I am sorely vexed.
Mr. Darcy have I slandered in my most wretched of hearts.
Last night I watched...again...Masterpiece Theater's Persuasion. Aahhhhhhh.
It is so good. I mean, good, as in A&E's Pride and Prejudice, good.
Every time I watch...nay drown...in Persuasion, I am completely enraptured with Captain Wentworth. (sigh) Captain Frederick Wentworth. (sigh)
Oh the looks that dashing man can bestow. (sigh)
I found myself forgetting all about dear whatshisface...I mean Mr. Darcy.
In fact, I actually did remember him at one point, only to poo poo him into the shadows of my mind so as not to be distracted. Oh the shame. I am ruined.
Okay, so it's really not that bad...but I did have to pop in my old standby DVD of P&P to see the "piano scene". You know, the one where Mr. Darcy finally sees Miss Elizabeth Bennett for the beautiful woman she is as she kindly deflects ungracious comments directed toward Miss Darcy, the beloved sister. Oh, how many times I have rewound to watch that "look". A lot.
As I watched love bloom in Mr. Darcy's eyes, I felt the familiar stirrings begat from years of Mr. Darcy adoration. I love his constancy. I love how he completely gets over himself to really allow himself to love who he wants to love. And I just really love that "look".
Alas. Captain Wentworth is also a man given to giving good looks. (sigh)
I fear it is all in vain. Mr. Darcy will always hold a place in my heart, but Captain Wentworth...Frederick, as I now call him...may just very well have snagged a bigger part.
I need to tell Steve. He has always "politely suggested" that no man could ever really be Mr. Darcy. Wonder what he'll say about my dear Captain? Probably that he's a fruit and no real man would mope around in tights...or be in the Navy. But he can say what he will. It matters not to me. I will not be moved. My mind is settled.
Or maybe I can combine the two in true Hollywood fashion...
Darc-worth. Went-cy.
Nah. I have to choose. (sigh)
Pray, who shall it be?
Reserved and self-contained, yet generous and constant Mr. Darcy...?
Or gallant and longing to be passionate Captain Wentworth?
Good thing I have my own real-life version in Steve, minus the tights.
Yes, please tell him I said so. :)
Tombstone
6 years ago






2 comments:
I love Jane Austen. My mom is nuts over her. Did you watch Becoming Jane? Very good too, not near the magnitude of P&P but fun to watch!
Dana, this might be your best post yet. :) I love the version you are talking about, too. Have you seen the newest Jane Eyre? There's some passion for you.
Post a Comment