The terrible 2s ain't got nothin' on us.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Fearsome Fours.
Yuck.

I've heard about this stage, but my girls somehow glided through their fours without too much turmoil. In fact, I remember ADORING the fours with my girls. As I worked through the bittersweet last week of lil man being three, I found myself looking forward to the glorious fours.

Right.

Somewhere between the day before his fourth birthday and this moment in time, my son...my baby...my precious lil man, has transformed into this...ugh...boy. I don't mean "boy" as in all boys are ugh-able. I mean "boy" as in the type-cast generality of boys being mean and loud and national disaster-style energetic.

Lil man has always been energetic...my lil tornado. We have now hit new realms. Lil man has always been physical. We have now hit new realms. Lil man has always had an extremely advanced vocabulary. We have now hit new realms...all of which are not pleasant.
But the temper tantrums...these are new. And they are NUTS!

I know this is a phase. I know this too shall pass. I know the beauty of being consistent with time-outs. I know I adore my son even when he just walks up and hits *hard* for no reason at all. What I don't know is...WHEN this phase ends. His independent streak has already far surpassed his sisters. Yikes. He knows what he wants and will stubbornly go after it. He does NOT like to give in and say "sorry". It has to be on his own terms. It's almost as though he knows he won't really mean it if he says it just because we tell him he should say it...so he obstinately waits until he's really ready. At times, this is laughable. Other times...not so much.

I think I look at this phase as one that I should be able to "fix". Only a month ago, he was kinder and more patient...but only a month ago, he was three. Obviously, the years have taken their toll and four is just brutal. (smirk) I don't want to wish away any of his developmental years. I don't want to look back and wonder how it all flew by so quickly. Even during the frustrating moments, I try to find my snapshot memory. I know phases can't really be rushed or fixed. And I really don't want to rush or fix anything, but the hitting...? Well, now...THAT is getting on my nerves.

And that, my friends, is a jumbled mess of a mommy's emotions.
I'll get right to work on untangling them...

4 comments:

Beth said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Oh, carter. I just can't imagine him anything but cute! Maybe he and Sam can get together for a knockout round...

Natalie said...

No, not C...But I can relate as we seem to be in the thick of some pretty serious 2 year old behavior here. Gratefully, the 4 year old in this house is a pure delight. Maybe it's a girl thing. Good luck.

Bianca said...

Hey Dana - just visited your blog and wanted to tell you that I think your new design is so cute!! I love it! And I'm sorry I've been stalking you through my google reader :D I promise to be better about leaving lots of blog love in the future! Let's do a play date sometime soon too. Hope you have a fabulous Halloween weekend!

"IN ALL OF LIVING, HAVE MUCH FUN AND LAUGHTER. LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT JUST ENDURED."
-Gordon B. Hinckley