It starts so young...

Friday, August 3, 2007


Can you see what my 2 youngest are doing?
Yes, that is an iPod on K's lap. Yes, that is little man holding up the second earbud to his ear. Yes, they are both dancing in their seats.
Now I'm all for keeping my kids entertained in the car with fun word games, I Spy, sing-alongs...you know, the things we did when we were little; but there is something to be said for easy. And plus, it's just so stinking cute. Guess what they're listening to...? High School Musical, of course! How silly of you if didn't know. (If you really didn't know, then you need to read my blog from the start...good info I might refer back to somedays.)
So my funny K LOVES High School Musical!!! (which I will refer to as HSM from now on to save on the typing) I mean, she LOVES this movie. B loves it too, but K doesn't "allow" her to love it as much as she does. (I'm rolling my eyes now.) We have a countdown to the premier of HSM2 in 14 long and torturous days, as K reminds me frequently. I cannot schedule anything for this night. I had to cancel on a friend's Southern Living party. I had to find another possible date to schedule a ward activity. I'm pretty sure none of are allowed appendicitis either. Because it would all have to wait until after the big show.
Her obsession is quickly reaching all new levels. She started off watching HSM once every other day or so. She then moved on to watching it everyday. We all, and I do mean all of us, Steve and little man included, now know all the songs...most of the choreography...and can spout out random sections of dialogue without much thought. K begged me to download the soundtrack onto my iPod, which I was happy to do for her; but now she sometimes forgets that it's really mine and that I actually have other songs on there I would like to listen to as well. As soon as we get in the car, she is asking for the iPod. (Sweet B is so patient. She just goes with the flow and waits her turn. Possibly because she knows it wouldn't matter anyway, but I'll give her the credit she deserves for tolerating her sister with this.) K does usually share with her brother as you saw, so of course little man can now sing a word or two in the right places...I am so not kidding!
Let's see...what else...? Well, I recorded the Good Morning America that had the cast of HSM2. Part of the interview was the cast singing part of one of the new songs and breaking down the choreography so the kids could learn it. K has now watched that part more times than I can count. I am not exaggerating. She would watch it. Rewind. Watch it. Rewind. Practice the moves. Rewind. Watch it. Practice. You get the idea. She has a HSM backpack for school, HSM pencils (thanks Bree Bree), a HSM shirt, HSM panties, HSM magazine, & a HSM poster hanging on the wall next to her bed. She would like more, but I don't think my sweet husband can stand much more. (But I do have to out him about something...I caught him listening to the soundtrack while he was on the computer...on purpose.) Remember rule #4 from my first blog post...you can't tell him. He doesn't read my blog unless I point something out, so no worries there. Anyway, moving on...
It is "interesting" to watch my little girl become absorbed into this world. I remember all too well my poster of Kirk Cameron. Counting down the days until Growing Pains or Full House (Uncle Jesse was way cute and you know it!) came on. I watched one of those "not good" Batman movies so many times because Chris O'Donnell was Robin. (There are many more examples, but I'll not torture you any longer.)
I could bemoan the fact that my baby girl is growing up and finding her own interests and passions, but I choose to remain delusional for a while longer. Since she loves to watch HSM with me and she loves when I sing and dance around the house to the songs with her, I can easily convince myself that this is inline with her previous love of The Doodlebops or The Backyardigans. HSM is completely age appropriate for her and B. There is nothing suggestive or cringe-worthy in any scene. It is in all actuality good, wholesome entertainment. As a mom, I appreciate that...more than I can say. I love that something so special to my daughter(s) is also something that can be shared and enjoyed by the whole family. I love that she wants me to watch and sing with her. I love that she constantly asks me about "Premier Night" with such faith that it is as important to me as it is to her.
Will this always be as she grows up? Will she always want me involved in her interests and passions? I'll go out on a limb and say: "Probably not." But I can cherish the time right now in which she does. And you better believe it's precious to me. I hope that through this "shared" love of HSM, she will learn how much I value our time together...how I respect the things she likes...how I can be fun and laugh and play. Maybe she'll never doubt me. Maybe she'll trust in that I care about what she cares about. But that I also want what is best for her and that I want her to be a happy person and a good person. B and little man included.
Can this happen? I'm hoping...yes. You know what? I'm planning on it. I want both my girls and my little man to love me and respect me. Honestly, I expect it. And I hope they expect the same from me. They know I love them. I also want them to know I respect them. How valuable this relationship is! It is so fragile. We have to work on it everyday. But doesn't that make it even that much more precious to us?
I used to wish that someone had sat me down before I started having children and told me how hard it really is! How you can pray and cry and laugh and sweat over the craziest of things and still feel clueless. How your capacity to love would fill you up so much that sometimes it physically hurts. How pictures of your kids would quickly replace wedding pictures. But I've decided that I'm glad I didn't know what to look for. I'm glad that I've had to learn as I go. The fantastic surprises and earthshaking crisis are unparalleled. I wouldn't have wanted those experiences tempered for nothing in this world. It has made being a mother all the more special. At the end of the day, I want to be a good mom. I want my daughters and son to be good people.
I think we've got a good start. Now if I can just not screw them up too badly in the process...

2 comments:

JT's Mommy said...

OK - here is the deal.... I will not tell Steve about the comment about him listening to HSM if you make some chocolate soup ;) Ah, bribery, it just may get me chocolate :)

Anonymous said...

I just want to know if Kierstyn and I can get invited to the Herwigs for Premiere Night!!!!!!
It's ok, K--I LOVE HSM, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley