Thanksgiving & Halloween...a great combo

Sunday, November 1, 2009

November brings many things...
Crispy crunchy weather-
More football games-
Yummy yummerson food-
Christmas shopping-
Christmas music & decorations-
Family times-
Thanksgiving!
Every day this month, my goal is to have each of my little family recognize something or someone they are thankful for. Today we start:
Steve is thankful for peace in the home.
(when we get it, but that's a different post)
B is thankful for not being grounded.
(we'll see how long it lasts)
K is thankful for playing games with the family.
(of which I won today, thank you very much)
Lil man is thankful for sammiches.
(he doesn't even eat them, but hey, whatever)
I am thankful for fun times with my little people.
(see below for the most recent)
~
Halloween Night!
We had an avian/human hybrid. (Seriously. It's from a young adult series B is in love with.) But ain't she cute?
~
We had a witch. (Obviously, a good witch...or at least smiley.)
~
And every Halloween must have a Santa. (HO HO HO)
~
Still HO HO HOing.

~
Earlier in the day, we went Trunk-or-Treating at church. The kids loved it and began "The Great Candy Run of '09". See lil man's expression? He doesn't necessarily think a piece of paper is as great as all the candy available. What he didn't realize is that it is a coupon for a free Frosty. (That's okay. I'll just enjoy that later.)
~
Backstory:
Lil man had asked to be Santa for weeks now. I, of course, put it off as long as possible. I thought it was a great idea, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I don't exactly sew, you know. But as time went on and lil man's Santa resolve didn't waver, I bought what supplies made sense to me when faced with a non-sewing Santa costume-making dilemma. Two nights before Halloween, I brought lil man's fireman costume from last year out of storage and spent a while trying to convince him that a fireman would be a great costume. I told him that he could ask: "May I help you, ma'am?" Yeah, he didn't buy it. He had his heart set on Santa.

Okay, fair enough. I buckled down...put my shoulder to the wheel, so to speak...and spent the next two hours cutting and re-cutting and learning the joy of spray adhesive. I even ironed "TOYS" on a red pillowcase for him to use as a candy collector.

I know...Genius, right? ;)

Anyhow...as we were getting ready to go out Trick-or-Treating that evening, lil man decided he had had enough of Santa and was ready to be a fireman. Stinker. Steve and the girls tried to convince him to be Santa again...(They were sad for me after all the work I had put into the costume. Sweet family.)...but no go. Lil man was determined.
So a fireman he was. And don't you know...every time someone came up to say "hello" to him, he would look them straight in the eye and say: "May I help you, ma'am?"
He made quite a lot of friends.
~
My little people: an avian/human hybrid, a fireman, and a witch.

~
Let's take a moment to appreciate the goob that is K:








~

Trick-or-Treating with friends is always a great time!

~
Even lil man found one of his idols...not the transformer, the little boy IN the costume. Lil man LOVES this guy! Fortunately, this sweet kid loves and tolerates lil man.

~
Not a picture of B with friends. She was off and gone...houses ahead. (She's a big kid now, you know.) But she did stay with us most of the time. I have to give her credit. A good kid is a good kid even when they need friend time apart from the rest of us.
~
Several neighbors really spookify their yards and houses. The best one is the haunted pirate ship. B went through multiple times and found great fun in high-fiving the scary pirate at the exit. He was supposed to scare the mess out of everyone, but B thought he was cool.

~
Steve finally convinced K and lil man to go through. And they made it out alive! Whew.
~
Another thing I'm thankful for...?
Candy...er, um...just kidding.
I'm thankful for a Happy and Safe Halloween!

10 comments:

Beth said...

You've got to be kidding me?! The entire Santa costume without sewing?! That is incredible! Good job! At least he wore it once? I love the witch costume too!

kg said...

Great costumes, C is so cute ho-hoing...

Dawn, said...

The snapshots of K made me laugh out loud, seriously, that gal is animated and so very fabulous!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

I think Carter in his santa costume was my favorite part of Halloween this year. And that Pirate house looks seriously cool.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I wish I could have gotten my picture taken with Kayla. I love all the costumes.

Natalie said...

Looks like a fun Halloween night. Great job on the costumes! Missed seeing you guys this year!

Bianca said...

K's facial expressions are priceless!! Fun costumes! I thought your Santa Claus was perfect!!

Anonymous said...

That pirate place looks fun! Loved the costumes and seeing y'all at trunk or treat.

Stefanie H said...

Aw everything was so cute! Loved the photoshoot of K, she is mighty gorgeous.

Sandra said...

Great costumes - great pictures - great fun! Thanks for the pictures.

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley