Pumpkin carving and pumpkin guts...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We had our annual pumpkin carving shebang with the G family last night. As always, everyone had a great time laughing over silly kids and slimy pumpkin guts.


B & K's finished products.


In case you can't tell, K's says "Halloween" and B's is a (and I quote) "jack-o-lantern within a jack-o-lantern".


Little man's masterpiece alongside my beauty of a find from the patch and my favorite sign of the season.


Rewind to how they came to be...

Little man enjoyed using markers like his "sistahs". They didn't actually use markers on their pumpkins, but he didn't seem to notice (thank goodness...that's all I needed was for him to want to use a knife).
(Just 'cause I love looking at that cheek.)


B saying: "No, I am going to do it ALL myself."
And she did...every bit. She even suffered through all the pumpkin guts. She sometimes prides herself on being a tomboy, but when it came to scraping out the guts, she said: "This is gross. I'm going to be a girl about this."
K sawing away to get the top off.
After all that hard work, she "let" her daddy finish up the details.


Sweet L painting her jack-o-lantern. She said it was just too small to cut.


Unlike my B, this B loved digging out the guts. Up to the elbow.


T drew his face first, then decided that was good enough.
Yay for Mommy S who buckled down to carve for an hour so he would have a jack-o-lantern of his own.


And what were the little guys doing while all this gutting and carving was going on...?
Making a mess and enjoying it.


And getting into board games that are normally a no-no.
(Hmmmm...Do you think he knows that?)


This pictures makes me laugh every time.
K and L are gutting K's pumpkin and trying to gross Steve out.
He wasn't really, but it looks like it...which is good enough to amuse me. I just love the guts hanging off L's hand. Who knew slimy pumpkin guts could bring so much joy?
The kids and their finished jacks! Aren't they great?!


We love spending time with the G's. They are easy to be around and we always find reasons to laugh. Our pumpkin carving nights are always a great start to a fantastic Holiday season.
We "witch" you all a Happy Halloween"y" week!

7 comments:

Lisha said...

We are going to do our first pumpkin carving this year... I've been avoiding it as long as I can!

Dawn, said...

The kids did their carving last night and need no, NO, assistance. I think they gave their granny many heartattacks weilding their knives, but no accidents, only lovely jack o lanterns. Yay! Love your girls creativity!

Lisa said...

It's always more fun with friends...looks like everyone had fun!

Cari said...

We are carving ours tonight. I am curious to see how Noah reacts to the guts. It should be fun. I think I am gonna let him loose on his pumpkin with a marker like your lil man did.

Stefanie H said...

ah so cute! and i love the vinyl signs! :) I love the last picture of B posing with her pumpkin hehehe Maybe me and Dusty will carve some this year!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Lots of fun! I'm especially proud of Bradleigh for carving and finishing her product all by herself. The pictures of the Giles were great, too. :)

Anonymous said...

You are such a braver mother than I was. I would never have let either of you near a sharp knife or object. So I guess you missed out on pumpkin carving as a child. I just hope that we did other "safe" things that were fun. Remember, if you get a cut, don't let me see the blood!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley