last week and said that Heavenly Father told him he is a man now. I remember story time at the library. Wasn't it just last week?
To die for! Great job, momma!
Oh, I am so sorry!! I don't take Skylah either, and she is 3! Maybe I should get over the fact that the last time she was "removed" from the room kicking and screaming. I just have been so skeptical!!
Catching up on blogging... the crib tangle looks hillarious! The things they do!!!
come on dana.. i'm Dying to read any entry ;)
I agree with Stephanie! When are you going to do an update??? AND I notice you commenting on other blogs but not mine!! What's up??? Are you turning into a lurker??:}:}
Post a Comment