Faith of a child...

Monday, September 8, 2008

My children were very entertaining this weekend.
They just say the darnedest things, you know?

Friday night, after family prayer and scripture, we were talking about faith and prayers. Steve was explaining to the girls what it means to pray in faith with a righteous intent. K wanted clarification that if she prayed to be able to walk on water "like that one guy", that she would indeed be able to walk on water. Steve clarified that yes, she would indeed be able to, if that was what HF needed her to do, but to ask to walk on water just for the sake of walking on water...probably wasn't going to happen. We reminded the girls that praying for things that will help us be better people and will remind us to be more like Jesus are the correct things to be praying for...not just to see if something will happen...no matter how cool it might be.

K said: "So that's why it didn't work at the pool."
(Insert loud laughter here.)

Here's the rest of the story...
K was at the pool with a couple of friends. She had this brilliant idea that since her flip-flops were (and I quote) "really good and floatie", she should be able to walk on water. And not wanting to leave anything to chance, she decided to cover all her bases and say a quick prayer. Obviously, there was no walking on water that day. She did ask us how come "that other guy got to" walk on water. We discussed that particular account again, emphazing how walking on water for that one time was not just mere water sport...it was a test of faith. K looked at us like we just didn't understand her at all and said: "What do you think I was trying to do? I guess it just didn't work so well, huh?"

No K, it didn't work so well. You didn't need to walk on water. But I think you showed your amazing amount of faith by simply trying in the first place.

Little man has a new expression. It's a bit confusing, but it suits his purposes just fine...
"I almost not done yet."
Figure that one out.

Yesterday, we were all outside, relaxing, and reading books while enjoying the lack of heat and humidity. Little man discovered an ant and let it crawl onto his finger. He was immediately attached to this ant. No amount of persuading was getting that bug off his finger. He would intently watch it crawl up one side of his finger and down the other...and laugh and laugh. I tried to warn him that the bug might bite him, but he would absolutely not believe me. He said: "Bug not hurt me. Bug tickle. He silly." Very soon after the tickling had begun, little man decided to pet the bug. (yeah, didn't really work) He did realize something was wrong and relented to show the bug up close. There sitting on my son's index finger was a nicely smooshed ant...in two pieces. We told him the bug was smooshed and suggested he might want to rub his finger on the ground to get rid of the bug pieces. Oh he was not for that idea at all.

He looked so sad while he questioned: "Bug is squooshed? Bug is broken?"
Steve confirmed the diagnosis and (it must be a boy thing to mention disgusting details) told him that the bug's head came off. Thanks honey for that detail.

Instead of giving up, little man's eyes lit up and said: "Oh. His head come off? Okay. Mommy can glue it back on. Mommy, you glue bug's head back on? Yes. You glue his head back on and he can crawl again."

I'm not sure where his faith was exactly...in the glue or in me...but that's the kind of faith that takes my breath away. (And once again I melted into those little puddles of me.)

6 comments:

Julie said...

Too cute!

Jessica M said...

Oh darling!

And I agree, little man is definitely a genius in the making. In fact, he kind of freaks me out. Tell him to program the Jonas Brothers to play when I walk in the room.

(PS- I'll give you the DL on my blog header tomorrow night, easier to say than type)

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

Aren't they just awesome?!?! I wish I could have just a smidgen of Little Man's faith....(although I seriously doubt that I would use that faith to fix bugs....I personally believe that they are better when they are smooshed... ;))

hope said...

I love the simple, easy to find faith that is my childrens'. It is amazing to me sometimes!

Dahnelle said...

Way too cute.

kayboo said...

You are right it was to CUTE!
Glad I was there when it happened!

Sicerely your loving daughter,
kayboo

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley