Food for Thought

Friday, November 16, 2007

Here it is...Pecan Pie Cake!

Many of you have indulged in this sinful dessert.
Some of you have already received this recipe.
And few of you may make the mistake to never even try this one.

Big mistake.

This cake has completely replaced Pecan Pie for my entire family, even extended, for the holidays. Even a couple of families I have made it for have now gone over to the cake side as well. So if you haven't been blessed (that's right I said blessed) to have ever eaten this, you must must must bake it up for the holidays!
You will not be disappointed.

If you already have this recipe, maybe this will serve as a reminder that this cake does exist and really is within the realm of possibility that you, too, just might get to indulge once again in this 'eyes roll back in your head' dessert.

(Please take note of the asterisks.
These are crucial to the perfection of you concoction.)

Pecan Pie Cake

(first layer)
½ cup butter
1 box Butter Pecan cake mix (minus ¾ cup) *
2 cups pecans
1 cup brown sugar
2 TBS water
2 eggs, beaten

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Pour into a greased 9x13 dish.
Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.


(second layer)
¾ cup cake mix (saved from box)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup whole milk
1 cup Karo syrup

Mix all ingredients well. **
Pour over first layer. ***
Bake additional 30 minutes or until medium-dark brown.

*DO NOT forget to set aside this 3/4 cup!!! DO NOT forget!
**When you mix these ingredients, they will not smooth out.
It will look gross, and this is completely normal.
***When you pour it over your first layer, DO NOT pour it in the middle. Things will get ugly! Pour around the sides and let it move itself into the middle.
Other than that, you should be good.

This will not be the prettiest cake you've ever seen.
In fact, I think it is the ugliest cake I've ever seen.
It does not matter. You will inhale, devour, & drown in its goodness. Grown men who swear they only like cake with icing have melted under the power of this creation. I kid you not.
And my personal little tip...fight with all you've got in you for a side or corner piece!!!

Enjoy!

Hey, I know...if you've eaten this before, leave a comment so the newbies can see that I'm not just strangely obsessed with this cake.
Okay maybe I am, but just coddle my delusion, please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're bringing this tonight, right????

Cari said...

My hubby loves pecan pie so I look forward to 'wow'ing him with this. I'll let you know how it goes. Thx!

Mandi said...

This is THE BEST cake ever! Dana is not even exagerating a little on this one. Charles loves this cake so much that he bugged me for almost a month to call Dana to get the recipe, and now I have been told that I am making 2... that's right 2 of these yummy cakes for Thanksgiving dinner!

Jenni said...

This is absoultely delicious! It is definitely on the list for Thanksgiving! And worth every weight watcher point to be sure!

Leslie said...

Yes, you are right. It is a blessing! I have been blessed to make and eat this wonderful cake a few times. I made this for my mother, who is a pecan pie nut (get it?) for her birthday and she fell in love! She tells everyone about it. I have passed it along to many as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe with me and helping me bless the lives of others :)

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley