Finding goodness in the yuckiness...

Thursday, January 29, 2009

First, I must recognize how blessed my family has been over the past couple of years to have escaped passing sicknesses. The girls have had strep throat only once in two years, lil man has had a couple of runny noses that only lasted a bit of time, and I had the flu...but it left before I really began hating life. All in all, I feel extremely blessed.

That being said;
We have been SICK...Suh-Ick...this past week...with a capital Ugh and Ick.
Lil man began throwing up late late Friday night...and as of 6 short hours ago...is still doing just that. This poor child has thrown up close to 30 times in the past 5 and a half days. He is so hungry, but so wary of any food since it all seems to make a most unfortunate reappearance. He's been trooper, though. He knows now to reach for a towel when he feels sick...he even wipes his own mouth. He's so exhausted, that once he fell asleep on the couch and stayed asleep for a few hours (before waking up sick, of course) and once he even fell asleep face down on a pillow as he attempted to watch the girls play a game. Poor guy. And he NEVER sleeps ANYwhere except his own bed. We've had to adjust more than one overnight set of plans to accommodate our little non-sleeper. Anyhoo...a cough has now joined the party, but honestly, that seems kind of remote right now.

B succumbed to the nastiness around 2:30am Wednesday morning. She even had a fever with hers...lucky girl. What I considered to be the worst part of B getting sick is not that she was sick (of course that was horrible and it broke my heart), but that it happened while I was in the throws of my own personal sickness heck. I seriously ached so badly, I just wanted to pass out. *Pitiful, but I need to accurately document this past week so we can look back on it when we think we're feeling yucky in the future. :)*

So far, K is fine...a huge blessing. I have kept her home since the nurse explained to me how incredibly contagious this is and that even those who don't manifest symptoms, will still be carriers for 36-72 hours. Of course, the incubation period is still not past since we can't seem to get a break from vomit. Ick.
And since I'm riding the whining train right now, let me continue...
The nurse said this virus should last from 3-7 days. SEVEN! DAYS! And it looks like we may be striving for the highest number. My family is nothing if not high-achievers. ;)

The other bit of wah wah wah I'd like to document for all posterity...
Steve is out of town on business. WAH!
I see-saw between just wanting him home because we could each really benefit from having him here, to utter worry over him getting sick in the midst of this uber-important trip.

But I digress.
I know many many many others struggle through moments of sickness, sadness, and worry. I would never diminish anyone's trial by presuming mine is greater. What I can do...is more fully appreciate the times we enjoy health, when Steve is home, when sleep comes in greater increments than 2 hours & isn't interrupted by needing to once again change sheets/towels/clothes, clean floors, check temperatures, and do the general reassuring children need when they are woken from sleep in most disturbing manner, and the laundry...oh, the laundry...don't we all know about laundry during sickness. Another interesting blessing that caught me completely off-guard is that I find I am grateful (and who knew this was even possible?!) that my smell and taste are still completely nonexistent. The lack of those two particular senses has been a saving grace over the last few days.

My respect and admiration grows even greater for single parents, or parents who go it alone for whatever the reason. I never take for granted the blessings in my life. And even though this week hasn't been my favorite, I am thankful for once again being reminded of my blessings and miracles. I have always appreciated the times we enjoy "missing out on" viruses and such, and now my appreciation is deeper.

I may be living in a fog right now, but my fog isn't grey and dreary...it has a lovely silver lining and the promise of many fun colors on the horizon.

And now, I am going to lay back down. I'm feeling weak and sweaty. Fun...

11 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm gad to see that my "eternal optimist" attitude has been inherited by you. Life is so much better if we can put things in perspective. Soon the days of yuckiness will be just a memory, and you can all enjoy the bright days of good health! I'm sending online hugs and kisses to all [the only safe way]!

Lisha said...

Oh, I am so sorry. The bug hit our house, but nowhere near the extent it hit yours! Let me know if I can do anything!

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry that you all are still down with this! It is just beginning to rear its head here - got the sore/numby throat, sick to our stomachs and occasional hot/cold. Please, Please call if you need something - 7-up, sprite, crackers, laundry help...

Beth said...

oh I feel ya on the yuckies! I'm so sorry you and your kids have it. It is truly the most miserable thing to suffer. I had 7 stomach viruses last year, just getting over the 7th one a few weeks ago so I am scared stiff to leave my house right now with this nasty one going on!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Dana! You and your poor family! It is so sad to watch the little ones get sick, and you can hardly help them yourself. You can make it lady, you can. We love you!

*Lisa* said...

You poor thing! I will tell you what, I would not be seein' the silver lining right now, that is for SURE. I hate puke and if it went on for days I think I would seriously DIE.

I hope things clear up soon! I miss you :) Again, let me know if there is anything I can do. Anything. Really.

Wait, except for cleaning up puke, because then I would probably puke. But you'd never ask that ;)

Dawn, said...

OOOOooOHhhhh NooOoOOOoo!!! Sounds like exactly what we had last week!! I hope you are all on the mend.

Cari said...

I broke out in chills just reading this. What a poor, pitiful lot! I am so gonna add you guys to our prayers. It sounds like you could use all the help you can get.

Julie said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear everyone is sick! Praying that ya'll recover quickly!

Jessica M said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry!! I hope the sickness leaves, soon! If y'all need anything, call. Really.

Shaunte' said...

I found your blog from Lisa, she was telling me how you are trying to get people interested in blogging! I love to blog. Hope ya'll feel better soon. I think we are doing play group at my house next week.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley