This has been a bit of an interesting week.
On Sunday, I thought one of B's eyes looked a little bloodshot. She stayed home from church and school until I could get her into the doctor's office. On my way TO her appointment on Monday, I received a call from our school nurse about K. Nice.
K, apparently, had developed quite the rash.
So it was rush through B's appointment...which confirmed she did indeed have a light case of pink eye...then on to the school to pick up K...who wasn't allowed back in her classroom due to the unknown freak rash now spreading rampant across her body. I ran B back home so she wouldn't have to suffer through two waiting room experiences in one day, then made it back to the doctor's office right smack in the middle of the afternoon rush. Fun. I'm grateful they fit us in, though. K was completely miserable. She was itchy and in pain and trying so hard not to scratch. Eventually, we ruled out Strep...Scarlet Fever...Shingles...or an allergic reaction to just about anything.
It was decided that K had a virus that had manifested itself in the form of a rash. The rash was the virus's way of trying to leave the body. Weird. The places that had the rash actually had fever to them. The rash wasn't bumpy or splotchy or like any rash I had ever seen. It was as though someone took portions of K's skin and tried to burn them with a blowtorch. The strangest shapes on her ribcage, then her shoulder blades, then down her entire spinal column and over her kidneys, her ARMPITS, sometimes her hips, below her belly button, even one time around her eyes. Her neck and back may have been the worst. It looked so bad, I was scared. I had no way to know if the fever in these places would just give in and take over her entire system. One place would start to fade, only to reappear on another part of her body. So bizarre! A migratory fevered rash. What every girl wants.
K has been taking oral steroids ever since and has been rash free for almost a full 24 hours. She is exhausted, though. Aside from the trauma of the rash itself, the meds are making her a bit nuts. Well, more like super-mongo-crazed-grumpy...but we grit our teeth and bear it.
Tomorrow is the day.
B's last day of eye drops. The girl refuses to wear her glasses in public so has to let the drops absorb on her eye for an hour before putting her contacts back in. It is quite the ordeal. But one more dose of drops and it is over! :)
Tomorrow is also K's last dose of those nasty steroids. We are praying the rash/virus is gone for good. She needs to get back to a somewhat normal emotional state...and they both need to get back to school. The make-up work...can you imagine?
So today, when I asked everyone what they are thankful for...I got a less than enthusiastic response. Well, except for B. She was thrilled with a trip to Sonic earlier in the day. Silly, easy kid.
Steve is thankful for a couple of days of from work.
Me too. I love when he's home. It feels like a vacation...even if all our regular stuff is still going on. I just appreciate having a partner through all of it.
B is thankful for a Cherry Lime-Ade.
She is definitely my child! Nothing like a Cherry Lime-Ade or a Green Apple Slushie to take the blues away.
K is thankful for "nothing".
Really...that's what she said. Poor thing. But she redeemed herself later on.
Lil man is thankful for the 9 Reese's cups he ate today.
Yep. Nine. He really wanted 10, but accepted the 9 when I threw in a Hershey's Kiss. Why did I allow so much chocolate? Long story. But trust. You would have too.
I am thankful for inspiration...whether it's for me or from someone else. Either way, I see the blessings and I feel incredibly humbled.
K's redemption.
The girls were asked to make a "Thankfuls" list during Activity Days tonight. One of K's leaders told me that she had a slow-go getting started, but once she gave it some time...she was on a roll. (I'm not surprised she had a hard time at first...seeing as how she had answered "nothing" only 30 minutes earlier.)
K's Thankfuls (the spelling has not been corrected to protect the innocent):
1. that I can smell
2. that I can taste
3. clean water
4. my dogs
5. my brother
6. stores
7. cinnamen rolls
8. good food
9. edjecation
10. Mill Creek
11. big room
12. washing machine
13. babysitter
14. my rash to be gone
15. dryer
16. games with my family
17. siblings
18. sleep
19. money
20. cars
21. safety
22. health
23. activity days
24. medicane
25. shelter
26. our blogs
27. Santa Clause
28. holidays
29. family
30. freinds
31. nice people
32. blessings
33. prayers
34. scriptures
35. fun
Me too, K. Me too.
Tombstone
6 years ago






6 comments:
Cherry limeades are my favorite!
Praying that everyone is better & life gets back to normal!
K isn't thankful that she's going to hang out with me in a few weeks? :)
I can totally sympathize with K. Steriods are awful. Hope everyone is on the bend and life gets back to normal soon. Loving your thankfuls.
Wow, I hope everyone is getting back to normal there. Bri will be sad to hear about K's rash.
Green Apple Slush...love it! :)
Isn't it nice to have the husband home for the everyday bits of nothing? Heaven. And tell K that I'm thankful for nice people too.
I love K's thankful list!
Post a Comment