Why can you never "catch up" on sleep?
I've tried. It cannot be done.
Why is sleep so elusive? What quality about sleep pushes it beyond our ability to capture?
Why can my child sleep for 12 hours and still wake up complaining: "I'm so tiiiiiirrrred." "Why do I have to waaaake up noooooww?"....while I, who would relish sleep of any magnitude, have to be alert and chipper and functional on a mere 4 hours and 18 minutes of sleep?
Is there fairness in that scenario? I think not.
So not only does sleep continue on its predesigned course, regardless of my needs or my frantic efforts to grab a tiny, small portion...it also is ridiculously unfair. Biased even, toward the younger generation.
I throw my hands to the heavens in a vain attempt to understand why, oh why, do the ones who disregard and take for granted that beautiful gift of sleep...why are they ones who receive it so easily or without any great effort? I, this tired and flat worn-out shell of who I have once been, stumble and fall and claw toward any second of that unobtainable bliss. Ahhhhhhh...to float on that beloved downward spiral toward mattress, pillow, and soft, cool sheets. The almost forgotten memory of the smell of crisp and clean bedding beckoning to me, as I labor on my knees for my last daily petition of safety and peace, brings tears to my eyes.
I must find a way to retrieve my lost friend. My friend, who has now become my foe. I do not enjoy this game of cat and mouse. I do not appreciate that sleep chooses others for his own. My emotions are raw. My feelings are injured. My patience is at an end.
Sleep, if you are hovering nearby, do not take me for a lost cause. Arrogance will be your undoing. I will once again slumber within your embrace. This must be done. Without sleep, my ability to function will soon begin its slow leak into oblivion.
Wish me well, my friends. I embark on a journey known to many, endured by the damaged, and conquered by few. I will rally my defenses and begin my quest!
Any ideas on how to start? I'm too tired to think...
Tombstone
6 years ago






5 comments:
are you needing sleep already at 8 am this morning???? Here's hoping Little Man takes an EXTRA long nap today...
Well written...I think I'm going to go lay down now :)
I just woke up from a nap. It was great...but now I probably wont get to sleep tonight!
Funny stuff... I don't think you would know what to do with yourself if you ever got more than 5 hours a night!
If you ever figure out how to catch up on it PLEASE let me know!
Post a Comment