Food for thought...literally

Friday, September 21, 2007

I'm in a quandry.
"What about?", you may inquire.
"Well, I'll tell you..." I begin.

Uh, I think not. Typing quotation marks makes me cranky. I'll start over.

I'm in a quandry.
It's been so long (for me anyway) since I've posted, I'm all in a bother about what to post.
The problem is not what to write about, it's what do I pick first?

I guess I'll be different this time (not from others, but from my normal postings) and not be witty or reflective, but share a recipe. My friend, Alisha, is now sharing yummy recipes on her blog almost on a daily basis. Another friend or two have also posted fun ideas for food. And since Kim suggested I jump on the bandwagon, I guess that's just what I'll do.

So sorry to those of you who have been anxiously awaiting the latest escapades from our family...you'll just have to be patient. OMGosh! I am so totally kidding! Like I actually think I'm all that enough for anyone in their right minds to be anxiously awaiting anything from me except for me to maybe shut up or something. :) Oh, sometimes I crack myself up. Wait...maybe I am funnier than I thought... Just kidding again! Man, you guys are easy. Oh no, that's just me being an idiot.

Sorry. I've obviously missed my love affair with my keyboard. I'll move on...

Kim, this one is for you. And of course for anyone else who would like to try it. We're an equal opportunity family here. I specify Kim because this is a dish I made for her and her fam and they "said" they really enjoyed it. So assuming they weren't just being kind, I'll share.

I'm sure most of you have one or more Taco Soup recipes. Here's one more. It is super super easy and I think it is the best one I've tried. So let me know what you think.

Sante Fe Soup

2 -4 cups shredded chicken
(we're white meat people, but obviously you can use whatever meat makes you happy)
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced (or)
1 TBS of minced garlic from a jar
2 packages taco seasoning
1 package Lipton Ranch Dressing mix
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
2 cans white or yellow corn, undrained
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 small can Rotel

Saute' (sweat, as we say in the south) your onions and garlic in either a little butter or EVOO until onions are translucent. Add chicken to pan for about 5 minutes to absorb some flavor. Add taco seasonings and ranch mix to chicken mixture. 1-2 cups H2O will be needed to dissolve all the powders and make the yummy stuff. Next, dump all canned indredients into crock pot. Add in your chicken mixture. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, and then simmer for additional hour. Serve in bowl with toppings of Tostidos, sour cream, cheese, and chives (if desired).

This heats up like a dream for a couple of nights
(if there is any left).
Enjoy!

Well, that was kind of fun. Who knew?
So what next? Dessert, appetizer, breakfast, pasta, chicken?

Anyone else hungry now?
Maybe this isn't such a good idea...

6 comments:

Julie said...

The recipe sounds delicious. Can you give tips on how to keep the young ones entertained while making it? :)

kg said...

I am SO hungry now and YES we really loved this soup! Mark specifically said, "I wish there was more" after we gobbled up what you brought over! I am totally going to try this on Sunday :) Yummy, thanks!

Did someone say pasta? Well I did walk this morning, right?

Ang said...

Seriously, I think we are kindred spirits ! Maybe I'm being too kind to myself to be put in the same category as you. I love your writing and I love the comments you leave me, especially the one about me "looking" preggers. It made my day. You are sooooooooo funny and witty and all that good stuff. I actually was thinking about your son when I posted that pic of my girl emptying out the bean bag elephant. Anyway, people, and probably you, are probably worried that I'm turning into a stalker by now so I'll stop. And so what if I am a blogger stalker!

Alli said...

Sounds yummy - we made something really similar the other night, but I think I want to try this variation. Hey, thanks for checking in on my blog every now and then - it makes me feel important :) Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for that "secret family recipe" I want....

Leslie said...

I have had this before and it is delicious!!!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley