We didn't remodel the half-bath for kicks.
Why did we gut a completely functional, albeit completely bland and unattractive, bathroom...leaving ourselves without our most-used and most conveniently placed bathroom for 6 weeks? (Steve was out of town for half of this time. Ugh. Advice: Don't begin a project that you can't complete on your own if your husband is not around to do the job.)
Why?
Answer: Lil man.
Elaborate?
If you insist.
Lil man was slap-dab in the middle of his "I can do it myself" phase when he decided this included going potty. Being the accommodating mom that I am, I allowed this independent endeavor. I heard the shoes being kicked off (because you know you can't go potty if there are shoes on your feet...silly people), I heard the tinkle, I heard the flush...the slamming lid...the fumbling for shoes with pants around ankles (because you know it's much too easy to pull your pants all the way up before you put your shoes back on...silly), I heard...a strange banging/ripping sound and then the most horrifying CRASH imaginable!
I had been waiting at our pass-through in the living room, so I made it to the hall bathroom in record time...but what I saw almost made me LITERALLY vomit on the spot.
The sink had been pulled out of the wall, and there was my son, crouched down with his arms over his head...protecting himself, from the huge mirror that had fallen from over the sink and had SHATTERED ON TOP OF HIM! As quickly and as carefully as I could, pulled him out of the bathroom and immediately began inspecting him for cuts and clinging shards of glass. I have to be honest. I was FLIPPING OUT. I have handled emergencies fairly well in the past, but this was not one of those times. I was trembling and kept fighting the rising bile in my throat. I was terrified, absolutely terrified, of lil man's supposed injuries. Lil man was scared. He just kept staring at me with the hugest eyes I've ever seen.
What I discovered in the next instant was that lil man didn't have one single cut or scratch on him. He didn't have even one little shard of glass on him anywhere. How was this possible?! I kept running my fingers through his hair expecting to find something...! I looked in his eyes over and over. I checked his mouth, his ears, his nose, I took off all his clothes. Not a single cut. Not a single shard. I remember I couldn't stop from looking again and again in the bathroom. There was glass everywhere. I had seen the broken mirror and frame on top of his little body. I had pulled it off. Yet, he was absolutely and completely 100% perfect.
A miracle. A perfectly miraculous occurance. An angel visited our home that day. He protected my precious child against a potentially horrific accident. I know I'm not perfect...I make mistakes, but how grateful, oh how grateful I am for this divine intervention. What a time for me to pour out my gratitude and love to my Father in Heaven! I am humbled by His love.
When I say it is a joy to pee, I am not necessarily being flippant. I am, in all honesty, being sincere. I, in my "laugh through the emotions" way, really do find joy in our newly remodeled bathroom. The room in the hallway will always be a reminder of our special visitor that day and of how blessings are sometimes so amazing...they take your breath away.
Tombstone
6 years ago






8 comments:
Praise the Lord that he was okay! I have been in a situation very similar with Trevor. It was horrifying. I'd like to say that I work well under pressure, but I was a mess...crying out of control, which only freaked him out more.
This is amazing, Dana. How did you manage to not tell us this part of the story at reading group? Then we could have all shared miracle stories. I am so, so glad C was okay. And you have a beautiful new bathroom to remember your miracle by.
Awesome story. It is always good to have a reminder of a Greater Being.
I can't believe this Dana. When was this? I am so glad he is ok.
Wow. That is a miracle. I can't believe he didn't even have a cut! That gives me chills and makes me want to cry at the same time. So glad he was protected.
Wow! I can't believe there was not even one scratch, what a humbling experience to listen to! I'm so glad he is okay.
So glad he was alright!
I remember when K was a baby and that mirror from your fireplace mantle fell and I grabbed her so FAST!!!
Ug...darnit. I commented as Jarom yesterday on EVERYONE's blog. :\
Post a Comment