Friends, ice cream, & silly giggles...

Thursday, July 26, 2007


I had a very special date today.

One of Kayboo's bestest friends is having a birthday tomorrow, and unfortunately, we already had family plans. As you can imagine, my little social butterfly was "somewhat" distraught that she would be missing the glorious festivities. (Of course the mom of the birthday girl insists that it's a get-together and not a party, but that not so much matters to my child.) So anyway, we decided to pick up the birthday girl and take her for a quick lunch and then on to Marble Slab for ice cream. (Please let me take a moment to share my concoction...Dark Chocolate & Cheesecake ice cream with Heath Bar pieces...oh my glutton!) But back to our date...

These two little girls are quite hysterical. Everything made them laugh and giggle. And I do mean everything. Had I realized it takes such "wit" and an unbelievable commitment to silliness to be a part of this clique, I would have brushed up on some knock-knock jokes. As it was, I was completely outfunnied by my child and "Bree-Bree, Cutie-Patootie", as she has now been officially labeled. We laughed, and I enjoyed such conversations that you can only imagine. I have to admit that most of the humor went right over my head (okay, some of it went under my skin, but that was due to my child and not Bree-Bree, Cutie-Patootie.) Why is it that something that you can find completely endearing in someone else's child just grates the heck out of your nerves when it's your own? I'm not saying that I don't enjoy my daughter's humor...I do, but I like it in portions. Today...? No portion control.

I think I've figured it out. There is a fine line between silly and obnoxious. At certain ages, the line is so vague and blurry that it is rarely ever noticed. I am sincerely grateful that all the kids who are friends with Kayboo are line-blind. In fact, Miss Bree-Bree, Cutie-Patootie is quite the enabler. (I'll have to speak with her mom about this.) She completely enjoys (and that is a serious understatement) Kayboo's humor, regardless of which side of the line it's hovering over.

Today was a joy because of that relationship. At those times when (for me) that line had all but been demolished by my little comedianne, Bree-Bree, Cutie-Patootie's fantastic laugh would quickly remind me that...you know what? She just might be funnier than I'm realizing. Maybe I do think she's being too silly, or too loud, or screaming "I love High School Musical!" out of the blue way too frequently...but there is no denying that the kid has personality.

So my date today was a treat and a treasure. I was able to spend some quality time with one of my beautiful children and one of her bestest friends. I was able to indulge in that "oh so yummy" ice cream for a perfectly ligitimate reason. And I was able to see my Kayboo through the eyes of a fellow seven-year-old. That is my treasure. I will try to not inflict my version and view-point of "humor" onto my little comedianne. I will try oh so hard to appreciate "all" of her silliness. Of course, I'll continue to remind her of how, where, and what is appropriate. I'll still cringe when she insists on using potty-humor. I'm sure it will almost always startle me when she screams out her undying devotion to Disney musicals without warning. But you know what? Without all of that...? She wouldn't be as magical. And my little seven-year-old is something else.

Oh yeah,
Knock knock...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your days and late night adventures. I am thoroughly enjoying reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm finally home and done putting away groceries and have a minute to check out your creative work. What a neat way to look at the day. It is a good reminder to me of how unique this age is and that I know one day I will miss all of the silliness and all of the giggles. You are a great writer, it's fun to read.

kg said...

What a fun day, love reading your writing...truly a talent!!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley